Career Path > Training, Tests & Education

Thomas Edison Degrees

(1/3) > >>

em1:
I am a 19 1/2  yr. Navy Nuclear Electrician ready to get out.  I have a Bachelors in Business and just finished my MBA, but want something techincal under my belt.  Does the Thomas Edison State College Nuclear Technology Degree have any weight with Nuclear plants if you want to be in operations ?(ie SRO,AUX OPS, SRO).  It is not ABET accredited, but I don't want to be an engineer. I can utilize all my Nuclear Power technical credits and General Ed credits from my business degree and have about 5 classes to complete it.

Roll Tide:
From the research I did there are only two accredited Nuclear Reactor Technology Bachelors programs per TAC of ABET: Thomas Edison and Excelsior. Get the 2 calculus and 2 physics-based calculus courses and you qualify for Shift Technical Advisor (STA) in commercial nukes. This is what OPS looks at to determine if you have a "real" degree.

em1:
Hi Roll Tide --Thanks for responding.  I investigated earlier and found out Thomas Edison is not ABET accredited, but Excelsior is.  Also, the Physics courses from Thomas Edison are only algebra-based not calculus- based.  That is why I am wondering if the Thomas Edison degree will help me get an operator job quicker and move up quicker---or because it is not ABET it is not worth my time. ???

Roll Tide:

--- Quote from: em1 on Aug 24, 2004, 07:33 ---Hi Roll Tide --Thanks for responding.  I investigated earlier and found out Thomas Edison is not ABET accredited, but Excelsior is.  Also, the Physics courses from Thomas Edison are only algebra-based not calculus- based.  That is why I am wondering if the Thomas Edison degree will help me get an operator job quicker and move up quicker---or because it is not ABET it is not worth my time. ???

--- End quote ---

The real question is if you have the calculus-based physics, not if it was required. You could have a bachelor's that didn't say "nuclear" or "engineering" and still qualify for STA. Some companies only hire for Senior Reactor Operator (SRO) class those who meet STA criteria.
It wouldn't matter much for getting your foot in the door as NLO / Auxiliary Operator, but would be a consideration if you are trying to move in at a higher level.

em1:
Roll Tide -I understand--I will go through with the TE Degree(includes Calc 1&2) since I only need 4 classes and I could always take 2 calculus- based physics courses later if need to (ie STA opportunities)  Thanks for the info!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version