FPL (Flordia Power & Light)

Above Average
3 (13%)
Average
7 (30.4%)
Below Average
13 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: NextEra Energy (FPL)  (Read 94210 times)

nukemm1

NextEra Energy (FPL)
« on: Oct 23, 2003, 10:07 »
???  ok, I'm coming up on 90 days until I get out of the Navy.  Almost 11 years, Nuke Mechanic, Watch Supervisor Qualified, blah, blah, blah....ok, so why is it so hard to even get to talk to somebody about getting jobs.  I get emails, phone calls, and letters every day from recruiters/ "headhunters" about other job opportunities not in the nuke field...but, they all say the same thing - wait until January to begin a hard push for interviews, etc.  Well, I guess I may suffer from ocd or something, cuz waiting until the last minute makes no sense to me.  So, I am trying to get my foot in the door of nuke power, especially with FPL (wife wants to move back to Florida), but finding the right door, or the "key"  to that door has been hard.  At this point, I am just looking for some advice, or guidance, or (what the #@%$, I'm not above groveling) even contacts.  
By the way, thanks Amy for the help yesterday, and I will hopefully find something before you get back in business, but if not, I will definitely be giving you a call in January!  ;)

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
Re: Getting my foot in the door @ FPL
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2003, 10:41 »
Do a lot of research on whatever utility you want to sign on with.  Plants are being bought and sold like good-time girls at Mardi Gras.  Those transitions do no favors for the employees and are geared strictly to the maximize the profit that can be squeezed out of the plant(s).  A few have been immune but they are the exception these days.  Quite a few posters to this site can clue you in on what to expect.  You can look at DOE but their presence in Fl. is limited.  If you think it doesn't make sense now, hold on to your phart sack......it rarely gets better.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2003, 02:25 »
MOVING OUT IS MOVING UP!
Good decision to get out.  ;D
Good news: Turkey Point is the fastest way to get into commercial nuclear power. The current site VP, Terry Jones, had a similar Navy background, and they like Navy Nukes there.  :D
Bad news: Turkey Point has vacancies for a reason. I couldn't stay down there due to the situation in the Homestead area for my school age kids. That may not be a problem for you.  :'(
Call (305)246-1300 for the main switchboard, and try to get someone in HR, such as Dave Goodrault, to give you some idea of when they will test for the next Operator class.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline coolbreeze20650

• Light User
  • Look over your shoulder!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2003, 06:29 »
Dave's number is 305-246-6732, e-mail is dave_gaudrault@fpl.com.  Spent 14 years here, good starting place out of the navy.  Send him a resume.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2003, 01:42 »
 Expand your search!  Although Florida may be the state of choice, Homestead may not be the prefered city.  Although Turkey Point has improved over the many years, the area has not!  It is no secret that the area can be hazardous to your health!  I know many of people who tried to make a go of it there, but not many survived the area.  If you have children, fogetaboudit!
 Lately I have been doing quite a bit of research in the Oak Ridge area.  I said, " Area "  There Seems to be a lot of opportunities there and a ton of companies to approach.  Since you are presently working for the Government, with a clearance, you'll be beating them off with a stick!.  Although it isn't Florida, the quality of life in that area is at least a thousand time better then Homestead, plus they speak your language!
 Although you may be a little antzi to get yourself lined up for your future career, I would suggest you check out an areas census information, before you commit, including Crime Statistics!  Homestead is in Dade County, I think that stands for Do And Die Environment, I'm not sure?
 Also check out the logistics of the opportunity.  Turkey is one isolated site, located on the southern tip of Florida.  Future resources are few and hard to come by.  Oak Ridge is a hub of opportunities, everybody, who is anybody, has an office there!  A ton of opportunities in every facet of the industry.  Although it ain't Florida, it ain't far!  One last statistic on Tennessee, the area is centrally located to over two thirds of the countries population.  If you have ever been to Turkey, you know it takes you at least eight hours just to get out of the state!
 Good Luck and start your research at the US Census Web Site!

jackmehoff

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2003, 03:25 »
FPL!  Don't do it Davey.

nukemm1

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2003, 03:39 »
:o Ok, so....um, you guys sure you don't have side jobs as advertising execs or something? Cuz ya'll really sold me on FPL...heheh (sarcasm, if it was too subtle for ya).  Anyway, wow.....still can't get over the responses from the forum and emails on how poor an area Homestead (Dade) county is.....my wife has read some info from people that myself and/or her has come across and has had a slight change of heart on the "we're going to Florida, and that's it" thought process, and is willing to look in other southeastern and southern states (as far west as Houston area and as far north as Tennessee/South Carolina)...so where does that leave me? Hmmph, I don't know.....any suggestions?
This whole process makes me feel like Kelly Bundy in the gameshow episode of Married with Children, when she is learning new trivial gameshow info go in one ear....and, for example, garfield and odie go out the other ear....brain overload! LOL.....FPL, DADE cty, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria....(ugh) in one ear - Xe equilibrium, alpha T, Rx startup rates and rod speeds out..... ???
Ok, enough rambling....I'm gonna call my "shrink" now and talk about my rough childhood and why it has led me to where I am today.....LOL
Thanks for all the info folks! Any and all is appreciated.
By the way, 87 days left! Woohoo!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2003, 10:12 »
I didn't say don't go to FPL, but don't go in with your eyes shut. There are reasons few people move down there and stay over 5 years. If you don't have kids in public school and your wife won't work outside the home, then consider it. Just remember the directions they give you to the plant is the nicest way in: wander around the Florida City, Homestead, and Cutler Ridge areas before making a final decision.  :-/
One more thing: the apartments built since the devastating Hurricane Andrew are all low income subsidized housing, don't try living there.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2003, 12:50 »
I would recommend keeping that clearance current!  You would be surprised to see how many more opportunities are available with a Government Clearence, ( L & Q's ).

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2003, 03:53 »
I would recommend keeping that clearance current!  You would be surprised to see how many more opportunities are available with a Government Clearence, ( L & Q's ).

Be aware that a US military clearance does not readily transfer to a USDOE clearance.  It will help with the paperwork and may give the investigators an easier time but the USDOE and OPM have their own ways.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

Offline St Raphael

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2003, 05:58 »

Be aware that a US military clearance does not readily transfer to a USDOE clearance.  It will help with the paperwork and may give the investigators an easier time but the USDOE and OPM have their own ways.

Oh yes, they certainly do have their own ways...
"Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, Not because they never found it, But because they didn't stop to enjoy it."  -- William Faulkner (1897-1962)

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2003, 06:07 »
For what it's worth all your time in the "Canoe Club" counts toward retirement, seniority, etc, in government jobs. When you get to be an old codger it seems a little more important, or at least a hindsight kinda thing.
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Jimi

FP&L prereqs for SRO
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2007, 07:05 »
Great Site! I've been lurking for about a week and found some great advice.  Perfect mix of huggers and hardasses. Two questions about FP&L.
1. Do they stick to the E8/E9 requirement for direct SRO or will they waive it based on quals/degree? 
2. I've heard the pay isn't enough compared to the cost of living near Turkey Point and St. Lucie.  Any advice?
Thanks.
Jimi

Fermi2

Re: FP&L prereqs for SRO
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2007, 08:28 »
Great Site! I've been lurking for about a week and found some great advice.  Perfect mix of huggers and hardasses. Two questions about FP&L.
1. Do they stick to the E8/E9 requirement for direct SRO or will they waive it based on quals/degree? 
2. I've heard the pay isn't enough compared to the cost of living near Turkey Point and St. Lucie.  Any advice?
Thanks.
Jimi

Whats's the E8/E9 Requirement? There is no such animal.

Best guy to ask is M1Ark, he's an SRO at St Lucie. Try sending him a PM as some of the stuff he might say isn't something that he might not post in public.

Mike

Jimi

« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:08 »
Thanks Mike. 

FP&Ls Nuclear Plant Unit Supervisor job posting for Turkey Point states:
Position Requires: Military experience: Commissioned Navy Nuclear Officer - OR - Navy Nuclear Senior or Master Chief Petty Officer qualified EOOW, PPWS or EWS. Five (5) years recent leadership experience. Commercial experience: Minimum of three (3) years with an active Senior Reactor Operator license at a PWR plant. Outstanding leadership skills, including superior coaching, strong communication and excellent personnel performance management and development skills.

It doesn't make much sense to me which is why I asked.  I've got a decent amount of time left but I'm partial to living near the beach and making good cash.  Figured some early research may help me out later on.  I'll have 8 years RO, 5 years EWS and just under 2 as EOOW when I get out but I won't meet the TIR for E8 without re-enlisting and I don't want Florida that bad.

Jimi 

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2007, 09:45 »
Thanks.
Jimi

I worked at Turkey Point for 2.5 years. Until a month ago. I was a field operator but it is true they don't pay enough for the area.  We heard it straight from the VP that they will never pay what it costs to live there.  For the Unit Sup's they also will pay a $1000/month towards your mortgage and it is still tight. A average house is ~$350,000.
As far as E8/E9 thing I was an E6 in the navy (EWS) and I was offered an instant SRO as I was leaving.  I left because how the company treats it's employees and of the area. Turkey Point as one of the highest if not the highest attrition rates in the industry.
I ended up getting an instant SRO position at another plant in a lower cost of living area.

Good luck,
Doug

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:12 »
Try any of the plants in the Carolinas or try Surry. They're within easy driving distance of the beach, in nice areas, the cost of living is lower and they pay just as well.

Mike

M1Ark

« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2007, 10:30 »
Diablo Canyon is hands down the best nuke plant near a beach community I have seen.

Tough to beat.

M1Ark

Jimi

« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2007, 03:52 »
Thanks for the info/advice.  I'll look into those other plants.
Jimi

Mad Yogi

« Reply #19 on: Jul 28, 2007, 08:10 »
I am from Florida for 5 or 6 generations and worked FPL for the first time in '84...As all these gus say.....Be very careful about your decision......One site not mentioned by the above is Savannah River Site in South Carolina...the local Parsons engineering branch will be screaming for Navy Nukes next year..but now now...I know the guy hiring, but he wants Navy.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2007, 10:03 »
Ah... this thread is 4 years old. :)

Justin

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
FPL (Florida Power & Light)
« Reply #21 on: Sep 09, 2007, 12:46 »
Talk about this company.  Don't forget to vote.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007, 08:55 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
Re: FPL (Flordia Power & Light)
« Reply #22 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:35 »
Sum up FPL in one word......SUCKS! As (name removed by moderator) would say, I'd rather blow goats at a quarter a herd then ever work for those people again..nuff said.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 10:11 by Nuclear NASCAR »
Call Before You Dig!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: FPL (Florida Power & Light)
« Reply #23 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:56 »
Sum up FPL in one word......SUCKS! As (name removed by moderator) would say, I'd rather blow goats at a quarter a herd then ever work for those people again..nuff said.
How do you really feel?
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 10:12 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
Re: FPL (Florida Power & Light)
« Reply #24 on: Sep 10, 2007, 09:36 »
Here at Turkey Pt its all "Fun in the Sun" and the pay us too.  Long breaks, plenty of feasts, big break room, and cheap rent. Free drugs in the parking lot and the ladies of the night are cheap.  Every night here in Homestead their filming for the TV show "Cops" so we have a "shot" to be on TV.  It dont get no better than this.  I am spoiled.  By the way this might be hard to believe , but there are house tech jobs available.  Hey Radbastard you might want to check the office to see if you still have a slot at St Lucie the word out on the streets their cutting at least six slots the good news  is that there are six openings at one of the Exlelon plants.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?