FPL (Flordia Power & Light)

Above Average
3 (13%)
Average
7 (30.4%)
Below Average
13 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: NextEra Energy (FPL)  (Read 94202 times)

Offline Nichole

• Light User
Re: NextEra Energy (FPL)
« Reply #50 on: Oct 10, 2012, 10:55 »
Thanks, Loffy. I don't mind office politics too much, I've worked in that sort of environment before. I also like the location as I have family in Florida.

Forgive my ignorance but is PTN the abbreviation for Turkey Point? And what about the St. Lucie site, is it much better?

Thanks again!

surf50

« Reply #51 on: Oct 11, 2012, 10:43 »
PTN= Plant Turkey Nuclear
PSL= Plant St. Lucie

Is St Lucie better? Hard to answer..both plants are very different from each other in physical layout
and management style. The surrounding area is nicer than PTN's, definitely.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #52 on: Oct 11, 2012, 11:13 »
The St. Lucie area is so much better than the area around Turkey Point that it is hard to describe the difference. I think the plant is also better because the layout is more open and less cramped (some of the rooms in Turkey Point are almost comical because they are so hard to move around in.) It is hard to pick one management style over the other.

Juno Beach is not too far (~ 1 hour) from PSL and is also a beautiful area... very close to Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens, both home to lots of very wealthy people (think Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Burt Reynolds and dozens of other athletes and entertainers... and that is just Jupiter Island.) However, within a reasonable driving distance, there are some very affordable areas to live that are still nice.

Just a hint: Loffy Muffin has a tendency to... ummm... exaggerate a little. PTN is not 'billions over budget' nor is it going to be 70% down powered.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Fermi2

« Reply #53 on: Oct 11, 2012, 07:54 »
Let's face it:

"They contacted a start up friend of mine and offered $200/hr.  I guess the price for miracles is....$200/hr. "

That statement is straight up funny.

Offline Nichole

• Light User
« Reply #54 on: Oct 11, 2012, 11:48 »
I will take the job if it is offered; of that I am certain. I was just hoping to gain some insight into the work environment. Thanks to everyone who has offered a comment, all information is appreciated  :)

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #55 on: Oct 13, 2012, 12:22 »
PM- about 120/hr
engineer, sr...100-110/hr.
speciality (turbines, digital), startup eng, , director  150/hr and up.

OT- 10-20 hrs non-outage.
30-40 outage.

PD, tax free....900/wk.

These rates are higher than say, Duke-Southern-Anywhere else because most realize the extreme FPL incompetence at the manager level.  You earn your dough
The directs, engineering, maintenance, and op's were pretty decent people.  they have/had the same jaded view of the "juno beach jokers" that I had.  It takes a premium to get people there.

engage rad con math...

survey sez...

at 60hrs/wk engineer @ 100/hr is...$364K. Outage hours will push this higher.
The PD is tax free, which could get a 1.4 multiplier.
Most of the EPU people live in condos bought by inlaws during the 2008 RE meltdown for 30K cash
The minimum salary for the NFL is $375K.
No state income tax for florida.

No exaggeration.
Its also no exaggeration will age in dog years while making that money.

Let people that are ACTUAL PM, Eng, Directors comment on the pay and not low level pikers or rem-rags

See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

Graphic

« Reply #56 on: Oct 13, 2012, 02:35 »
PM- about 120/hr
engineer, sr...100-110/hr.
speciality (turbines, digital), startup eng, , director  150/hr and up.

at 60hrs/wk engineer @ 100/hr is...$364K. Outage hours will push this higher.
The PD is tax free, which could get a 1.4 multiplier.
Most of the EPU people live in condos bought by inlaws during the 2008 RE meltdown for 30K cash
The minimum salary for the NFL is $375K.
No state income tax for florida.

Yeah cause engineers work 60 hours a week 52 weeks out of the year.. no time off.. no vacation. Get your numbers straight at least. Most of the bechtel engineers here have barely been working overtime for the past month or two. FPL doesn't work much more.  Just because Florida doesn't have a state tax doesn't mean you don't get taxed by whatever state you do live in. They do make plenty of money.. but 1.5 million is stretching it.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #57 on: Oct 13, 2012, 11:43 »
Professionals don't usually get paid overtime, they are salary.

Offline Nichole

• Light User
« Reply #58 on: Oct 13, 2012, 11:50 »

I was just about to say that the hourly wages weren't useful to me as I would be paid a salary, but you beat me to the punch Renhack!

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #59 on: Oct 14, 2012, 12:00 »

And when they do it is normally at ST rate!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #60 on: Oct 14, 2012, 05:30 »
And when they do it is normally at ST rate!

Exactly.

The only time I get time and a half is when I work for Bartlett.  They pay many of their pro's time and a half.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #61 on: Oct 14, 2012, 07:30 »
Oh how nice it must be to live in your own little world.  A field engineer can make a good living.  But, anybody who will tell you how much he makes is usually lying.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #62 on: Oct 15, 2012, 08:13 »
Oh how nice it must be to live in your own little world.  A field engineer can make a good living.  But, anybody who will tell you how much he makes is usually lying.

BINGO!
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline newclearmoose

• Very Lite User
Re: FPL (Florida Power & Light)
« Reply #63 on: Mar 25, 2013, 09:19 »
I know this thread is a little old but is it still as bad? How about the living costs since the housing market took a dive?

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
« Reply #64 on: Oct 18, 2013, 12:00 »
Don't bother.  NextEra is cutting (they say) 10 percent of their staff.  Go to some sites and it looks like they're trying to get rid of 20-25 percent.

And don't even get me started on "Project Momentum."
Also available in SOBER!

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
« Reply #65 on: Oct 18, 2013, 12:08 »

I work at a NextEra plant, and I'm making $25K/year less than what I made two years ago.  I also have the W-2's/paystubs to back it up.  They've gotten TIGHT on the OT over the past year, to the point where if you find something wrong with a piece of gear, instead of fixing it right then and there and possibly incurring some OT, hang a deficiency tag on it and they'll get to it later.

They're also doing cutbacks in personnel.  Offers made to number of folks already, and probably going to be more layoffs after the outage in April 2014, assuming the union folks aren't locked out/go on strike when the current contract ends in December.

A few of the highlights from those negotiations: Company wants to take away semi-crappy healthcare plan and put everyone on REALLY crappy plan, want to take away X1/X2 days so they can put maintenance folks on 12-hour (no OT) rotating shifts, Operations going to 12-hour shifts, exempt folks getting NO pay for overtime work, including outages.

Yeah, gonna be a real hoot here in the next few months.  Love me some of that Project Momentum!
Also available in SOBER!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #66 on: Oct 18, 2013, 01:16 »
Don't bother.  NextEra is cutting (they say) 10 percent of their staff.  Go to some sites and it looks like they're trying to get rid of 20-25 percent.

And don't even get me started on "Project Momentum."

NextEra is HUGE in subsidized wind generation,...

And the liability is exponentially less than nuclear,...

It's simple math,.... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
« Reply #67 on: Oct 18, 2013, 02:30 »
NextEra is HUGE in subsidized wind generation,...

And the liability is exponentially less than nuclear,...

It's simple math,.... [coffee]

Very true, but those subsidies are scheduled to expire in 2014--what then?

I've yet to see a wind project up here in the Northeast that was popular over the long term.  Most of them shut down because of resident complaints, lack of production or availability, or cost simply didn't meet what was promised, even with the subsidies.
Also available in SOBER!

Fermi2

« Reply #68 on: Oct 18, 2013, 02:50 »
Dude GO to 12 hour shifts!

Fermi2

« Reply #69 on: Oct 18, 2013, 02:51 »
Now the Government is realizing HEY uh Windmills kill birds like hydro kills fish... Guess what we need a regulation...

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #70 on: Oct 18, 2013, 11:26 »
Now the Government is realizing HEY uh Windmills kill birds like hydro kills fish... Guess what we need a regulation...

They always knew windmills were VAR-sucking bird-blenders. But they were a great way to pick winners by subsidies to donor megacorps and creating wacky rules for variable generation.

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
« Reply #71 on: Oct 19, 2013, 07:21 »
Dude GO to 12 hour shifts!

With NO OT?  And the exempt guys aren't getting paid ANYTHING.  Not even straight time.

At least that's the proposal.

Trust me, I wouldn't have a huge issue with rotating shifts if you didn't take away the OT.
Also available in SOBER!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #72 on: Oct 19, 2013, 12:04 »
With NO OT?  And the exempt guys aren't getting paid ANYTHING.  Not even straight time.

Trust me, I wouldn't have a huge issue with rotating shifts if you didn't take away the OT.

They could work them 10 and pay 8, without 12s. The root problem is that the offer communicates that they have too many exempts and aren't afraid of a few walking away IMHO.

Fermi2

« Reply #73 on: Oct 19, 2013, 02:56 »

I was exempt. They made their choice...

I did not realize they weren't offering the Union no OT. I think a 12 hour schedule is 8 OT hours per month.

I simply liked the added time off. A 7 and 4 off every 5 weeks was worth it.

Fermi2

« Reply #74 on: Oct 19, 2013, 03:16 »
Found it rather ironic Greenpeace protesting Windmills.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?