Career Path > Navy:Getting In

officers q's

(1/3) > >>

dep759:
Ok I posted earlier about subs and got some advice to a good book to read. However, I read some of the other post and Ive found that many people argue that its better to try to get into an officers position than to try to move up in nuclear power school from enlisted to officer. So do you think that I should pursue the officers position? Right now Im a senior in high school with slightly above a 4.0 gpa and live in florida. So far Ive depped in as an enlisted nuke but my ship date is jun 13. Its just that my recruiters really pushing for me to go enlisted then to try officer. What options do I have?

jeepgirl1:
To become an officer, you need a 4 year degree.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go enlisted Nuke then work my butt off with the goal of getting a nod for the Naval Academy or getting picked up for STA21.

Already Gone:
With a 4.0 GPA what are you thinking?????!!!
The Navy enlisted nuke program is for people as smart as you who DIDN'T get good grades.  Basically it is for intelligent underachievers like me.
Get your butt into a four-year college right this very minute!  If DEP is still the way it was back when I went in, they'll tear up your contract if you get accepted to college.
Can't afford to pay for it?  Try for a full scholarship.  There are lots of them, NROTC being only one.

Hey, maybe it won't turn out that way but you have to try!  With your grades you at least have a chance at free college.  But, if you don't try it now, you will never have that chance again.  Better get moving.  Already you're about a year behind.  By the time this year's juniors get to be seniors, their 4.0's will be worth a lot more thatn your stale ones, and they will be applying in a couple of months.

Did you take the SAT's?  What did you score?

Look, you've done all this work to get those grades, take this chance to make them pay off before they become nothing but bragging rights.

If all else fails, you can take comfort in the fact that you are one of the few who qualifies for NPS, which for you will be one really good backup plan.

Best of luck to you.

dep759:
Ok thanks alot I was wondering though whats the nrotc program anyway?? My recruiter never told me about it. Of course he also wants me to stay enlisted then try to claw my way up to officer. As far as sat scores I made the minimum 1270 for the florida gold seal which gives me 100% but my recruiter did point out one thing. The scholorship doesnt cover books etc. He also showed me an article about how more and more kids are having difficulty finding jobs after college. Thats my main problem getting money for living expenses.

jeepgirl1:
Hey,
NROTC info, check here: https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/  If you're considering the ROTC route, also look into AFROTC (www.afrotc.com) and Army ROTC (www.armyrotc.com).  All are great in that they pay for tuition and books, plus give you a few hundred dollars a month for living expenses if you qualify for a scholarship.  I know a bit about AFROTC, so if you have any questions about that feel free to PM me.  The only thing is that you still have to come up with living expenses, which will run you upwards of $1000 a month when you look at rent, utilities, food, car insurance, health/dental insurance, etc.  You can get loans, but I'd try to keep them to a minimum. 

Working fulltime while going to school is NO FUN and will more than likely hinder you in your studies. 

As for enlisting, you should research STA21 and getting an appointment to the Naval Academy. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version