FPL (Flordia Power & Light)

Above Average
3 (13%)
Average
7 (30.4%)
Below Average
13 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: NextEra Energy (FPL)  (Read 94204 times)

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Re: FPL (Florida Power & Light)
« Reply #25 on: Sep 11, 2007, 01:40 »
Sum up FPL in one word......SUCKS! As (name removed by moderator) would say, I'd rather blow goats at a quarter a herd then ever work for those people again..nuff said.
Gone downhill, huh? Used to be a decent company to work for.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 10:12 by Nuclear NASCAR »
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: FPL (Flordia Power & Light)
« Reply #26 on: Sep 11, 2007, 08:35 »
Sum up FPL in one word......SUCKS! As (name removed by moderator) would say, I'd rather blow goats at a quarter a herd then ever work for those people again..nuff said.

Sounds like a disgruntled employee to me. I am working here as a 'Temp' FPL Employee (contractor with a parking pass) and it is no worse than other utilities. Not a glowing recommendation, I agree, but they treat me pretty well, they pay on time (as long as the paperwork is right and gets to the right people) and most of the folks are friendly. The area is a bit expensive and there are some less-than-desirable neighborhoods nearby, but I could say that about a lot of places. In the balance, I am happy to be here and have a pretty good gig going.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 10:13 by Nuclear NASCAR »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

stownsend

« Reply #27 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:18 »
If you're going to quote me please don't take it from one area and put it into another utility's area. I don't think I ever said that about FP&L. I did say it about another utility.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #28 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:25 »
If you're going to quote me please don't take it from one area and put it into another utility's area. I don't think I ever said that about FP&L. I did say it about another utility.
You seem to be confused, we quoted fueldryer.

stownsend

« Reply #29 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:30 »
I'm stating fuel dryer used my name to bad mouth FP&L and I never did that. I did use that quote for another Utility and it should not be used with my name out of context!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #30 on: Sep 11, 2007, 09:35 »
I'm stating fuel dryer used my name to bad mouth FP&L and I never did that. I did use that quote for another Utility and it should not be used with my name out of context!
Ahh, I see it now.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #31 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:05 »

I agree... moderators would this not violate the forum rule against posting someone's name?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #32 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:14 »
I agree... moderators would this not violate the forum rule against posting someone's name?

Well said as always, and you're right.  Hopefully we've got that fixed now. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #33 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:21 »
So now that the name has been deleted, does anyone have anything else to say about FP&L?

They (the regulated FP&L utility, not their operations outside FL) pay "better than average for the region" according to their own management. Of course, this means that they are claiming to pay better than Russellville, AR / Dothan, AL / Rural GA / Rural SC / etc.

But the cost of living in Miami-Dade County or Port St. Lucie / Martin County is higher than even Atlanta or NC's triangle. They will have to pay some serious $$$ to get people to go there, and even more $$$ to keep them.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Sep 11, 2007, 10:59 »
...They will have to pay some serious $$$ to get people to go there, and even more $$$ to keep them.

They have even instituted a 10% 'retention' payment to each paycheck for (permanent) Turkey Point FPL employees to keep them here. There is also a bonus for qualified RPs. I don't fall into either category here.  :(
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline XGDubNuke

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #35 on: Sep 13, 2007, 01:33 »
I know that there are a lot of factors that would work into this, but would you say that FP&L would be a good choice over say a plant in an area with a similar cost of living and pay?
Basically I'm asking if this is a good place to work for, while trying to avoid all the comments about my question being too vague.

Thanks.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Sep 13, 2007, 07:31 »
I know that there are a lot of factors that would work into this, but would you say that FP&L would be a good choice over say a plant in an area with a similar cost of living and pay?
Basically I'm asking if this is a good place to work for, while trying to avoid all the comments about my question being too vague.

Thanks.

OK, without saying your question is to vague, I will say there is insufficient data to process your request. Is that better?

There are WAY too many factors to calculate into the equation (and it is an equation.) I have no idea what you are looking for in an area. Do you speak Spanish? It would help around here if you did. I am not passing judgement on whether or not that is good or bad. I do speak some Spanish and my girlfriend primarily speaks Spanish... we are both improving. Do you have kids? Do you like warm (or very hot) weather? How about hurricaines? Evacuation is a possibility, even a probability at some time or another if you live here. Playing golf in the winter is pretty nice. Playing golf in August, not as nice.

That is the tip of the iceberg (which is not an issue here.) Come down and spend a week or two and gather information. BTW, I recommend that anywhere you go. Personnaly, I like it here -- but I am not selling my house in Maryland any time soon.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #37 on: Sep 13, 2007, 04:02 »
I worked at TP for 3 years.  I liked the people I directly worked with but the area is not so good and it is expensive to live there.  Also for me I have a 13 yo daughter and the schools were terrible.  FPL is a fair company to work for.  Anywhere you go there will be issues. It was my experience that you made more money there but the company was not as employee friendly as others. 

Would I work for them again? Yes I would but only at St Lucie. I have family within 45 minutes of that plant. Plus I am a native Floridian and generally like Florida. As long as it is north of I-595 or south of Florida City.

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #38 on: Sep 13, 2007, 07:09 »
The cordintator and the supervision on the Bartlett side have been great.  Actually in my humble opinion is that the whole Bartlett group has been great (IM on Days) HP's and Deconners.  It was a little rough at the beginning  (really hot temperature everywhere in the plant), but everyone seems to be doing fine. 

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #39 on: Sep 13, 2007, 07:33 »
Please note that this thread is about the company FP&L, and them as an employer.  We have other threads for specific sites.  If you are working for Bartlett, there is a thread for that.  This is not the place to talk about your experiences working at a specific site owned by FL&P, or for working through a contractor.

This thread is for asking how FPL is as an employer.

Offline gammaman30

• Light User
« Reply #40 on: Sep 13, 2007, 07:43 »
The Training here is the best I have had any place!
top of the line instructors I don't see how they keep such Quality insrtuctor? for the HP'S at least.
They give you all the tools you need to succeed and great working conditions. if you can come here do it you will not regret it. and the women are cheap on the streets. you dont even have to get out of your car they come right up too you. cheap living too if you stay in a tent.
thats a plus. Im so spoiled.

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #41 on: Sep 13, 2007, 08:38 »
Oh im sorry I was referring to the Bartlett people at Turkey PT.  I will take the fifth on the FPL. Its almost like an exelon plant without the cold weather.

M1Ark

« Reply #42 on: Dec 14, 2008, 03:00 »
Oh im sorry I was referring to the Bartlett people at Turkey PT.  I will take the fifth on the FPL. Its almost like an exelon plant without the cold weather.

Exactly!   They go out of their way to emulate the Exelon model.

alphadude

« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2008, 06:06 »
that anal huh?

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #44 on: Dec 15, 2008, 10:53 »
They have taken the next step to surpass Exelon, they mistreat everyone, union and non-union.

alphadude

« Reply #45 on: Dec 15, 2008, 02:31 »
wow deeply anal... my fav story about them is they hired a group to help them earn the Demmings Award in quality, when they won the award they fired the staff that helped them get the award.  A few years back when you went to corporate, they had guys in butler suits serving coffee and tea to the CEOs, and the lady receptionist had an IQ of 65 and a face and body to droll over for weeks... (miss world types.)

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #46 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:14 »
07-Jan-2009
FPL Energy today announced its new name, NextEra Energy Resources, which better reflects its clean energy mission and market focus. The company is one of the largest competitive energy suppliers in the United States with a portfolio of more than 16,900 megawatts, which includes power generation facilities in 25 states and Canada.

“Our new name – NextEra Energy Resources – reflects our focus on clean energy solutions and provides us with a strong brand platform to grow our business now and into the future,” said NextEra Energy Resources President and CEO Mitch Davidson.

NextEra Energy Resources remains an FPL Group company. During the course of 2009, the NextEra Energy Resources name will be rolled out to various operating company subsidiaries of NextEra Energy Resources. Along with the name change, the company has adopted a new logo, visual identity and Web site.

shootinghx

« Reply #47 on: Jun 23, 2011, 10:28 »
Look in InFPL.com   check out the job postings. FPL is doing some major restaffing. And, yes...Turkey Point is NOT the place to be. The job is great...but, it's like living in a third world country.  It's a shame...I grew up there.
Also, look into NextEra. This is FPL's parent company...you can work all over the US.

Offline Nichole

• Light User
NextEra Energy (FPL)
« Reply #48 on: Oct 09, 2012, 12:00 »
Ok, I read all of the negative comments about FPL and Turkey Point, but they're all several years old. I am considering a job at NextEra Energy's Corporate office in Juno Beach and was wondering if anyone had any up-to-date information. Like if someone has worked at the corporate office, what is it like? Do all of the negative comments about Turkey Point hold true for the corporate office? The information on their website makes it sound really nice. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2012, 01:15 by Nichole »

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
Re: NextEra Energy (FPL)
« Reply #49 on: Oct 09, 2012, 04:44 »
Take it. 

It's Cube-World land, but its a job.  Juno Beach is more Country Club than a work place.  You probably will not learn much, if anything, career wise but the beach is nice and the "work" environment is casual.  The game in cube-world is how to play the little office games which doesn't include being technically good.  At least you are playing them in a nice area vs say Kennett Square, PA or some other arm pit.

Comparing JB to PTN is liking comparing Midtown Manhattan with a central park view to the Bronx.

PTN might not be long for this world anyways as the top lifer FPL manager nukes have turned the EPU project to a money pit down power project.  Billions overspent, years over schedule, 70% DOWN power. 
Another plant destroyed by incompetent people.  Crystal River, SONGS, PTN.  the list goes on.

PTN I would only wish on my worst enemies for a direct position.  Not a bad place for a contractor since incompetence = contractor $$$$. Contractors are scoring $400K plus/yr..My engineering pals down there are taking home more than most of the Miami Dolphins.  $1.5 million for the EPU project and counting.   They contacted a start up friend of mine and offered $200/hr.  I guess the price for miracles is....$200/hr. 

See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?