Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu All in the Nuclear Family  

Poll

How many of you are 2nd or 3rd generation techs? Who in family works in business?

2nd Generation
9 (29%)
3rd Generation
3 (9.7%)
Self and Spouse
8 (25.8%)
Self and Child
1 (3.2%)
Self and Sibling
4 (12.9%)
Self and Other Family Member
6 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: All in the Nuclear Family  (Read 20803 times)

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
All in the Nuclear Family
« on: Aug 30, 2004, 11:50 »
Our family has begun its 3rd generation in the nuclear business, as our son has started his first outage. He makes the 6th person in our family to do so, although my mother and I did not make a career out of it as the men in our family did.

I would like to know how many of you are 2nd generation, or 3rd generation workers and if your spouses, children or siblings have worked in the field.

allforthenukie

Re: All in the Nuclear Family
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2004, 07:38 »
I am 2nd generation nukeworker of my family. My Mom is 1st. Little sister worked 2 or 3 summers as a student but now has no interest in being a nukeworker. ::)

ramdog_1

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2004, 07:42 »
my dad my mom  his to brothers, me and my ex wife. many years with westinghouse.

Offline CarolinaGirl

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2004, 09:58 »
Husband, father, mother-in law, sister, brother-in-law, and myself.  My mother and little sis just dont understand.

Offline Tina

• Moderate User
  • Face wht your afraid of, Find out wht your made of
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2004, 11:25 »
 :) I guess you would have to say I'm an Orphan and an Only ChildĀ  8)

But I wouldn't miss it for the world....

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2004, 03:14 »
its me and mommy right now....the twins just not cut for it and the other sis isnt old enough yet.  were brainwashing her young though so she should be ready to hop right in once shes legal lol.

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2004, 03:15 »
oooo cant forget the extended family cousin married a nukie too but shes decided to just bebop around with him and breed.

KevsHarley

« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2004, 03:23 »
Just me, myself and I

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2004, 06:07 »
oooo cant forget the extended family cousin married a nukie too but shes decided to just bebop around with him and breed.

We all serve a purpose, if I hadn't of bebopped around with my hubby and bred, we wouldn't have raised the 3rd generation of nuclear worker.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2004, 06:29 »
It doesn't make you a bad person, unless your bebopping around with someone elses bred'er!

RADBASTARD

« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2004, 06:30 »
Me and the wife. I met her while I was working at a job oversea's and the rest is history.

Iowa_HP

« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2004, 07:02 »

I was the one and only in my family and things ddon't look like they will change.....

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 2004, 09:58 »
It doesn't make you a bad person, unless your bebopping around with someone elses bred'er!

You hit the nail on the head, and believe me after being exposed to this business since 1975 I have seen my share of that.

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2004, 10:05 »
Just me, the ratwife is nested at home, trying to kick the fledglings out. (Kids never seem to want to leave, whats up with that?)
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Sep 03, 2004, 10:29 »
I don't know. Tell her to do what I did a couple of years ago. "Now I love you, and if you need me I'll come home, but daddy and I have made a lot of choices that put you guys first, now its our turn. You can stay here at the house rent free, just keep it clean and no funny stuff going on - note neighbors will be watching house. Bye, I'm going on the road."

Now, I have had to come home a couple of times. Once for a sick child, and then for CharmedFaire's car wreck here last month (scared us to death), and I will be coming home in  November to await the birth of our first grandchild, but I look forward to traveling that highway with my hubby. It's been a long 16 years at home.

Offline makua13

• Light User
  • Live Aloha
« Reply #15 on: Sep 05, 2004, 06:12 »
My brother, sister and father (retired) wife and self, can not seem to get the kids interested.  I got my father started (he is second generation) when he was 62 yrs old.  He enjoyed the work for 10 yrs before retiring.
Live Aloha

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2004, 08:26 »
I don't know. Tell her to do what I did a couple of years ago. "Now I love you, and if you need me I'll come home, but daddy and I have made a lot of choices that put you guys first, now its our turn. You can stay here at the house rent free, just keep it clean and no funny stuff going on - note neighbors will be watching house. Bye, I'm going on the road."

Now, I have had to come home a couple of times. Once for a sick child, and then for CharmedFaire's car wreck here last month (scared us to death), and I will be coming home in  November to await the birth of our first grandchild, but I look forward to traveling that highway with my hubby. It's been a long 16 years at home.

This post was said in jest, while I might complain about the continuing saga of caring for my young adult children, I would not trade being a mother for anything including being rich, famous or beautiful. Nothing can compare. I do however enjoy life back on the road a lot.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2004, 02:27 by Camella Black »

inyourface

« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2006, 06:37 »
so far there's me, my brother, his wife, my uncle, my dad, and my baby's father.....all rp techs.

Offline Showme T. Money

• Light User
  • Senior HP Tech
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2006, 07:24 »
For me it's Myself (RP), My Pregnant Wife (RP in a Half), My Mom (RP), Step Dad (RP), and Grandfather (Nuclear Carpenter); a true nuclear family.

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2006, 01:24 »
Just Me!!!!!! :o
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

vikingfan

« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2006, 04:27 »
Just me !! unless you count the wife and kids who have a vacation everytime i leave...lol

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 19, 2006, 04:54 »
Just me, although I have a brother and an ex-wife that are ex-nukes.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #22 on: Nov 19, 2006, 09:27 »
eye yam das ownlee won.  maw sun werked ona site won thyme, howevver, eye didn't incurrage hymn after dat prawgick wuz dun. 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2006, 02:42 »
Just me. Father-in-law was nuke QC but died a couple years back. He was building Clinton over 2 decades ago when I met his daughter in Mahomet, IL. We married shortly before I went to DC Cook and we've been together ever since. Two sons, 20 and 21 but they never took an interest in the biz. I guess they have a certain resentment toward the road after changing residence some 15 times over their up-bringing. The LAST move in 2002 was the worst. They were both in highschool and I took a house gig here at PI. We were living outside Cincinnati. Had been for over 4 years. Life seemed normal. Then Fernald started looking like it would end before I retired, so I took this secure gig I'm in now, which meant everyone had to move AGAIN.

The up-side? My kids have been places and seen/done things that none of their friends have dreamed of. They've always had the best of everything. They are well rounded, well adjusted adults now with more on the proverbial ball than most. Our family has grown incredibly tight through all the road has put us through. Not a day goes by that I don't thank the big guy upstairs for all I've got. Oh yah ... and all of the nice people who've written me those big honkin' checks over the years which made our lives a hell of a lot better than they would have been if I'd decided to be a full time writer. Having this as a day job makes a lot of other things possible.

I have two buddies from highschool who became Lawyers. Ya know ... neither one has caught up to me on the money train yet. Unless one of them makes partner, they never will. And as for the writer thing: Although I only write in my spare time, have been for forever, I have my first big time novel coming out in the Spring. I have a real live publisher and everything. Not a vanity press either. The book will be in Borders, B Dalton and on Amazon when it hits the shelves.

Go figure. I ended up being a writer in the end.

Most people say things like "I wouldn't trade a minute of it for the world"  and  "If I had it all to do again, I wouldn't change a thing" ......

Horse Puckey.
There are things ... albeit little things ... here and there we would all change if we could. But the crux of it seems to be: We are where we are because that's where we are supposed to be. No matter how one tries to get around it, the Nuke Biz has played a big part in all of our lives. Had it not been for her father working at Clinton, I would never have met my wife. Had that not happened, my two sons would never have come into existance. Had I never worked at Vogtle, I would have played hell finding a place to stage one crucial scene in my new book.

So ..... Short story long ... I'm still the only one in the family that actually works Nuke ... But the rest of my family ... and most of yours too ... lives a nuclear-based life.

Hide and seek for a grand a week baby! .... Well ... it's more like two grand these days 8) after taxes ..... Man Imiss perdiem!   ;) 

Offline tigger

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2006, 10:44 »
lots in my family... Dad, mom, cousin and her hubby, aunt, another aunt, an uncle and me. And my brother may get into it shortly when he gets out of the navy.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?