FPL (Flordia Power & Light)

Above Average
3 (13%)
Average
7 (30.4%)
Below Average
13 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: NextEra Energy (FPL)  (Read 94209 times)

nukemm1

NextEra Energy (FPL)
« on: Oct 23, 2003, 10:07 »
???  ok, I'm coming up on 90 days until I get out of the Navy.  Almost 11 years, Nuke Mechanic, Watch Supervisor Qualified, blah, blah, blah....ok, so why is it so hard to even get to talk to somebody about getting jobs.  I get emails, phone calls, and letters every day from recruiters/ "headhunters" about other job opportunities not in the nuke field...but, they all say the same thing - wait until January to begin a hard push for interviews, etc.  Well, I guess I may suffer from ocd or something, cuz waiting until the last minute makes no sense to me.  So, I am trying to get my foot in the door of nuke power, especially with FPL (wife wants to move back to Florida), but finding the right door, or the "key"  to that door has been hard.  At this point, I am just looking for some advice, or guidance, or (what the #@%$, I'm not above groveling) even contacts.  
By the way, thanks Amy for the help yesterday, and I will hopefully find something before you get back in business, but if not, I will definitely be giving you a call in January!  ;)

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
Re: Getting my foot in the door @ FPL
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2003, 10:41 »
Do a lot of research on whatever utility you want to sign on with.  Plants are being bought and sold like good-time girls at Mardi Gras.  Those transitions do no favors for the employees and are geared strictly to the maximize the profit that can be squeezed out of the plant(s).  A few have been immune but they are the exception these days.  Quite a few posters to this site can clue you in on what to expect.  You can look at DOE but their presence in Fl. is limited.  If you think it doesn't make sense now, hold on to your phart sack......it rarely gets better.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2003, 02:25 »
MOVING OUT IS MOVING UP!
Good decision to get out.  ;D
Good news: Turkey Point is the fastest way to get into commercial nuclear power. The current site VP, Terry Jones, had a similar Navy background, and they like Navy Nukes there.  :D
Bad news: Turkey Point has vacancies for a reason. I couldn't stay down there due to the situation in the Homestead area for my school age kids. That may not be a problem for you.  :'(
Call (305)246-1300 for the main switchboard, and try to get someone in HR, such as Dave Goodrault, to give you some idea of when they will test for the next Operator class.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline coolbreeze20650

• Light User
  • Look over your shoulder!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2003, 06:29 »
Dave's number is 305-246-6732, e-mail is dave_gaudrault@fpl.com.  Spent 14 years here, good starting place out of the navy.  Send him a resume.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2003, 01:42 »
 Expand your search!  Although Florida may be the state of choice, Homestead may not be the prefered city.  Although Turkey Point has improved over the many years, the area has not!  It is no secret that the area can be hazardous to your health!  I know many of people who tried to make a go of it there, but not many survived the area.  If you have children, fogetaboudit!
 Lately I have been doing quite a bit of research in the Oak Ridge area.  I said, " Area "  There Seems to be a lot of opportunities there and a ton of companies to approach.  Since you are presently working for the Government, with a clearance, you'll be beating them off with a stick!.  Although it isn't Florida, the quality of life in that area is at least a thousand time better then Homestead, plus they speak your language!
 Although you may be a little antzi to get yourself lined up for your future career, I would suggest you check out an areas census information, before you commit, including Crime Statistics!  Homestead is in Dade County, I think that stands for Do And Die Environment, I'm not sure?
 Also check out the logistics of the opportunity.  Turkey is one isolated site, located on the southern tip of Florida.  Future resources are few and hard to come by.  Oak Ridge is a hub of opportunities, everybody, who is anybody, has an office there!  A ton of opportunities in every facet of the industry.  Although it ain't Florida, it ain't far!  One last statistic on Tennessee, the area is centrally located to over two thirds of the countries population.  If you have ever been to Turkey, you know it takes you at least eight hours just to get out of the state!
 Good Luck and start your research at the US Census Web Site!

jackmehoff

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2003, 03:25 »
FPL!  Don't do it Davey.

nukemm1

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2003, 03:39 »
:o Ok, so....um, you guys sure you don't have side jobs as advertising execs or something? Cuz ya'll really sold me on FPL...heheh (sarcasm, if it was too subtle for ya).  Anyway, wow.....still can't get over the responses from the forum and emails on how poor an area Homestead (Dade) county is.....my wife has read some info from people that myself and/or her has come across and has had a slight change of heart on the "we're going to Florida, and that's it" thought process, and is willing to look in other southeastern and southern states (as far west as Houston area and as far north as Tennessee/South Carolina)...so where does that leave me? Hmmph, I don't know.....any suggestions?
This whole process makes me feel like Kelly Bundy in the gameshow episode of Married with Children, when she is learning new trivial gameshow info go in one ear....and, for example, garfield and odie go out the other ear....brain overload! LOL.....FPL, DADE cty, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria....(ugh) in one ear - Xe equilibrium, alpha T, Rx startup rates and rod speeds out..... ???
Ok, enough rambling....I'm gonna call my "shrink" now and talk about my rough childhood and why it has led me to where I am today.....LOL
Thanks for all the info folks! Any and all is appreciated.
By the way, 87 days left! Woohoo!

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2003, 10:12 »
I didn't say don't go to FPL, but don't go in with your eyes shut. There are reasons few people move down there and stay over 5 years. If you don't have kids in public school and your wife won't work outside the home, then consider it. Just remember the directions they give you to the plant is the nicest way in: wander around the Florida City, Homestead, and Cutler Ridge areas before making a final decision.  :-/
One more thing: the apartments built since the devastating Hurricane Andrew are all low income subsidized housing, don't try living there.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2003, 12:50 »
I would recommend keeping that clearance current!  You would be surprised to see how many more opportunities are available with a Government Clearence, ( L & Q's ).

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2003, 03:53 »
I would recommend keeping that clearance current!  You would be surprised to see how many more opportunities are available with a Government Clearence, ( L & Q's ).

Be aware that a US military clearance does not readily transfer to a USDOE clearance.  It will help with the paperwork and may give the investigators an easier time but the USDOE and OPM have their own ways.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

Offline St Raphael

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2003, 05:58 »

Be aware that a US military clearance does not readily transfer to a USDOE clearance.  It will help with the paperwork and may give the investigators an easier time but the USDOE and OPM have their own ways.

Oh yes, they certainly do have their own ways...
"Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, Not because they never found it, But because they didn't stop to enjoy it."  -- William Faulkner (1897-1962)

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2003, 06:07 »
For what it's worth all your time in the "Canoe Club" counts toward retirement, seniority, etc, in government jobs. When you get to be an old codger it seems a little more important, or at least a hindsight kinda thing.
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Jimi

FP&L prereqs for SRO
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2007, 07:05 »
Great Site! I've been lurking for about a week and found some great advice.  Perfect mix of huggers and hardasses. Two questions about FP&L.
1. Do they stick to the E8/E9 requirement for direct SRO or will they waive it based on quals/degree? 
2. I've heard the pay isn't enough compared to the cost of living near Turkey Point and St. Lucie.  Any advice?
Thanks.
Jimi

Fermi2

Re: FP&L prereqs for SRO
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:28 »
Great Site! I've been lurking for about a week and found some great advice.  Perfect mix of huggers and hardasses. Two questions about FP&L.
1. Do they stick to the E8/E9 requirement for direct SRO or will they waive it based on quals/degree? 
2. I've heard the pay isn't enough compared to the cost of living near Turkey Point and St. Lucie.  Any advice?
Thanks.
Jimi

Whats's the E8/E9 Requirement? There is no such animal.

Best guy to ask is M1Ark, he's an SRO at St Lucie. Try sending him a PM as some of the stuff he might say isn't something that he might not post in public.

Mike

Jimi

« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:08 »
Thanks Mike. 

FP&Ls Nuclear Plant Unit Supervisor job posting for Turkey Point states:
Position Requires: Military experience: Commissioned Navy Nuclear Officer - OR - Navy Nuclear Senior or Master Chief Petty Officer qualified EOOW, PPWS or EWS. Five (5) years recent leadership experience. Commercial experience: Minimum of three (3) years with an active Senior Reactor Operator license at a PWR plant. Outstanding leadership skills, including superior coaching, strong communication and excellent personnel performance management and development skills.

It doesn't make much sense to me which is why I asked.  I've got a decent amount of time left but I'm partial to living near the beach and making good cash.  Figured some early research may help me out later on.  I'll have 8 years RO, 5 years EWS and just under 2 as EOOW when I get out but I won't meet the TIR for E8 without re-enlisting and I don't want Florida that bad.

Jimi 

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:45 »
Thanks.
Jimi

I worked at Turkey Point for 2.5 years. Until a month ago. I was a field operator but it is true they don't pay enough for the area.  We heard it straight from the VP that they will never pay what it costs to live there.  For the Unit Sup's they also will pay a $1000/month towards your mortgage and it is still tight. A average house is ~$350,000.
As far as E8/E9 thing I was an E6 in the navy (EWS) and I was offered an instant SRO as I was leaving.  I left because how the company treats it's employees and of the area. Turkey Point as one of the highest if not the highest attrition rates in the industry.
I ended up getting an instant SRO position at another plant in a lower cost of living area.

Good luck,
Doug

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:12 »
Try any of the plants in the Carolinas or try Surry. They're within easy driving distance of the beach, in nice areas, the cost of living is lower and they pay just as well.

Mike

M1Ark

« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:30 »
Diablo Canyon is hands down the best nuke plant near a beach community I have seen.

Tough to beat.

M1Ark

Jimi

« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2007, 03:52 »
Thanks for the info/advice.  I'll look into those other plants.
Jimi

Mad Yogi

« Reply #19 on: Jul 28, 2007, 08:10 »
I am from Florida for 5 or 6 generations and worked FPL for the first time in '84...As all these gus say.....Be very careful about your decision......One site not mentioned by the above is Savannah River Site in South Carolina...the local Parsons engineering branch will be screaming for Navy Nukes next year..but now now...I know the guy hiring, but he wants Navy.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2007, 10:03 »
Ah... this thread is 4 years old. :)

Justin

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
FPL (Florida Power & Light)
« Reply #21 on: Sep 09, 2007, 12:46 »
Talk about this company.  Don't forget to vote.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007, 08:55 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
Re: FPL (Flordia Power & Light)
« Reply #22 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:35 »
Sum up FPL in one word......SUCKS! As (name removed by moderator) would say, I'd rather blow goats at a quarter a herd then ever work for those people again..nuff said.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 10:11 by Nuclear NASCAR »
Call Before You Dig!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: FPL (Florida Power & Light)
« Reply #23 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:56 »
Sum up FPL in one word......SUCKS! As (name removed by moderator) would say, I'd rather blow goats at a quarter a herd then ever work for those people again..nuff said.
How do you really feel?
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 10:12 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #24 on: Sep 10, 2007, 09:36 »
Here at Turkey Pt its all "Fun in the Sun" and the pay us too.  Long breaks, plenty of feasts, big break room, and cheap rent. Free drugs in the parking lot and the ladies of the night are cheap.  Every night here in Homestead their filming for the TV show "Cops" so we have a "shot" to be on TV.  It dont get no better than this.  I am spoiled.  By the way this might be hard to believe , but there are house tech jobs available.  Hey Radbastard you might want to check the office to see if you still have a slot at St Lucie the word out on the streets their cutting at least six slots the good news  is that there are six openings at one of the Exlelon plants.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #25 on: Sep 11, 2007, 01:40 »
Gone downhill, huh? Used to be a decent company to work for.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 10:12 by Nuclear NASCAR »
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: FPL (Flordia Power & Light)
« Reply #26 on: Sep 11, 2007, 08:35 »

Sounds like a disgruntled employee to me. I am working here as a 'Temp' FPL Employee (contractor with a parking pass) and it is no worse than other utilities. Not a glowing recommendation, I agree, but they treat me pretty well, they pay on time (as long as the paperwork is right and gets to the right people) and most of the folks are friendly. The area is a bit expensive and there are some less-than-desirable neighborhoods nearby, but I could say that about a lot of places. In the balance, I am happy to be here and have a pretty good gig going.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 10:13 by Nuclear NASCAR »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

stownsend

« Reply #27 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:18 »
If you're going to quote me please don't take it from one area and put it into another utility's area. I don't think I ever said that about FP&L. I did say it about another utility.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #28 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:25 »
If you're going to quote me please don't take it from one area and put it into another utility's area. I don't think I ever said that about FP&L. I did say it about another utility.
You seem to be confused, we quoted fueldryer.

stownsend

« Reply #29 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:30 »
I'm stating fuel dryer used my name to bad mouth FP&L and I never did that. I did use that quote for another Utility and it should not be used with my name out of context!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #30 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:35 »
I'm stating fuel dryer used my name to bad mouth FP&L and I never did that. I did use that quote for another Utility and it should not be used with my name out of context!
Ahh, I see it now.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #31 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:05 »

I agree... moderators would this not violate the forum rule against posting someone's name?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #32 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:14 »
I agree... moderators would this not violate the forum rule against posting someone's name?

Well said as always, and you're right.  Hopefully we've got that fixed now. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #33 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:21 »
So now that the name has been deleted, does anyone have anything else to say about FP&L?

They (the regulated FP&L utility, not their operations outside FL) pay "better than average for the region" according to their own management. Of course, this means that they are claiming to pay better than Russellville, AR / Dothan, AL / Rural GA / Rural SC / etc.

But the cost of living in Miami-Dade County or Port St. Lucie / Martin County is higher than even Atlanta or NC's triangle. They will have to pay some serious $$$ to get people to go there, and even more $$$ to keep them.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:59 »
...They will have to pay some serious $$$ to get people to go there, and even more $$$ to keep them.

They have even instituted a 10% 'retention' payment to each paycheck for (permanent) Turkey Point FPL employees to keep them here. There is also a bonus for qualified RPs. I don't fall into either category here.  :(
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline XGDubNuke

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #35 on: Sep 13, 2007, 01:33 »
I know that there are a lot of factors that would work into this, but would you say that FP&L would be a good choice over say a plant in an area with a similar cost of living and pay?
Basically I'm asking if this is a good place to work for, while trying to avoid all the comments about my question being too vague.

Thanks.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Sep 13, 2007, 07:31 »
I know that there are a lot of factors that would work into this, but would you say that FP&L would be a good choice over say a plant in an area with a similar cost of living and pay?
Basically I'm asking if this is a good place to work for, while trying to avoid all the comments about my question being too vague.

Thanks.

OK, without saying your question is to vague, I will say there is insufficient data to process your request. Is that better?

There are WAY too many factors to calculate into the equation (and it is an equation.) I have no idea what you are looking for in an area. Do you speak Spanish? It would help around here if you did. I am not passing judgement on whether or not that is good or bad. I do speak some Spanish and my girlfriend primarily speaks Spanish... we are both improving. Do you have kids? Do you like warm (or very hot) weather? How about hurricaines? Evacuation is a possibility, even a probability at some time or another if you live here. Playing golf in the winter is pretty nice. Playing golf in August, not as nice.

That is the tip of the iceberg (which is not an issue here.) Come down and spend a week or two and gather information. BTW, I recommend that anywhere you go. Personnaly, I like it here -- but I am not selling my house in Maryland any time soon.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #37 on: Sep 13, 2007, 04:02 »
I worked at TP for 3 years.  I liked the people I directly worked with but the area is not so good and it is expensive to live there.  Also for me I have a 13 yo daughter and the schools were terrible.  FPL is a fair company to work for.  Anywhere you go there will be issues. It was my experience that you made more money there but the company was not as employee friendly as others. 

Would I work for them again? Yes I would but only at St Lucie. I have family within 45 minutes of that plant. Plus I am a native Floridian and generally like Florida. As long as it is north of I-595 or south of Florida City.

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
« Reply #38 on: Sep 13, 2007, 07:09 »
The cordintator and the supervision on the Bartlett side have been great.  Actually in my humble opinion is that the whole Bartlett group has been great (IM on Days) HP's and Deconners.  It was a little rough at the beginning  (really hot temperature everywhere in the plant), but everyone seems to be doing fine. 

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #39 on: Sep 13, 2007, 07:33 »
Please note that this thread is about the company FP&L, and them as an employer.  We have other threads for specific sites.  If you are working for Bartlett, there is a thread for that.  This is not the place to talk about your experiences working at a specific site owned by FL&P, or for working through a contractor.

This thread is for asking how FPL is as an employer.

Offline gammaman30

• Light User
« Reply #40 on: Sep 13, 2007, 07:43 »
The Training here is the best I have had any place!
top of the line instructors I don't see how they keep such Quality insrtuctor? for the HP'S at least.
They give you all the tools you need to succeed and great working conditions. if you can come here do it you will not regret it. and the women are cheap on the streets. you dont even have to get out of your car they come right up too you. cheap living too if you stay in a tent.
thats a plus. Im so spoiled.

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
« Reply #41 on: Sep 13, 2007, 08:38 »
Oh im sorry I was referring to the Bartlett people at Turkey PT.  I will take the fifth on the FPL. Its almost like an exelon plant without the cold weather.

M1Ark

« Reply #42 on: Dec 14, 2008, 03:00 »
Oh im sorry I was referring to the Bartlett people at Turkey PT.  I will take the fifth on the FPL. Its almost like an exelon plant without the cold weather.

Exactly!   They go out of their way to emulate the Exelon model.

alphadude

« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2008, 06:06 »
that anal huh?

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #44 on: Dec 15, 2008, 10:53 »
They have taken the next step to surpass Exelon, they mistreat everyone, union and non-union.

alphadude

« Reply #45 on: Dec 15, 2008, 02:31 »
wow deeply anal... my fav story about them is they hired a group to help them earn the Demmings Award in quality, when they won the award they fired the staff that helped them get the award.  A few years back when you went to corporate, they had guys in butler suits serving coffee and tea to the CEOs, and the lady receptionist had an IQ of 65 and a face and body to droll over for weeks... (miss world types.)

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #46 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:14 »
07-Jan-2009
FPL Energy today announced its new name, NextEra Energy Resources, which better reflects its clean energy mission and market focus. The company is one of the largest competitive energy suppliers in the United States with a portfolio of more than 16,900 megawatts, which includes power generation facilities in 25 states and Canada.

“Our new name – NextEra Energy Resources – reflects our focus on clean energy solutions and provides us with a strong brand platform to grow our business now and into the future,” said NextEra Energy Resources President and CEO Mitch Davidson.

NextEra Energy Resources remains an FPL Group company. During the course of 2009, the NextEra Energy Resources name will be rolled out to various operating company subsidiaries of NextEra Energy Resources. Along with the name change, the company has adopted a new logo, visual identity and Web site.

shootinghx

« Reply #47 on: Jun 23, 2011, 10:28 »
Look in InFPL.com   check out the job postings. FPL is doing some major restaffing. And, yes...Turkey Point is NOT the place to be. The job is great...but, it's like living in a third world country.  It's a shame...I grew up there.
Also, look into NextEra. This is FPL's parent company...you can work all over the US.

Offline Nichole

• Light User
NextEra Energy (FPL)
« Reply #48 on: Oct 09, 2012, 12:00 »
Ok, I read all of the negative comments about FPL and Turkey Point, but they're all several years old. I am considering a job at NextEra Energy's Corporate office in Juno Beach and was wondering if anyone had any up-to-date information. Like if someone has worked at the corporate office, what is it like? Do all of the negative comments about Turkey Point hold true for the corporate office? The information on their website makes it sound really nice. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2012, 01:15 by Nichole »

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
Re: NextEra Energy (FPL)
« Reply #49 on: Oct 09, 2012, 04:44 »
Take it. 

It's Cube-World land, but its a job.  Juno Beach is more Country Club than a work place.  You probably will not learn much, if anything, career wise but the beach is nice and the "work" environment is casual.  The game in cube-world is how to play the little office games which doesn't include being technically good.  At least you are playing them in a nice area vs say Kennett Square, PA or some other arm pit.

Comparing JB to PTN is liking comparing Midtown Manhattan with a central park view to the Bronx.

PTN might not be long for this world anyways as the top lifer FPL manager nukes have turned the EPU project to a money pit down power project.  Billions overspent, years over schedule, 70% DOWN power. 
Another plant destroyed by incompetent people.  Crystal River, SONGS, PTN.  the list goes on.

PTN I would only wish on my worst enemies for a direct position.  Not a bad place for a contractor since incompetence = contractor $$$$. Contractors are scoring $400K plus/yr..My engineering pals down there are taking home more than most of the Miami Dolphins.  $1.5 million for the EPU project and counting.   They contacted a start up friend of mine and offered $200/hr.  I guess the price for miracles is....$200/hr. 

See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

Offline Nichole

• Light User
« Reply #50 on: Oct 10, 2012, 10:55 »
Thanks, Loffy. I don't mind office politics too much, I've worked in that sort of environment before. I also like the location as I have family in Florida.

Forgive my ignorance but is PTN the abbreviation for Turkey Point? And what about the St. Lucie site, is it much better?

Thanks again!

surf50

« Reply #51 on: Oct 11, 2012, 10:43 »
PTN= Plant Turkey Nuclear
PSL= Plant St. Lucie

Is St Lucie better? Hard to answer..both plants are very different from each other in physical layout
and management style. The surrounding area is nicer than PTN's, definitely.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: Oct 11, 2012, 11:13 »
The St. Lucie area is so much better than the area around Turkey Point that it is hard to describe the difference. I think the plant is also better because the layout is more open and less cramped (some of the rooms in Turkey Point are almost comical because they are so hard to move around in.) It is hard to pick one management style over the other.

Juno Beach is not too far (~ 1 hour) from PSL and is also a beautiful area... very close to Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens, both home to lots of very wealthy people (think Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Burt Reynolds and dozens of other athletes and entertainers... and that is just Jupiter Island.) However, within a reasonable driving distance, there are some very affordable areas to live that are still nice.

Just a hint: Loffy Muffin has a tendency to... ummm... exaggerate a little. PTN is not 'billions over budget' nor is it going to be 70% down powered.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Fermi2

« Reply #53 on: Oct 11, 2012, 07:54 »
Let's face it:

"They contacted a start up friend of mine and offered $200/hr.  I guess the price for miracles is....$200/hr. "

That statement is straight up funny.

Offline Nichole

• Light User
« Reply #54 on: Oct 11, 2012, 11:48 »
I will take the job if it is offered; of that I am certain. I was just hoping to gain some insight into the work environment. Thanks to everyone who has offered a comment, all information is appreciated  :)

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #55 on: Oct 13, 2012, 12:22 »
PM- about 120/hr
engineer, sr...100-110/hr.
speciality (turbines, digital), startup eng, , director  150/hr and up.

OT- 10-20 hrs non-outage.
30-40 outage.

PD, tax free....900/wk.

These rates are higher than say, Duke-Southern-Anywhere else because most realize the extreme FPL incompetence at the manager level.  You earn your dough
The directs, engineering, maintenance, and op's were pretty decent people.  they have/had the same jaded view of the "juno beach jokers" that I had.  It takes a premium to get people there.

engage rad con math...

survey sez...

at 60hrs/wk engineer @ 100/hr is...$364K. Outage hours will push this higher.
The PD is tax free, which could get a 1.4 multiplier.
Most of the EPU people live in condos bought by inlaws during the 2008 RE meltdown for 30K cash
The minimum salary for the NFL is $375K.
No state income tax for florida.

No exaggeration.
Its also no exaggeration will age in dog years while making that money.

Let people that are ACTUAL PM, Eng, Directors comment on the pay and not low level pikers or rem-rags

See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

Graphic

« Reply #56 on: Oct 13, 2012, 02:35 »
PM- about 120/hr
engineer, sr...100-110/hr.
speciality (turbines, digital), startup eng, , director  150/hr and up.

at 60hrs/wk engineer @ 100/hr is...$364K. Outage hours will push this higher.
The PD is tax free, which could get a 1.4 multiplier.
Most of the EPU people live in condos bought by inlaws during the 2008 RE meltdown for 30K cash
The minimum salary for the NFL is $375K.
No state income tax for florida.

Yeah cause engineers work 60 hours a week 52 weeks out of the year.. no time off.. no vacation. Get your numbers straight at least. Most of the bechtel engineers here have barely been working overtime for the past month or two. FPL doesn't work much more.  Just because Florida doesn't have a state tax doesn't mean you don't get taxed by whatever state you do live in. They do make plenty of money.. but 1.5 million is stretching it.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #57 on: Oct 13, 2012, 11:43 »
Professionals don't usually get paid overtime, they are salary.

Offline Nichole

• Light User
« Reply #58 on: Oct 13, 2012, 11:50 »

I was just about to say that the hourly wages weren't useful to me as I would be paid a salary, but you beat me to the punch Renhack!

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #59 on: Oct 14, 2012, 12:00 »

And when they do it is normally at ST rate!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #60 on: Oct 14, 2012, 05:30 »
And when they do it is normally at ST rate!

Exactly.

The only time I get time and a half is when I work for Bartlett.  They pay many of their pro's time and a half.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #61 on: Oct 14, 2012, 07:30 »
Oh how nice it must be to live in your own little world.  A field engineer can make a good living.  But, anybody who will tell you how much he makes is usually lying.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: Oct 15, 2012, 08:13 »
Oh how nice it must be to live in your own little world.  A field engineer can make a good living.  But, anybody who will tell you how much he makes is usually lying.

BINGO!

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline newclearmoose

• Very Lite User
« Reply #63 on: Mar 25, 2013, 09:19 »
I know this thread is a little old but is it still as bad? How about the living costs since the housing market took a dive?

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
« Reply #64 on: Oct 18, 2013, 12:00 »
Don't bother.  NextEra is cutting (they say) 10 percent of their staff.  Go to some sites and it looks like they're trying to get rid of 20-25 percent.

And don't even get me started on "Project Momentum."
Also available in SOBER!

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
« Reply #65 on: Oct 18, 2013, 12:08 »

I work at a NextEra plant, and I'm making $25K/year less than what I made two years ago.  I also have the W-2's/paystubs to back it up.  They've gotten TIGHT on the OT over the past year, to the point where if you find something wrong with a piece of gear, instead of fixing it right then and there and possibly incurring some OT, hang a deficiency tag on it and they'll get to it later.

They're also doing cutbacks in personnel.  Offers made to number of folks already, and probably going to be more layoffs after the outage in April 2014, assuming the union folks aren't locked out/go on strike when the current contract ends in December.

A few of the highlights from those negotiations: Company wants to take away semi-crappy healthcare plan and put everyone on REALLY crappy plan, want to take away X1/X2 days so they can put maintenance folks on 12-hour (no OT) rotating shifts, Operations going to 12-hour shifts, exempt folks getting NO pay for overtime work, including outages.

Yeah, gonna be a real hoot here in the next few months.  Love me some of that Project Momentum!
Also available in SOBER!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #66 on: Oct 18, 2013, 01:16 »
Don't bother.  NextEra is cutting (they say) 10 percent of their staff.  Go to some sites and it looks like they're trying to get rid of 20-25 percent.

And don't even get me started on "Project Momentum."

NextEra is HUGE in subsidized wind generation,...

And the liability is exponentially less than nuclear,...

It's simple math,.... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
« Reply #67 on: Oct 18, 2013, 02:30 »
NextEra is HUGE in subsidized wind generation,...

And the liability is exponentially less than nuclear,...

It's simple math,.... [coffee]

Very true, but those subsidies are scheduled to expire in 2014--what then?

I've yet to see a wind project up here in the Northeast that was popular over the long term.  Most of them shut down because of resident complaints, lack of production or availability, or cost simply didn't meet what was promised, even with the subsidies.
Also available in SOBER!

Fermi2

« Reply #68 on: Oct 18, 2013, 02:50 »
Dude GO to 12 hour shifts!

Fermi2

« Reply #69 on: Oct 18, 2013, 02:51 »
Now the Government is realizing HEY uh Windmills kill birds like hydro kills fish... Guess what we need a regulation...

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #70 on: Oct 18, 2013, 11:26 »
Now the Government is realizing HEY uh Windmills kill birds like hydro kills fish... Guess what we need a regulation...

They always knew windmills were VAR-sucking bird-blenders. But they were a great way to pick winners by subsidies to donor megacorps and creating wacky rules for variable generation.

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
« Reply #71 on: Oct 19, 2013, 07:21 »
Dude GO to 12 hour shifts!

With NO OT?  And the exempt guys aren't getting paid ANYTHING.  Not even straight time.

At least that's the proposal.

Trust me, I wouldn't have a huge issue with rotating shifts if you didn't take away the OT.
Also available in SOBER!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #72 on: Oct 19, 2013, 12:04 »
With NO OT?  And the exempt guys aren't getting paid ANYTHING.  Not even straight time.

Trust me, I wouldn't have a huge issue with rotating shifts if you didn't take away the OT.

They could work them 10 and pay 8, without 12s. The root problem is that the offer communicates that they have too many exempts and aren't afraid of a few walking away IMHO.

Fermi2

« Reply #73 on: Oct 19, 2013, 02:56 »

I was exempt. They made their choice...

I did not realize they weren't offering the Union no OT. I think a 12 hour schedule is 8 OT hours per month.

I simply liked the added time off. A 7 and 4 off every 5 weeks was worth it.

Fermi2

« Reply #74 on: Oct 19, 2013, 03:16 »
Found it rather ironic Greenpeace protesting Windmills.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?