Career Path > Radiation Safety

New to the JHP BIZ Fill me in...

(1/2) > >>

Tina:
Hello Nuke's, ::)

Just a quick question... ???  I am coming from a Nuclear Security background and have been at a Nuclear Power Plant for the past seven years...However I felt a need for change and jumped at the opportunity to train with Bartlett Co. to become a JHP can you'al give me some idea of what will be coming my way... 8)
ie: 1.  ;D What's considered a good pay rate vs :'( whats a poor pay rate.
     2.  8) Types of perks to look for  ::)
     3. :) best vs worst lodging types  :(
     4.  :-* some of the better places to work at.

HydroDave63:
Lots of climbing around and getting dirty sometimes, bored other times, 20:1 guys , some scoundrels, other techs with a LOT of experience and knowledge to share. It's a big adventure, and you might make some friends in the process. Have fun!  ;)

RAD-GHOST:
So long as you don't have to sell your sole to the company store, probably a good move.  There seems to be an air of mystery to this program.  I keep hearing about it, but only through the grape vine, without details.  Even without the details, any formalized program is a plus!   

As far as Junior training and experience, like Hydrodave said, lots of climbing around and getting dirty.  If that ain't the case, your in the wrong place!  Most sites stick the juniors behind a desk for umteen years, then one day, they expect them to pick up the instruments and jump into the field with flawless results.  Getting out in the field and doing the job with experienced techs is crucial!  That was the way of the industry in the past, but economics errased that type of training.   

The good, the bad and the ugly!  You have to see them all to establish a future foot hold on your career.  You will see and hear a lot of rumbling on a variety of issues, on different sites, companies and people on this website.  Some true, some not!  As a junior, I suggest you take whatever comes your way, you need that 4000 to 6000 hours to meet the ANSI qual's.  Stay flexible, diversified and open to new ventures.  Take the sure things and forget about the speculative offers.  There are a ton of companies looking for people at this time and will be in the future!       

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: Tina on Aug 17, 2004, 02:53 ---Hello Nuke's, ::)

Just a quick question... ???  I am coming from a Nuclear Security background and have been at a Nuclear Power Plant for the past seven years...However I felt a need for change and jumped at the opportunity to train with Bartlett Co. to become a JHP can you'al give me some idea of what will be coming my way... 8)
ie: 1.  ;D What's considered a good pay rate vs :'( whats a poor pay rate.
     2.  8) Types of perks to look for  ::)
     3. :) best vs worst lodging types  :(
     4.  :-* some of the better places to work at.

--- End quote ---

My answer to question 3 will always be "Buy an RV!!!".   If you don't mind room mates, it's usually fairly easy to find someone to split a vacation rental or hotel room with, but...

As far as questions 1, 2, & 4...you won't have many options for your first few years - there are so many people clawing for so few spots that you will end up having to take whatever jobs are available.  Don't despair tho'...once you make 3.1 Senior, it IS a great lifestyle.

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!  :)

Atomic_Punk:
Stay away from the BS politics, don't be a suck- up, nobody likes suck- ups
except for other suck-ups, keep an open mind, ask LOTS of questions (there
are no stupid questions), volunteer for jobs so you can get some experience.
If you don't pipe up, they'll leave you at a control point and you'll just sit there and rot.  Don't go on jobs with Unca Buffalo, he only likes the really nasty ones! ;D (just kidding, you'll learn alot from the folks like him) Keep a positive attitude and enjoy yourself. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version