Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ideas for new Forum rules
honeypot

Poll

Should the "Looking for:" forum allow replies to posts?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Ideas for new Forum rules  (Read 12768 times)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Ideas for new Forum rules
« on: Aug 13, 2004, 04:35 »
In the past three years, this website has evolved from a little bulletin board to a powerful tool for us NukeWorkers.  Still, I see a couple of ways it is being abused.  So, I'm suggesting some new rules to keep it from getting out of hand.

First, the forums should not be used for free advertising.  If your business has something to sell, buy an ad and leave it at that.  Currently the Careers section is so cluttered with this type of post that you couldn't tell if a real job offer was in among them.  It has always been one of the best features of this site that it is a tool for employers and NukeWorkers to hook up.  The way it is now, most of the posts that look like they might contain job info are just someone hawking correspondence courses.  If this stuff is going to be allowed, maybe it should be limited to a Goods and Services section.

Second, the Looking For section is a great tool for old friends to get back in touch.  But, replies should not be allowed.  If I want to find someone, I can post a notice with a way for that person to contact me.  If that person reads the post, he/she can reply off this site only if he/she wants to.  If that person is not a member, someone who is can simply alert him/her to the post.  It's a real problem when a third party chimes in and says "He's at Vogtle" or something like that.  Anyone who wants to find me knows where I am, but not everyone wants to be found by every schmo they ever met.  You might think you're being helpful, but you could be tipping off someone who was being avoided for a good reason.  I'd hate to see this site be the means for some stalker or jealous psycho ex-lover to track down and hurt someone.

Anybody else have any suggestions?
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2004, 05:37 by Rennhack »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Re: Ideas for new Forum rules
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2004, 10:14 »
I may be wrong, as I often am, but regardless of whether a person replies to a post under "looking for someone" or whether they just click on the screenname of the poster and im or email them, the results could be the same. The only difference I can see is that you would be telling one person where to look and not the entire site.

In todays world of technology I don't believe that this site would be the only source for looking up people if someone intended to to do harm.

DainJer

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2004, 10:25 »
You are correct Carmella, I think he is referring to token replies like "Half the women in the state are hunting for him, good luck".

The statement adds no value to finding the person, and invites snide comments from others...the "pack of dogs theory"...once blood is drawn they all jump in.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2004, 10:42 »
I don't want this to sound combative, but I can buy heroin in a certain part of town.  Does that mean that I should be allowed to buy it at 7-11?  My main concern is for the privacy of the individuals.  If John Doe doesn't have a current address for Jane Roe, it is very likely that there is a reason for that, which is nobody's business.  Jane is the only one who has the right to decide if he gets that information.  Also, posting it here makes it available to all those other guys whom she doesn't want to have it.
There are a few old buddies I'd like to find again.  The reason I won't ask here is that someone might tell me where they are.  I don't want to be responsible for that kind of thing being made public without permission.  If replies are not actually blocked, at least we can police ourselves and have some respect for the privacy of others.
Secondly, I'm concerned for Mike and this site.  If some creep gets an address off of Google and goes there to hurt someone, that's not Mike's problem.  If that info was passed over this forum, without the knowledge or permission of the subject, there could be lawsuits involved.  If you think he doesn't lready get enough grief over the things we post here, you should ask him about Pet Cow and the U.S. Secret Service.

« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2004, 10:56 by Beer Court »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2004, 12:09 »
Troy has a good point.

Troy, would you be interested in beeing moderator of the "Looking for" section??

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2004, 01:54 »
Troy has a good point.

Troy, would you be interested in beeing moderator of the "Looking for" section??

I heartily second the motion!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2004, 02:43 »
All in favor, say "Aye"

Aye
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2004, 02:44 by Rennhack »

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2004, 04:44 »
Before I vote, can I be sure of the motion? Is the motion
1. We vote Troy as moderator over Looking For and leave the rules the same;anyone can post a reply?
or
2. We vote Troy as moderator over Looking For and change the rules to where you can only post a question and not a reply?

It may seem trival, but its important to me.

If the answer is Number 2, then I say AYE.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2004, 09:04 »
Sure.  I'll do it.  May not always have access when on the road, but I've had very few problems so far.
BTW, I favor something in-between.  I don't see anything wrong with a reply like, "I know him, and I'll get him your message." Or, even better, "Tell me your real name and I'll tell her who's looking."

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2004, 10:45 »
Motion carried, the Aye's have it.

As moderator, you could make that call.  We will still allow people the ability to post replies, however, YOU would have the ability to delete and edit any message in that forum as you see fit.

You could also coach people in the proper usage of that area, and you can post a "sticky" message with suggested instructions as to the usage of that area.  As of now, you are the moderator of that area. (Oh, I also made you moderator of all of the "Career Center" areas and "fallen" as well.  Most of them didn't have a moderator.)

There is a hidden message board for moderators that you now have access to as well.  You can post any questions you have in that area as to what should and shouldn’t be deleted if you have any questions.  There is also some good gossip there. Lol. :)
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2004, 10:50 by Rennhack »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?