Atlantic Group

Above Average
32 (34.4%)
Average
29 (31.2%)
Below Average
32 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: DZ Atlantic Group  (Read 233175 times)

Atlantic

DZ Atlantic Group
« on: Sep 16, 2004, 10:31 »
This is the Talk about Atlantic Group thread.  Don't forget to vote, keep your comments civil, and perhaps read the forum rules.

Summary:
No pay for holidays, no direct deposit, per Diem and salary on one check.
Atlantic has a lot of Numanco People working in their new Rad division, and has a lot of their old contracts.
Day-Zimmerman bought Atlantic Group
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007, 11:41 by Rennhack »

Japetto

Atlantic Group
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2005, 03:01 »
Hey, I just heard the Atlantic Group won the NMC Contract from Bartlett.  I also understand it was one of their strong holds, and they didn't underbid to win it and that the pay was actually going up at all the sites. Anyone else heard this? If that's the case I for one think competition can be a good thing for us techs. 8)
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2005, 06:26 by Rennhack »

ramdog_1

was it not the old numanco sites in the old days?
and how many numanco personal went over to atlantic. its all good . no matter what.

sofar

Re: Atlantic Group
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2005, 01:21 »
Don't know about the other NMC sites but I do know the pay went up at Point Beach.  Yes we were a Numanco site before Bartlett, and from what i've seen of the resumes comming in for our fall outage there are a number of Numanco Techs in the Atlantic Group lists.  It will be nice to see some old friends again. 

Offline justme

• Moderate User
Atlantic group
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:40 »
As Atlantic group has now picked up the NMC plants, and Entergy plants, was wondering how the company was to work for as an RP tech?  Are things similar to working for Bartlett and old Numanco?  Pay, treatment, process for getting jobs, etc.   May be working for them this fall so wanted an idea how things are with the "new guy", for RP, on the block.  Thanks for any info.
It is what it is!

shovelheadred

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2006, 03:11 »
..I am currently working at River Bend for Atlantic,,,,Kristie Inman and Roxana(from Bartlett)..are the recruters..top shelf..............John Ellison from Numanco, may just be the reason the Entergy contract was won..........Larry Booker( from Virginia) is in the office.......we are working an emergency shutdown and have had no payroll, processing or office problems.........I am also going to IP with them .....the per diem is over 100/day at each site.take it for what its worth...we are satisfied in Louisiana..........

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
  • -40F Keeps out the RiffRaff
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2006, 04:35 »
Hey, That's good to hear.  Since we're sitting here at an NMC plant that chose Atlantic.  We were fearful that it was another NMC (no money company) mistake picking the low ball solution.  Sounds like they recruited some good people and old school recruiters!  I worked for John a few years back at ANO.  Good news that there actually is some competition out there against Bartlett.

remowil55

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:19 »
The Atlantic Group is a top notch company.They got the BEST recruiter in the business. You be straight with her she will with you. Remo

LaFeet

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2006, 05:02 »
And just who might this recuiter be???? hmmmmmm???

If it is the fiesty one in Tulsa, I would have to agree.

Besides, I still owe her lunch  :P

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2006, 10:55 »
Anyone have any info on Atlantic's health insurance? What kind of coverage they offer employees and how much out of pocket it cost? Any info would be great

LaFeet

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2006, 08:13 »
Best bet would be to call them.... they seem really eager to help out.  Especially those from the Tulsa office.

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2006, 06:09 »
Best bet would be to call them.... they seem really eager to help out.  Especially those from the Tulsa office.
Got a phone # I can contact them at?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2006, 08:33 »
Check our job board company directory.  Their number is listed, as well as all of the other companies in the buisness.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007, 11:31 by Rennhack »

RAD-GHOST

ATLANTIC is the rumor true?
« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2006, 03:01 »
I caught this one Thursday, Atlantic has once again edge out, "the other guy", on three more contracts. 

Now I see postings for Techs at Palo?

Inquiring minds want to know?

RG

Atomic_Punk

Re: ATLANTIC is the rumor true?
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2006, 04:53 »
The Palo deal is probably a back-up contract. 

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2006, 11:42 »
Better than Big Blue, just get more contracts.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

illegalsmile

« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2006, 11:58 »
has anybody worked for them long enough to know?

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
  • Never Happy Until Happy With Yourself!
« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2006, 12:06 »
Anyone who would dare to go up against the "Dark Side" of Nuclear Power is definately worth my time. 8)
I NEVER KNEW LOVE, I JUST KNOW THE SOUND IT MAKES WHEN IT LIES!

illegalsmile

« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 2006, 11:59 »
It's certainly worth our time to find out how they're gonna work out, but I'm starting to believe that all the companies end up the same. We're the whores and they are the pimps. They're never going to treat us any differently than we've been treated in the past and we might as well accept it and try not to take it personally. The competition between two companies will have positive (you'll be able to get more than one job offer at a time to pick from) and negatives (the companies will have to try to kiss the plants' asses more to get the contracts, and they're going to want to use our lips to do it).
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2006, 12:02 by illegalsmile »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2006, 01:59 »
It's certainly worth our time to find out how they're gonna work out, but I'm starting to believe that all the companies end up the same. We're the whores and they are the pimps. They're never going to treat us any differently than we've been treated in the past and we might as well accept it and try not to take it personally. The competition between two companies will have positive (you'll be able to get more than one job offer at a time to pick from) and negatives (the companies will have to try to kiss the plants' asses more to get the contracts, and they're going to want to use our lips to do it).
Crude, but accurate.

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2006, 04:36 »

I love Rent-A-Techs!  8)

Offline DFR

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2006, 01:53 »

What would you do differently? Companies bid against each other and then provided you with an option to accept payment terms or not. If you accept the terms, how is it that you have a right to complain? Why don't you give us an idea of what you would like to see done differently. I always hear a lot of about what techs want, but what is it that you give? Why don't you offer up something constructive? The more companies the better. The more options you will have.
David Romaine
President/CEO
Radiological Assessment Services, Inc

Offline DFR

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2006, 02:01 »
Atlantic is also teamed with RASI for DOE, DOD, EPA, USACE, and other federal projects. They are pursing every available opportunity to bring techs more and better options and work opportunities.
David Romaine
President/CEO
Radiological Assessment Services, Inc

illegalsmile

« Reply #23 on: Apr 25, 2006, 05:42 »
It looks like I hit a nerve, sorry Dave, just painting the picture. I didn't make it that way, I just live with it, like all the other road trash out here. Making an observation isn't a complaint. It's just a fact of life, the bean counters run the show and even the HP/RP supervision at the plants have little or nothing to say about how much we're paid or how we get treated. What would I do? Fire all the accountants and the people who listen to them then pay the road whores the same rate as you pay the house mouses. Add government rate per diem for those elligible for it. How's that for a pipe dream?

illegalsmile

« Reply #24 on: Apr 25, 2006, 05:59 »
Good points, Dan. Any ops Atlantic, or any other company pursues are to increase their business and their profits. They will probably pay us as much as they can afford to and still make a worthy profit off our services, but our income and welfare are not the reasons they are in business. It's dog eat dog, rat eat rat.

wls112@msn.com

Atlantic group info. please
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 03:37 »
Please post the Atlantic Group contact info. for me.  Thank You!

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Atlantic group info. please
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 04:42 »
This info is in the Talk About Atlantic Group thread in the Facility & Company information forum. 

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,3113.0.html
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 10:35 by Nuclear NASCAR »
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2006, 08:51 »
I hear they have the Cooper contract for the upcoming Fall Outage. Don't know how they'll staff it with a planned 25 day outage while there is other work at the same time of longer duration.

Has anyone heard how well the Alantic Group been able to staff all these contracts they've picked up?
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

shovelheadred

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2006, 09:25 »
....This season starting in February at River Bend and completing the cycle at IP-2, I have had no problems with Atlantic..always professional, and its either yes or no with them, no middle of the road.....Insurance is reasonable, per-diem is above average, money is average...they give a half dollar increase for every Entergy job worked, up to 4 jobs,,,,Fred Erskine has been to site numerous times..so thats the facts as I see them............red

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2006, 11:20 »
I'll just say.....I prefer Bartlett and leave it at that.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #30 on: Oct 24, 2006, 10:29 »
Bought by Day & Zimmermann. Should be interesting combination.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

scruffy

« Reply #31 on: Oct 25, 2006, 02:36 »

but what is it that you give?

We GIVE you a good rep. if you treat us right. Dont the employees of a company have the right to offer suggestions?

remowil55

« Reply #32 on: Oct 25, 2006, 07:40 »
DFR:You have a right to compain if you were mislead or somone didn't take the time to look at your resume and see that you had more time in this business that a week,And you drive half way across the crountry only to find out the hard way that your getting screwed. Being mislead is just plain wrong, period!!!! And illegalsmile you nailed it pretty darn close. Remo

scruffy

« Reply #33 on: Nov 30, 2006, 01:35 »
I was curious I am at an atlantic outage and they did not pay any holiday pay for the techs but did pay time and a half for those fortunate to work the holiday. Is this normal for Atlantic and if so why does anybody work for them this is the first time in 24 years of working commercial nuke to not get a holiday.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2006, 03:30 »
I was curious I am at an atlantic outage and they did not pay any holiday pay for the techs but did pay time and a half for those fortunate to work the holiday. Is this normal for Atlantic and if so why does anybody work for them this is the first time in 24 years of working commercial nuke to not get a holiday.
Yes, that is normal for their HP powerplant contracts.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:46 »
I was curious I am at an atlantic outage and they did not pay any holiday pay for the techs but did pay time and a half for those fortunate to work the holiday.

I worked a contract for another company without even getting 1.5 time for the holidays worked. I would prefer to get paid...
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2006, 07:47 »
Holiday pay is also a contract thing.  Some plants will pay the holiday if you don't work, depends on the utility.  Most don't.  Standard in the business.
It is what it is!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
Day & Zimmermann
« Reply #37 on: Jan 05, 2007, 01:15 »
Don't forget to vote. Keep your comments civil.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #38 on: Mar 14, 2007, 06:00 »
How many assignments does Atlantic have in Fall 2007?

shovelheadred

« Reply #39 on: Mar 14, 2007, 11:39 »
...who cares man,,spring doesnt start for a week!!!!!!!!!!red

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #40 on: Mar 15, 2007, 02:06 »
Seems that I do!!!!!!!!!RG

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
« Reply #41 on: Mar 15, 2007, 06:11 »
How many assignments does Atlantic have in Fall 2007?

Hey RG,  you talk'n HP/Decon assignments or Maintenance assignments or both.  Cant help ya on the maintenance side.  As far as HP/Decon goes, and i'm probably off by a few, I'm only seeing 2 - Palisades and & River Bend - as i said i'm probably off by a bunch buts thats what i've seen thus far in the pre-planning stages for the fall season.  Oh and I almost forgot, about a third of Hope Creek.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

EB
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #42 on: Mar 16, 2007, 04:53 »
Thanks EB!

I assumed I missed something, somewhere, somehow.........apparently not!

The answering machine should have an easy time staffing that schedule!

TY, RG!

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #43 on: Mar 16, 2007, 08:04 »
Correct me if I am wrong, there are only about 19 outages this fall.  Atlantic only has a few, but may have some backups????  Time will tell.
It is what it is!

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
« Reply #44 on: Mar 16, 2007, 10:26 »
Correct me if I am wrong, there are only about 19 outages this fall.  Atlantic only has a few, but may have some backups????  Time will tell.

I list 24 outages, average Fall season goes with about 24 to 30 (give or take), Fall '06 35 outages, Fall '05 only 24 like this upcoming Fall, '04 & '03 gave us 30 outages each.   As far as back-ups go I'm sure they have back-ups in place or are looking to get them in place, just like we have them or will look to have them in place for the 2 outages they'll be staffing.  Oops make that 2.3 that they will be staffing.  Whether or not they will be given the greenlight is another story.  As you say, time will tell.
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #45 on: Mar 16, 2007, 10:20 »
...who cares man,,spring doesnt start for a week!!!!!!!!!!red
C'mon red be positive. Spring DOES start in a week.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #46 on: Mar 17, 2007, 11:47 »
WAY off topic.

LaFeet

« Reply #47 on: Mar 18, 2007, 09:52 »
Sorry about that Renn..... Ill try to be a good boy.

About Atlantic..... better per diem, same pay, and usually the same site reps that Bartlett had. 

I hate to say it this way, Atlantic or Bartlett -  I chose the plants I like to work.  Not the company with the contract.   I still have my military retirement and unemployment to keep food on the table.

I do think Bartlett is stepping up,  they really came through for us at Ft Calhoun.  It was great getting the bonus before leaving site.   Thanks Guys (and Gals)

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #48 on: Mar 24, 2007, 04:58 »
Yes, I assume their exists the potential of a couple of backup contracts in the future, but filling those contracts may prove to be quite a challenge for the current management team!  Obviously, I see the necessity of supporting this company and inspiring its successful existence, but then again, I find it difficult to support a management team with an apparent business plan for disaster!   

I’ve seen this scenario play out before, different company name, but the same LACK of CUSTOMER SERVICE game!  Obviously the management team has failed to recognize Technicians as Customers.  If your trying to sell an individual something, (such as an assignment), believe it or not, they are a customer!  It seems apparent that some company representatives have placed themselves on a plateau, far above their bread and butter.  That worked great in the 80’s when techs were a dime a dozen and outages lasted 6 months, but maintaining that egotistical philosophy today, is a proven road to disaster!  I'm sure some contract company managers will find it impossible to believe, but if a Technician isn't working for you, THEY are providing their services via the other guy!  In some cases, at the same facility where you hold the prime contract. 

How about the paying customers, (Utilities)?  There also seems to be a little confusion on the aspects of customer service with contractual agreements.  Excuse me for being so antiquated, but there isn’t a contract company in the world, going to tell me how to do business in my own house!  If you want to force feed a contract stipulation down a customer’s throat, contrary to the customer’s request, be prepared for an appropriate response!  I had the misfortune of experiencing that venue at one site a few years ago, two months later that company no longer provided their services, actually that company ceased to exist!

Strangely enough, I have never understood the self appointed amnesty clause of some dysfunctional managers?  I'm sure many of the Techs know the situation.  The ditz calls you up, gives you a big buddy greeting and asks for your assistance to resolve some of their staffing needs!  After you remind them of their previous distasteful business decisions and the issues pertaining to their integrity and honesty, they always offer the same reply, “Oh, That’s water under the Bridge"!  Well, Right you are!  It's an ocean, ten miles deep!  I know many techs who maintain the same communications venue as me; I'll talk to any other company representative, except her/him!  As immature as it may seem, don't call me, I'll call you and that's Forever + a day! 

Hopefully things will improve in the immediate future and performance issue will be rectified.  Of course I'm always on guard for the precursors of disaster.  Most Technicians know what I'm talking about, lose of contracts, bait and switch assignments, last minute notification of dissolved assignments, shell game tactics of staffing other projects and assigning blame to technicians for leaving assignments early (against the customers request) and payroll problems that take more than a day before you have cash in hand!

Foresight or Hindsight, Your Choice, RG...................... ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2007, 08:35 by RAD-GHOST »

LaFeet

« Reply #49 on: Mar 24, 2007, 05:52 »
OUCH.... I guess I really am still new to the "commercial" aspect of this business.  Sorry you had so many slight of hand RG.... hope the future pans out well for you.  As for me, I still have not had a bad deal.  I guess the worst thing is a cap on travel.  But thats something I can overcome with overtime. 

Atlantic has been better than Bartlett lately.  I dont hold grudges, but I also do not forget.

Bartlett got me into my first outage and kept me on.  I will still work for them if I can get the plants I want to work at.

Atlantic has managed to pick up the "Entergy Banner" (contract) and I enjoy working at those plants.  I try not to be a pain in the site co-ordinators buttocks and do a good job.  That holds true for whoever has the contract.

RG.... iffen we happen apon the same plant, I'll buy you a beer or three. ;D

shovelheadred

« Reply #50 on: Mar 25, 2007, 10:01 »
...You might need  to get a point of view from some of the Atlantic techs at Monticello, before you go to patting Atlantic's back.....

LaFeet

« Reply #51 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:34 »
...You might need  to get a point of view from some of the Atlantic techs at Monticello, before you go to patting Atlantic's back.....

I don't think so.  I am only expressing how well the company has treated me to date.   Individually I have had no problems, and at the sites I have worked for Atlantic there have been none either.  Can't talk about what someone else is experiencing without being there.  But thanks for the tip... I'll look into the Monticello conspiracy.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #52 on: Mar 27, 2007, 04:52 »
Thanks Lafeet,

Glad to hear they're treating you right and I hope it continues.  I guess you can assign an OUCH to my posting, due to its directness, but the management team isn't reading anything their ears haven't already heard!  It seems apparent that the company believes it can exist and sustain itself with a small group of loyal assets, an excellent venue for a mom and pop operation, but not a formatable business plan for a serious staffing contender.  This may come as a surprise to some managers and recruiters, but the Technicians NOT working for you, are your prime recruiting interest.  Placement of an employee already committed to your company is assigning, not recruiting!     

One thing I left out from my prior posting, the inability to make decisions!  Calls to the house, chats in the parking lot and idle conversations in the hallway are meaningless, unless you have the authority to validate your conversations!  If you have to call Tweetle Dee and get back to me, you’re wasting my time!

Lafeet, I also like working the Entergy system.  I also like working with the many Technicians who routinely staff their sites, lots of good quality people!

My Humble Opinion, RG

Offline Paladin

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #53 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:16 »
Rad-ghost, your March 24 comments were right on target. Perfect! I'll vote for you. I especially liked the part about bait-and-switch tactics, shell games, disloved commitments, and blaming all on us when it goes south. We all know who those people are and who they work for. There's no need to name names. Not here anyway. There are lots of good recruiters out there and I'd rather spend my ink on praising them.

But, man you were right on!

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #54 on: Mar 29, 2007, 10:02 »
Thanks for the feed back Paladin and sorry for your distastefull experience's with the management team. 

Hopefully the parent company will enter the picture and refocus the Ego's!

Luck at You, RG

Offline Paladin

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #55 on: Mar 29, 2007, 07:02 »
My pleasure. Actually, my critique was of another company. Atlantic recruiters have the patience of JOB when it comes to me.  The "A" team is great. The "B" team has the ....
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2007, 07:30 by Marlin »

nugent_oh

« Reply #56 on: Mar 30, 2007, 01:36 »
I have only worked for them once but the way that John Edwards and the rest of the company treated me was fantastic! They went above and beyond normal to help me out. The other people would not have done near as much. Iwill work for Atlantic any time, any where. ;D

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #57 on: Mar 30, 2007, 07:24 »
Hey Red, what are you trying to say?

shovelheadred

« Reply #58 on: Mar 30, 2007, 12:02 »
..Spankee....I said alot more, but it got deleted.....the brass out of their office was at Monticello this week,,,,,he made some promises..shook some hands...kissed some#$%^,,babies,,,,,,and now they are happy, until next outage,,,,,

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #59 on: Mar 30, 2007, 03:48 »
I can image. When ya coming home?

Have you noticed the PM feature of the site which allows you to hold personal off-topic conversations? 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #60 on: Mar 31, 2007, 04:46 »
Now I am Impressed..... :o!

I am ecstatic to see the positive feedback for this company. 

Interesting how this thread was dead for so many months, with the many satisfied customers.

RG

Offline mach

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2007, 01:47 »
Now I am Impressed..... :o!

I am ecstatic to see the positive feedback for this company. 

Interesting how this thread was dead for so many months, with the many satisfied customers.

RG

HUH? I'm fighting like a beagled Tiger just to get my pay. Yes I did finish the contract. I finally got my last check from them (Only 2.5 weeks late). The fight continues for my per diem. I guess I have to make another call Tuesday. They give me the run around so much. This is the first time I did work for this company. Is this normal? My pay out, and in was ok. They also pay pretty low.

LaFeet

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2007, 06:51 »
Mach,

I am sorry for your troubles..... I have worked for Atlantic and have had no problems (yet).   I do not understand what is going on with you.... were you at some location where the site coordiantor was all but useless??

Offline mach

• Very Lite User
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2007, 12:22 »
Mach,

I am sorry for your troubles..... I have worked for Atlantic and have had no problems (yet).   I do not understand what is going on with you.... were you at some location where the site coordiantor was all but useless??

Typical work environment, I think what happened is a big confusion, and the I&C guys are getting the short end of the stick. This organization is extremely unorganized. I won't work for them again unless they start paying going rates. To much other work going on to deal with this BS.

sealboy

« Reply #64 on: Jun 03, 2007, 10:14 »
How can you tell people to update their resume, when you and (name removed by moderator)  ;D never have jobs or return phone calls unless you want that person to go somewhere they don't want to go. And then when that person gets there they don't have a job!!!! Thats pretty F### up.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2007, 02:50 by Camella Black »

LaFeet

« Reply #65 on: Jun 03, 2007, 01:46 »
How can you tell people to update their resume, when you and (name removed by moderator);D never have jobs or return phone calls unless you want that person to go somewhere they don't want to go. And then when that person gets there they don't have a job!!!! Thats pretty F### up.

Is this in reference to someone's post or something that happened to you?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2007, 02:51 by Camella Black »

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #66 on: Jun 20, 2007, 05:04 »
Now that John has left the ranks of TAG, anybody know who's filling in?

RG

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #67 on: Aug 29, 2007, 04:51 »
Yesterday was a busy day for most of the Atlantic techs at some plant "up north". Seems a "Rival" company called several of them, "interested" in finding our their availability for work in other parts of the country.

General Consensus in the break room today was they can be had, the "rival" just has to meet their needs.

Like exceed the pay rate they are currently enjoying, a "show up bonus" a "completion bonus" and remove some of them from "Double Secret Probation".

Most of the people up north working for the "other company" are only there because some other company didnt want them and now that their "good old boys" cant be in 3 places at the sametime, phone are ringing that are covered in dust.

Maybe Atlantic can throw a party this weekend for all their dedicated techs, who politely said "I'm committed at the moment". Maybe, just maybe........ 8)

Offline dosetek

• Light User
« Reply #68 on: Aug 29, 2007, 08:20 »
I think it amazing that this other company thinks people should not take care of their families or pay their bills to be "loyal to them" you call and call about jobs, work for them for years with an excellent job reputation and they dont care till they are short people. What happened to the days when the companies called you, because they wanted a good tech for their outages. Now you can't even get a returned call or email. Guess playing on the internet takes up too much time.  Those who stay up north  are now on a "da** list" you didnt jump when called. If you are not part of the  good ol boy group which is now calling the shots. then you are out. People are sent to jobs that aren't even returnees, and the plant wants returnees, but who cares they put in who they wanted and that person that the plant would rather have because of their quals and working experience is out of a check. I don't even want a posting from someone saying i am disgruntled so i must be a bad tech. NOT   If reporting to work everyday on time, never late, never calling in sick, and doing my job makes me a bad tech then I'm not the one with the problem. I will not compromise my work ethics to kiss ***, havent done it in 27 years won't now. I also think it is amazing that the statement has been made that Altantic is not a threat to this company, if not why are you trying to steal people those same people that you wouldn't even give the time of day before you needed them. Its ok if a person screws over Atlantic by jumping ship but you had better not do it to the other company. Please people where are our ethics. Oh sorry I forgot its not about how good you do your job, how much the plant wants you, or how much you need to feed your family its about the almighty dollar and not yours. I have heard too much from some really good techs about how they are being treated like crap and worked "loyal" for years and years. I also know for a fact that techs that were on preapproved returnee list were not even gonna be called because they needed to pay their bills and went to work for someone else earlier and bubba wanted to take care of someone else rather than the tech the plant wanted. So if you want to go back to this plant that wants you back you have to go somewhere else for us first, we want to control you life and livelyhood.  Someone is has dropped the ball, and I dont believe it was the techs. Guess this would be why others, myself included, have and are looking for permanent jobs in and out of this business, just aint worth the threats and stress anymore. Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #69 on: Aug 29, 2007, 09:16 »
You should have posted that on the Bartlett thread, the way most of your post reads is that you are pissed at "the other company".  I thought you were refering to Atlantic as 'the other company', because this is the atlantic thread.  Now people are gonna think that you hate atlantic.  They just can't get a break, even when people love them, it sounds like they hate them.

By the way, there are 25 outages this fall.  There will be 39 next spring, a record number since I have been keeping track (Spring 2004). 

Offline dosetek

• Light User
« Reply #70 on: Aug 29, 2007, 09:53 »
No i was following up the last post of how the other company "bartlett" as was previously discussed was trying to do people wrong working for Atlantic. Sorry the first time i really vent and post here, it is missunderstood. This is would be why i havent bothered before. Sorry to waste your space and time.

shovelheadred

« Reply #71 on: Aug 29, 2007, 10:51 »
.....Hey DOSETEK....dont sweat the small stuff...and its all small stuff,,,,we all make mistakes,,,this isnt a perfect world we live in,,,"IS IT".....GIVE THE BROTHER A BREAK,,,,,red

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #72 on: Aug 30, 2007, 02:51 »
No i was following up the last post of how the other company "bartlett" as was previously discussed was trying to do people wrong working for Atlantic. Sorry the first time i really vent and post here, it is missunderstood. This is would be why i havent bothered before. Sorry to waste your space and time.

You shouldn't be discouraged if some people misunderstand what you are saying.  There are times when I am tempted to pick up a bludgeon to direct interest to my point, exactly.  Sadly, it seldom works.  However, when it does, EUREKA hardly describes the emotion.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #73 on: Aug 30, 2007, 04:59 »

The previous posts were also very confusing to me.  People should just say what they mean, instead of 'the other' crap.  We allow people so say they hate bartlett, atlantic, even that they hate me and nukeworker...

We appreciate your posts, I just wanted to put my confused 2 cents worth in.

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #74 on: Sep 01, 2007, 06:00 »
Okay, I'll type slowly so noone gets confused.

The Atlantic Group, or DZ Atlantic as they are called now. A company of 200,000 people, millions of $ in payroll weekly and new policies that we as contractors need to be aware of.

#1 No Direct Deposit

When you travel hundreds of miles from home, dont expect your direct deposit to be arranged by the time you get your 1st pay check. A company that big cant possibly be worried about getting you your money in a timely fashon. You people are scum if you "live check by check", or something like that was mentioned. It takes months to set up something like direct deposit, and get this; when you change to a new outage, all your old information is wiped out and you have to start all over (said the Pesident of Radiological Services, last week).

It is insane for a company like Atlantic to think people budget thier 1st paycheck of the fall season for expenses on the road and at home, insane I tell you.

#2 One Check (Pay & Per Diem combined)

Dont think you gonna keep one check and cash the other, for that fact dont think you gonna cash anything at Walmart ($1500 limit), cause it's all in one check. Now I guess thats a good thing if you have DIRECT DEPOSIT, and your just out of luck if you dont. But I guess now you just have to drive over to the company arranged check cashing bank, wherever it is and pay $5 to get your money.

#3 No Bank

Atlantic, having been on site here for a month, never had to forsight to arrange a bank for cashing checks, espically in light of it taking 6 months to set up the DIRECT DEPOSIT. Now how can it be expected that a huge comapny like DZ Atlantic to care if people hundreds of miles from home, with no DIRECT DEPOSIT cant cash their checks. Espically their 1st pay check of the fall season, why should they, these people got hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank, they just travel to these outages for the casinos.

But have no fear, the President of DZ Atlantic Radiological services is in town to throw a party to kick off the outage, he will fix everything. He has money, he can cash his check. Supposedly, he spent all day Friday going bank to bank, and could not arrange for his multi-million dollar comapny to get the necessary credit account for the employees to cash their checks.

So, those people, who expected to get paid thier 1st money last thursday, got a piece of paper instead. A piece of paper they can do nothing with. The banks must have heard some old ARC people were running the company or something, that rubber bounces real high you know.

Obviously, this is not the Numanco of old. Sure some old Numanco people are running things, but it must be the wrong ones. Cause never with Numanco, heck never with Bartlett has my direct deposit failed to be in affect by the 1st pay check. Never have I seen perdiem & pay combinded in one. And there was always a bank, espically if you were gonna give people checks, espically if it takes 2 years to set up the DIRECT DEPOSIT.

Last week I heard certian people mention they read nuke worker, that they like to know whats really going on, listen to the heart beat of the techs. I hope the people of DZ who bought Atlantic read this also, espically if they find out one day they cant cash their pay check either.

I had no idea it was like this, and if one person reads this and rethinks their decision to work here or for Atlantic, well that is why I am writing. We as contractors, we got nothing but each other, good or bad, tall or short. We share information and evaluate it as it pertains to us. This is my 1st outage with Atlantic, and I cant say it's my last. But I can say, I am pissed off, and that doesnt happen very often for me.

Maybe this is a company problem, one so big they just dont care. Maybe this is geographical, if so I'm sure the returnee rate will be even less next time. Who knows what drives the problem, but there is a problem.

And it could very well be the next problem that puts everything in the rear view mirror. 8)

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #75 on: Sep 03, 2007, 01:27 »
Tarheel,

Sounds about right!   :(

RG

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #76 on: Sep 03, 2007, 09:57 »
when i wuz wit allied, we had that bank credit problem atta site in n.j.  da company solved da problem in one day, they issued p.d. in travelers checks, and payroll wuz regular payroll checks.  done deal.  uv coors, dey didn't have 200000 peeps werking for dem either.  small, agile company.  good to work for.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

mda

« Reply #77 on: Sep 04, 2007, 12:28 »
I agree we are out on our own stll having to use our own money. The man could have brought some cash. Instead he brought somewhat lame excuesses.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #78 on: Sep 04, 2007, 04:11 »
Slo, they were the good old days, another Century, in fact another Millennium!  ;D

Tarheel & Company,

Sorry for being so blunt, but it seems apparent that you have failed to heed your own advice!  The current management team of Atlantic fails to recognize their assets, YOU, as customers!  The VP arrived at the site and you probably received what you should have expected....NOTHING?  About the same response you will get if you call the office!  If you call to fill a vacancy, their all ears!  If you call to resolve a situation, you'd find far more satisfaction by dialing their competitor!    ;)

Just Another Opinion, RG!

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #79 on: Sep 04, 2007, 04:25 »
But as usual, your right on target RG!  8)

illegalsmile

« Reply #80 on: Sep 04, 2007, 05:51 »
I DO know that at least one of Atlantic's competitors has openings at several plants. No need to stay where you ain't appreciated.

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #81 on: Sep 04, 2007, 06:02 »
And you felt the need to tell us that?

Amazing! 8)

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #82 on: Sep 08, 2007, 09:16 »
Welcome to DZ Atlantic

The DZ stands for "dizzy, I'm so dizzy, I dont know how to do DIRECT DEPOSIT, I'm so dizzy".

For some, starting week #4 and still no DIRECT DEPOSIT, they did rough up some local people and find a bank to cash our checks, but they should have told us when we showed up on site, that the people in payroll were not equipted mentally with the tools to be able to handle something as simple as DIRECT DEPOSIT.

I mean, Bartlett can handle it with no problem, and they fought getting it tooth and nail for years. You would think a company with 200,000 people all over the world could handle DIRECT DEPOSIT in their sleep. But I guess sleeping on the job is what they do best at DZ, payroll division anyway.

I feel sorry for the site coordinator, most of this is not his fault, he just has keep ducking and weaving. 8)

illegalsmile

« Reply #83 on: Sep 09, 2007, 09:39 »
And you felt the need to tell us that?

Amazing! 8)

I see people complaining about their treatment and I can only hope it's due to a lack of awareness re: options. The other reasons for remaining in an unhappy situation are just depressing to think about.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #84 on: Sep 09, 2007, 11:21 »
I’ve bitten my tongue for a while, as I try not to get involved in the politics.  But I have got to say something when I see something far out of touch with reality.

We have all been spoiled by Bartlett.  I know of no other company on the planet that provides money the day you show up, then again at the end of the week.  I’ve worked for more than a couple of companies.  Most of them pay every other week, and hold back a week.  That’s standard.  I go to a job with one of them, and I know I won’t get a check for three weeks (no travel pay, no advances, no per Diem, no salary… nothing).  In three weeks, when I do get a check, it won’t be direct deposited.  If the company offers it, it will take at least 2 pay cycles, 4-5 weeks, to get the direct deposit working.  They will not go to a bank and setup a check cashing relationship, it’s not their problem.  NO ONE other than Bartlett does that.  And very few give a per diem check separate from a pay check.  Those are just a few of the reasons Bartlett was so successful.  Bruce placed us getting our money in our pockets at the top of his priority list.  If something didn’t happen like it was supposed to, he made it HIS problem.  I have the utmost respect for him for this fact.  When it came to business, he didn’t miss a trick.

Do you see any other company replying on this forum, setting the record straight and publicly responding to accusations like Eric Bartlett does?  We are again spoiled.

What you are experiencing from DZ Atlantic isn't some company that is out of touch with reality.  They are the norm.  Your expectations are biased.  If you prefer the way Bartlett does business, than vote with your wallet, and work for Bartlett.  If you think Bartlett is the blue devil, then don’t work for them, and get used to how the rest of the world operates.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2007, 11:23 by Rennhack »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #85 on: Sep 10, 2007, 08:50 »
Very well put, Mike. And I would like to expand on it a bit.

(Begin Greybeard story:)

My first outage experience (with RAD services) started with a pre-paid plane ticket waiting at the counter at the airport. I met several fellow techs on the plane when I heard them talking about the outage. We were met at the airport by our site coordinator who led us to the airport lounge, ordered up a round of drinks and passed out our perdiem checks. After the second round (paid ofr by the company) we walked out to the rental cars that were already waiting for us (all paperwork completed) and we went to a local place that had rooms for (no kidding) $2/night. After another round of drinks at the bar there we were told where we could cash our checks and left on our own. During the 'training week' (I think it was actually two weeks) there were numerous after work get-togethers (a few on the company) and a big mid-outage party on RAD's bill.

Talk about spoiled.

When I went to work for Numanco, the song remained the same, but by then the plane tickets and rental cars were on their way out. But the checks were always handed out pre-outage, often by Charlie Pierce himself and almost always at a company get-together. The bash that Charlie threw at the Crystal River kick-off in 1981 was particularly memorable... held at the Holiday Inn with an open bar and free food for a very large crowd.

That is the atmosphere that Bartlett was born into, and while the scenarios have changed a lot, I think the company remembers what it takes to keep employees content.To this day I think the hardest thing about being in the contract business is not negotiating with the utilities, it is getting the techs to fill the contract. Bartlett seems to recognize this better than a lot of companies do because the others started out filling union contracts (non-HP) and all they had to do was call the hall. They didn't have to deal with a bunch of picky, often-spoiled, tempermental (sometimes unreliable) individuals.

Even Bartlett is changing some... the perdiem is only in advance if you request it. I still have not had the benefits of direct deposit with them (I do not currently work for them due to my unique situation but expect to in the future) but that is not very high up on my list. The parties are mostly gone... pizza during training week is probably about it (probably a good thing.) But according to some of the posts I have read, they still have the same roots that some of the other companies never had.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #86 on: Sep 10, 2007, 11:03 »
Working for Bartlett now.  Advance perdiem if you choose is still a norm.  Parties or get togethers no longer a norm.  Direct deposit not offered.  But did get travel with first paycheck.  Can't have everything.
It is what it is!

Tech A

« Reply #87 on: Sep 10, 2007, 11:59 »
Advance per diem is not the norm.  This just started a few years back.  The norm was we got a per diem check the first day and every thursday and then at the end of the outage if we owed bartlett  per diem they would take it out of our last hourly check they sent home.  Now we have to shell out a lot of our money during the first few weeks, case in point.  Showed up for outage on thursday recieved advance per diem.  Next week no per diem.  Hotel room, apts, room rentals, and  even crack houses all want there money at the beginning of the week.  I know Bartlett changed the per diem policy because there were people who complained that didnt want to owe money at the end.  Was there a majority complaint on this?  Did the techs take a vote? Can the techs and Bartlett go back to the old way of handling perdiem if the majority arent satisfied with the new way?  By the way I really enjoy this site and do respect Mr. Rennhack comments, but its not the contractors that are spoiled, its us houetechs who are spoiled compare to the roadies.  When we go to another plant as shared resources we make a whole lot more money, have a layoff date before we start, have a place already set up for us if we like and of course getting treated better than the contractors.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007, 12:40 by Tech A »

vikingfan

« Reply #88 on: Sep 10, 2007, 12:44 »
not sure why so many are in an uproar over bartlett etc etc not paying per diem till the second week ? i.e your first payroll check. they way i see it ppl have been spoiled by the previous system. I have worked for many companies that do not pay per diem upfront, so you just have to budget your savings etc... not gonna tpuch the direct deposit issue...lol

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #89 on: Sep 11, 2007, 05:00 »
Mike,

I agree with most of your comments, which seems to be an accurate assessment of today’s employment perspectives.

I do disagree with the concepts of reality, as it relates to TAG's current management team!  As I read back, it seems that members of their work force have issues relating to financial wellness.  Unlike the competition, TAG has a very limited number of opportunities, about 12 collectively!  It's probably unreasonable to believe that they could have the FORESIGHT to make check cashing arrangements at each facility, that is if they really cared!  Like you, I have worked for several companies, in several states and there has always been a venue for cashing checks...ALWAYS!  The possibility existed that cashing a check would cost a few bucks, but at least the venue was available and you knew the company did the foot work first!  Like you said, BB always considered money in the Techs pocket as the highest priority!  A Technician with a couple of negotiable notes in their pocket is far happier that one with a piece of paper that brings a response of NO WAY! 

As far as a TAG representative responding to a thread on this site, (excuse me while I wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes), I’ll bet that World Peace happens first! 

RG

LaFeet

« Reply #90 on: Oct 18, 2007, 09:38 »
You guys sound like you are having a bad year.....  As for Atlantic, I (and many others) have had no problem with Direct Deposit or any other financial arrangements.  I have had more trouble with Bartlett pay wise than anyone else.  I am currently without local cashing arrangenments because Bartlett will not complete an arrangement with Chase.  So be it.. Imma big boy and I can go to the Bank of America in Chicago on my day off. Not the best arrangement, but one that I can complete without having to rely apon Bartlett.

As for loyalty... I am more loyal to the location of work rather than who has the contract.  I do feel bad when either Atl. or Bart. calls and I am unavailable.  It happens. 

Between the two, I have had better luck with Atlantic.  But Ill work when I can and hopefully where I want to.

Good luck to you all

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #91 on: Oct 19, 2007, 08:22 »
LaFeet,

LaSalle Bank is now part of Bank of America and there are branches in St. Joseph and Benton Harbor.  You may want to try them for cashing your check before driving to Chicago.. unless you just wanna drive there  ;D

I thought it would be worth checking out... If I was at home, I'd check it out for you and let you know.

Lorrie

LaFeet

« Reply #92 on: Oct 19, 2007, 09:30 »
LaFeet,

LaSalle Bank is now part of Bank of America and there are branches in St. Joseph and Benton Harbor.  You may want to try them for cashing your check before driving to Chicago.. unless you just wanna drive there  ;D

I thought it would be worth checking out... If I was at home, I'd check it out for you and let you know.

Lorrie

Thanks Lorrie..... I did not know that.   I will give them a try next week.  Already took care of the checks this week.

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #93 on: Oct 20, 2007, 06:32 »
I know Atlantic has sold out its valve division to DZ.  I have heard that they will soon be folding the rp portion also.  Anyone know if it is true?  I hope not, this will mean no competition with Bartlett.
It is what it is!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #94 on: Oct 21, 2007, 01:40 »
I know Atlantic has sold out its valve division to DZ.  I have heard that they will soon be folding the rp portion also.  Anyone know if it is true?  I hope not, this will mean no competition with Bartlett.

You are not correct.  DZ/NPS bought Atlantic group, not just a valve portion.  DZ/Atlantic Grp plans to continue with HP/RP contracts as far as I know.  And if they stoped, then another would spring up.  There will always be at least 2 options.  There are pleanty of other companies/people that would be willing to step up if Atlantic steped down.

nugent_oh

« Reply #95 on: Nov 16, 2007, 10:35 »
well i wish it would go back to the old way of diem check when ya show up and then thursday off the first week and skip a week. after that your on schedule for both checks. i took the 750 advance and regreted it but that was my choice to take it. iwon't do that again.
Advance per diem is not the norm.  This just started a few years back.  The norm was we got a per diem check the first day and every thursday and then at the end of the outage if we owed bartlett  per diem they would take it out of our last hourly check they sent home.  Now we have to shell out a lot of our money during the first few weeks, case in point.  Showed up for outage on thursday recieved advance per diem.  Next week no per diem.  Hotel room, apts, room rentals, and  even crack houses all want there money at the beginning of the week.  I know Bartlett changed the per diem policy because there were people who complained that didnt want to owe money at the end.  Was there a majority complaint on this?  Did the techs take a vote? Can the techs and Bartlett go back to the old way of handling perdiem if the majority arent satisfied with the new way?  By the way I really enjoy this site and do respect Mr. Rennhack comments, but its not the contractors that are spoiled, its us houetechs who are spoiled compare to the roadies.  When we go to another plant as shared resources we make a whole lot more money, have a layoff date before we start, have a place already set up for us if we like and of course getting treated better than the contractors.

LaFeet

« Reply #96 on: Dec 02, 2007, 11:13 »
I disagree... I like getting that Per Diem Check WITH my last check.... I manage my money to support me getting there. 

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #97 on: Dec 03, 2007, 08:03 »
well i wish it would go back to the old way of diem check when ya show up and then thursday off the first week and skip a week. after that your on schedule for both checks. i took the 750 advance and regreted it but that was my choice to take it. iwon't do that again.

This is the atlantic group thread, and Atlantic Group never did that, it is not their 'Old Way'.  Perhaps you meant the way BARTLETT used to do it?  That should go in the Bartlett thread.

duke99301

« Reply #98 on: Dec 03, 2007, 08:37 »
worked thankgiving and friday and did not get paid for the holiday sigh. I had enough hours but they siad it did not count .
sure wish it they tell you that before a holiday ...
oh will Merry Xmas everyone ..

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #99 on: Dec 03, 2007, 09:40 »
worked thankgiving and friday and did not get paid for the holiday sigh. I had enough hours but they siad it did not count .
sure wish it they tell you that before a holiday ...
oh will Merry Xmas everyone ..

Numanco never paid holidays either... But Bartlett usually does.

So, does Atlantic group still look better to people?

skip149

D Z Atlantic
« Reply #100 on: Mar 24, 2008, 01:02 »
well i guess im confused!  im working the cooper outage for alantic and im not real happy with what im hearing or seeing, several people came out here and were told that they would not be paid untill they got there badges! as we all know for a new commer this could take up to two weeks, no one was told of this and thew feeling is they with held this info to get people out here, i drove 1400 miles to get here and if i knew this i would have not come to this job, ive never worked for atlantic and im not real inpressed, anyways i feel that this sort of info needs to be dissclosed tp a worker before you have them travel half way accross the country!!!  What do you think?

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
Re: D Z Atlantic
« Reply #101 on: Mar 24, 2008, 01:13 »
Doesn't sound like you are confused at all if this is truely the case. Work for no pay? Leave.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #102 on: Mar 24, 2008, 03:00 »
Doesn't sound like you are confused at all if this is truely the case. Work for no pay? Leave.

No diem, no see'um...no checkee, no techee. Your path is clear. ;)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
« Reply #103 on: Mar 24, 2008, 05:19 »
Sadly, what was Numanco is gone; to never be seen again.

I guess DIZZY (DZ) has decided to start do some of the things that made others, the GIANT of Nuclear Power Health Physics Services.

At least they told you "no check for 2 weeks". Last Fall, they just gave us checks we counldnt cash, because they would not and then couldnt get us a bank to cash our checks, why would we need to cash our checks? But they kept that "Direct Deposit" carrot out there, when that turned into complete incopentence for 8 weeks, espically after "The Cooker" made it happen in 1 week at HC.

So I feel your pain, I fear this is only the beginning, but not the future we hoped for as an alternative for a better Nuclear Life. 8)
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008, 01:07 by Dream Tarheel »

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #104 on: Mar 24, 2008, 07:27 »
Did you sign that confirmation letter they shoved in your face on opening day?  The one that states you are not considered an employee until you meet all the prerequisites, including:  Pass all site specific training, satisfactory background screening and so on?  If you did and you haven't, then an employer/employee relationship has not yet been established, (you’re more, or less, on vacation)!  One positive note, since you’re not actually considered an employee, packing the bags for a new destination shouldn't hurt anybodies feelings!  They hate it when you toss that one back at them!

BUT............... 

On the other hand, if they mandate a schedule of where you have to be and when, with any implied, suggest, or drafted jeopardy attached, for failing to comply with their request, their letter is WORTHLESS!  Sorry, an employer can not establish an employment venue by baiting an individual to an opportunity, and then conveniently configure the acceptance criteria at the expense of the employee!  That sounds like the old company store policies of the early 1900's converted to contemporary times! 

If a company representative notifies me that I'm not being compensated for my time, services, or expenses for whatever reason, that's actually an official notification of a lay off and out processing commences!

What do I think?  I don't know exactly what I would be thinking in this position, but I know I wouldn't be thinking about it in NEBRASKA!  Not that I would be so bold, but the Site VP would be my first choice for voicing the situation, (If you know your Going, Go Big), followed by their Employee Concern Program!  Not that they would necessarily do anything, but the record would be established.  Although the utility may dismiss any responsibility in the event, they facilitated it by allowing Atlantic to institute it!  Sorry, if you know about it and ignore it, you’re responsible! 

Seems kind of strange for this event to pop up at this time of the season, considering it would probably take about 1 E -10 seconds to acquire a new J...O...B!  Big Blue's Recruiting office is probably in a Feeding Frenzy!  Jerry is probably already on the plane taking advantage of that time zone difference!  I'm sure they would be more than willing to put the entire Atlantic staff to work.......................ju st a guess!

What the Hecks that Number again...........RG.. 8)

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #105 on: Mar 24, 2008, 07:41 »
what is your craft? 
It is what it is!

vikingfan

« Reply #106 on: Mar 24, 2008, 09:16 »
if you don't or can't pass in processing you don't get paid !! this is not an uncommon practice in todays world of nukes regardless if you travel 30 miles or 3000 you need to be prepared to pass the tests which are relatively easy.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
Re: DZ Atlantic Group
« Reply #107 on: Mar 24, 2008, 07:00 »
well i guess im confused!  im working the cooper outage for alantic and im not real happy with what im hearing or seeing, several people came out here and were told that they would not be paid untill they got there badges! as we all know for a new commer this could take up to two weeks, no one was told of this and thew feeling is they with held this info to get people out here, i drove 1400 miles to get here and if i knew this i would have not come to this job, ive never worked for atlantic and im not real inpressed, anyways i feel that this sort of info needs to be dissclosed tp a worker before you have them travel half way accross the country!!!  What do you think?

It depends on what you mean by 'not be paid until they get their badges.' Does that mean that the pay you have earned is withheld until you get a badge? Or does it mean you don't start earning money until you have a badge? Different scenarios.

If they do not give you a check for the money earned during training until you get a badge, that should not be a huge issue since the pay usually lags by enough that you should have your badge before the pay would arrive anyway... or shortly thereafter. If they are asking you to work without being paid for the time you are in training and only start getting paid for the time you work after you are badged, I say run away as fast as you can. There is a huge shortage of techs (I think most of the current outages are short-staffed right now) and a new job should be easy to get. Personally I would hate to 'eat' the travel costs, but I would hate to not get paid for working even more. I would go and call it an expensive lesson learned.

This is all predicated on you not agreeing to this scenario in the first place. If your employment package (assuming you got one) states you don't get paid until badged and you agreed to come to work there anyway (or chose not to read the agreement before going) then you should honor your commitment and suck it up... and not work for them again if you find the situation unacceptable.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Fermione

« Reply #108 on: Mar 25, 2008, 11:31 »
Numanco never paid holidays either... But Bartlett usually does.

So, does Atlantic group still look better to people?

Heck Mike,
I remember when Numanco paid hoildays.  Heck I used to get Victory over Japan Day! 
Heck, that was a long, long, long, time ago.
Cabo

LaFeet

« Reply #109 on: Apr 10, 2008, 09:55 »
I recall being paid holidays while working for Atlantic during the past fall.  As for all the troubles others are having, I have been fortunate to have been treated well by DZ-A....they have kept all obligations that they have made, either in writing or verbal.  I cant say them same about all the other companies I have worked for.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
« Reply #110 on: Apr 10, 2008, 05:17 »
My husband did almost 6 months with Atlantic and didn't receive pay for any of the 4 holidays he was there for.   

I thought it was across the board that they didn't pay holidays for anyone...

hmmmm.....

LaFeet

« Reply #111 on: Apr 10, 2008, 06:55 »
Sorry to hear that Miss HPGal... it may be that the contract that I received holiday pay were written that way....

moochiebubble

« Reply #112 on: Jun 30, 2008, 11:45 »
Atlantic has been good to me and did not shaft me out of 18.1 with the " you haven't held a meter for this whole month " routine. Be straight with them and they will be straight with you or perhaps I'm naive. moochiebubble

stucker

« Reply #113 on: Aug 26, 2008, 06:34 »
These are MY experiences and opinions, I don't intend to offend...

I'm very new at this nuke thing but if DZ will teach you anything it's how to be treated like someone who doesn't matter and as if you should like it. They don't listen to complaints and would prefer for you to never ask questions. Don't dare bring up a safety concern. If you're being treated unfairly by a supervisor, keep it to yourself.

On my first day of work at my first outage I was offended by a sexist comment a safety guy (who turned out to be a very nice guy..) made about how hard I was going to work compared to men who were doing the same job.

At this same outage the project manager bashed on Bartlett for 'hiring people who weren't qualified for the job just to fill positions'. Sadly, he must have been speaking from the heart of his beloved company because I saw this with hundreds of people at my next outage (supervisors included)...

They tell you that if you're too tired, call someone and let them know and you can come in late or skip the night or 'they'll work with you, because safety is the most important thing'. I called and voiced that I had a busy day (which included a speeding ticket and a frozen bank account) and would it be okay if I came in a little later.. Things seemed fine, until I got there, I was laid off that night 2 hours after I got there.

The next day I woke up to the DZ recruiter (Whom you all know) calling me to tell me they didn't have a job for me at the next outage that I was already confirmed (for over a month) for. My boyfriend who got laid off with me was still confirmed...

I called the on-site lady to see what she could do and there was a position available. I started work and was treated like...poo by my supervisor and every other person who was of a higher rank than myself. Yelled at by a LEAD in the middle of HP for having an 'attitude' when all I did is mention the messiness of the clean change bathroom.

They took $500+ from my first paycheck at the second outage for per diem from the first outage (Which was my HOME PLANT. i.e. local per diem).

Even though I've had lots of problems with them, if you asked my boyfriend how he feels about DZ, he'll give you a completely different answer. -shrug- To each his own.

-ST

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #114 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:08 »
Sorry to hear your bad experience.  But I hate to tell you that it can happen with the other companies too.  (Had it happen once with Bartlett).  I think it comes down to the individual plant personnel and the coordinator for that plant.  Always comes down to people and how an individual treats others. And from experience, about 23 years in the biz, it doesn't get any easier.  All depends on how you approach things.
It is what it is!

justatech

« Reply #115 on: Aug 27, 2008, 04:42 »
Red Hacker - What is your problem.............That is about the nastiest reply I have seen for a newcomer. Weren't you on the Women for Nuclear board questioning why more women do not post - how to recruit more women to the board? Take it easy on Stucker - she is allowed her opinion whether you agree with it or not.

Stucker - on behalf of Nukeworker I apologize - believe it or not we are here to help all new people to the business. Yes, some of us have had a bad outage or two. I wanted to walk away after my first outage - my second outage I stayed and have had no regrets since. It could be the site - I know the first site I went to and disliked immensely Bartlett had to promise the world before Techs would return.

You're young and new to the business - it is very different from - judging from your age - from high school till now - let's say a fast food place, waitress work, clerical or sales work. The man who stated that you would work harder than the men was being truthful in a sense, this is a male dominated industry. If there is 50 men on a work crew and 10 are slackers - they won't be noticed but let there be one woman on the crew and all women are slackers. It is unfortunate but it is viewed that way until you get your credentials, work hard, ask questions and stay focused on your career path in nuclear - if you choose to stay. It can be very rewarding in the long run - don't let a few bad apples ruin your day or your choice of a new career.

I suggest going to a few more outages - sites are different. If you are training to be a Tech, call Bartlett. I have found that Bartlett's people are more family oriented and work well with one another, the majority will go out of their way to train you and explain how to go about doing business at each site.

Eric Bartlett's number is 800-225-0385 - call - talk to a recruiter - send in your resume. If you would like additional information you can email me here - I'll take the time to explain things in detail if you do not want to post again.
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2008, 06:39 by justatech »

stucker

« Reply #116 on: Oct 28, 2008, 04:56 »
Wow, I guess redhacker got pretty rude, eh? Even the moderator messaged me about it. Along the lines of 'very rude and vulgar' Lol.

Thanks for the back up justatech. And the number. I'm not giving up, I'm at Palo Verde right now and everything here seems fine.

Kind of makes me wonder what was said, perhaps I could be told in a message this time so I can defend myself?   :P

-ST
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2008, 05:02 by stucker »

MR BIG

« Reply #117 on: Oct 29, 2008, 11:57 »
I suggest going to a few more outages - sites are different. If you are training to be a Tech, call Bartlett. I have found that Bartlett's people are more family oriented and work well with one another, the majority will go out of their way to train you and explain how to go about doing business at each site.

Are you serious? More friendly? You better talk to people that have been in this business more than 3 years. Unless there has been a miracle, the people yeah. The company? Be afraid be very afraid.
Just some advice from someone who has been in the business for 30 yrs.

justatech

« Reply #118 on: Oct 30, 2008, 12:15 »
Are you serious? More friendly? You better talk to people that have been in this business more than 3 years. Unless there has been a miracle, the people yeah. The company? Be afraid be very afraid.
Just some advice from someone who has been in the business for 30 yrs.

I should have stated specifically the majority of the techs that travel the road are family oriented and are very helpful training the new ones. As for the company, I have never had a problem with Bartlett's office staff, they were always professional and i got to go to the outages I wanted to. Sorry your experience has been less than favorable.

justatech

« Reply #119 on: Oct 30, 2008, 12:21 »
Wow, I guess redhacker got pretty rude, eh? Even the moderator messaged me about it. Along the lines of 'very rude and vulgar' Lol.
Thanks for the back up justatech. And the number. I'm not giving up, I'm at Palo Verde right now and everything here seems fine.
Kind of makes me wonder what was said, perhaps I could be told in a message this time so I can defend myself?   :P
-ST

The moderator was right along with several others on that night that reported the posting, it was very rude and offensive. But with that being said, I'm glad you're hanging in there - Palo Verde is a very nice site, you should have an enjoyable outage. A couple more outages under your belt and you'll feel more comfortable going to different plants........

urbo

« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2010, 10:30 »
DZ Atlantic is very tricky, They change rules in the middle of the game. below normal per Diem  and trying to cut it out all together. very greedy and shady. Need union to fix there tyrant ways.

LaFeet

« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2010, 12:32 »
DZ Atlantic is very tricky, They change rules in the middle of the game. below normal per Diem  and trying to cut it out all together. very greedy and shady. Need union to fix there tyrant ways.

Personally I have never had a problem with DZ.  I have had a problem with Bartlett and have made a mistake while working for them.  Either way the best  approach is to look out for yourself and do the very best job that you can.  Prove your worth and they will not only call you back, they will take better care of you too.

Good luck to all this outage season, it looks to be a hectic one - Pablo

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
Re: Day & Zimmermann
« Reply #122 on: Sep 03, 2010, 07:56 »
Last time I worked for them they didn't believe in paying for holidays.  (Hmmm,  :-\ I wonder if they still billed the utility for them though.)

They also told me once that my rate of pay was such that my overtime was to be paid as straight time.  I countered with their initial verbal offer, and the acceptance agreement form I had signed, stated time and a half for overtime.  When we looked it up I was right so they told me that was obviously a mistake and I was to be paid straight time for all hours worked.  I said it might be a mistake, but I didn't make it and expected them to keep their end of the agreement.  After a lot of other back and forth discussions they finally agreed that that's what they would pay.

Would I work for them again?  Sure.  They were up front with the no holiday pay so as long as it's identified and agreed upon in the beginning I have no problems with it.  Just make sure they don't try and change horses on you downstream.
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2010, 08:14 by walstib »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #123 on: Sep 03, 2010, 11:12 »
If you are a working long term for DZ Atlantic as RP, Decon or Alara, please send me a personal message.

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #124 on: Sep 03, 2010, 11:14 »
If you are a working long term for DZ Atlantic as RP, Decon or Alara, please send me a personal message.

cewright

atlantic sux
« Reply #125 on: Sep 11, 2010, 07:28 »
if you work for a certain contractor at oconee any period of time and do them a good job they will repay you by destroying your life.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2010, 07:33 by done wrong »

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: atlantic sux
« Reply #126 on: Sep 11, 2010, 09:40 »
if you work for a certain contractor at oconee any period of time and do them a good job they will repay you by destroying your life.

Perhaps you would care to elaborate?
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2010, 12:12 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

cewright

« Reply #127 on: Sep 13, 2010, 04:51 »
i got let go after 4 yrs of continuous service because i moved to a trailer for 4 months and then back to the apartment right before i got a letter saying i had to requalify for my perdeim they didny like it made up stupid excuses to let me go they are trying to rid all of workers who get perdeim i cant even get no answers back from norfolk where i sent everything for them to look at said they would let me know something havent heard from them dont even know if i can work anywhere nuclear again does anybody know how to check on your clearance.

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #128 on: Sep 13, 2010, 05:46 »
I was at Catawba last spring and it was common knowledge DZ was being audited by Duke Power about Per Diem

Sun Dog

« Reply #129 on: Sep 13, 2010, 09:22 »
i got let go after 4 yrs of continuous service because i moved to a trailer for 4 months and then back to the apartment right before i got a letter saying i had to requalify for my perdeim they didny like it made up stupid excuses to let me go they are trying to rid all of workers who get perdeim i cant even get no answers back from norfolk where i sent everything for them to look at said they would let me know something havent heard from them dont even know if i can work anywhere nuclear again does anybody know how to check on your clearance.

Is that 4 years continuous service in one location?  If yes, then you were not eligible for PD.

They let you go for living in a trailer?  Hell, looks like no Arkansas resident need apply.

Contract companies really do not care if you receive PD.  PD is directly billed to the client.  The contract employer does not (typically) mark-up PD billing invoices.  The client may have said we will not reimburse PD expenses.  You may be mad at the wrong folks.

Watch your double negatives.

Even if you were terminated because you moved into a trailer for 4 months, I doubt that is reason to deny you UA.

But, I may be wrong (dang, if I don't just love that disclaimer).

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #130 on: Sep 13, 2010, 11:09 »
PD is directly billed to the client.  The contract employer does not (typically) mark-up PD billing invoices.

Typically that is true (I think big blue just passes it through) Some other companies add a very very small carrying cost fee (1-3%), because they have to borrow that money from the bank to pay you weekly, then wait 3 months to get their invoice paid.  The costs in fronting that money can really add up.

I'm surprised this guy got fired for living in a trailer.... Gets never got fired for living in his car... or did he?

So, was the trailer a mobile home, or a trailer in the parking lot?

(Who me? Off-topic?)
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2010, 07:13 by Rennhack »

Sun Dog

« Reply #131 on: Sep 13, 2010, 11:53 »
Typically that is true (I think big blue just passes it through) Some other companies add a very very small carrying cost fee (1-3%), because they have to borrow that money from the bank to pay you weekly, then wait 3 months to get their invoice paid.  The costs in fronting that money can really add up.

I'm surprised this guy got fired for living in a trailer.... Gets never got fired for living in his car... or did he?

So, was the trailer a mobile home, or a trailer in the parking lot?

(Who me? Off-topic?)

I'd hate to see you go to off-topic hell by your lonesome...thanks for the confirmation...typically speaking that is

Contract companies really do not care if you receive PD.  PD is directly billed to the client.  The contract employer does not (typically) mark-up PD billing invoices.  The client may have said we will not reimburse PD expenses.

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2010, 07:14 by Rennhack »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #132 on: Sep 14, 2010, 03:41 »
My company does not mark up per diem or any other expense.  Maybe we ought to look into that at some point, but even with a markup, we wouldn't be making a profit on them anyway.

We do charge our customers per diem and some other travel and living expenses, but only for those who are eligible.  If you are local to the site, we would get into trouble with the IRS, the customers, our parent company, and probably a few other people.  If we charge a customer for expenses that the employee is not entitled to - even though we pay every penny of it to the employee - the customer will refuse to pay us, and could terminate our contract.  Four years at one site is definitely one where we could not pay per diem, but once or twice a year (a few weeks at a time) for several years would be different.
Changing your address does not necessarily change your tax home.  But, if you moved your entire household to a trailer that was local to the work site, you may have established that site as your tax home.  In which case, taking per diem would be against the tax regs.
Really, if you are at the same site full-time for four years, it doesn't matter where you lay your head -- you shouldn't be getting per diem.
Too many of my fellow nuke workers are permanently addicted to per diem, which is meant to be temporary.

I can't say for sure that such a thing would disqualify you from unescorted access, but I can say that is has been denied for people who had things on their credit report from the IRS.  Heck, they can deny it if you paid your Visa Card late.

I have had my expense reports audited with a microscope.  It isn't fun.  What is even less fun is trying to explain to my customer why I allowed a dishonest employee to claim reimbursements that he wasn't entitled to.  Even if I catch it before they do, it still gets that employee's stink all over me and my company.  Then, that employee will undoubtedly come here and tell everyone on NukeWorker how we ruined his life.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Fluffy Bunny

• Light User
« Reply #133 on: Sep 14, 2010, 04:01 »
Then, that employee will undoubtedly come here and tell everyone on NukeWorker how we ruined his life.

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2010, 04:03 by Fluffy Bunny »
[stir] I'm the Troll your mother warned you about, feed me.

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #134 on: Sep 15, 2010, 09:53 »
I"m trying to stay out of the drama on this web site,but I just want to comment on a earlier post. I don't think living in Arkansas had a thing to do with this subject.

From a poor a-- country boy who lives in a trailer and just happens to be in ARKANSAS/Ha!! Ha!!
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #135 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:08 »
I"m trying to stay out of the drama on this web site,but I just want to comment on a earlier post. I don't think living in Arkansas had a thing to do with this subject.

I'm sure we all agree with you.  I think the earlier posters were just trying to have a little fun, and didn't intend for it to be a legitimate talking point.

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #136 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:42 »
I know I'm always getting pick at about the Arkansas thing and it's all good!! we have to enjoy a little instructive fun time to time and on the drama thing. Thats due to my past getting to caught up in drama that I shouldn't have. Life's so good
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #137 on: Sep 15, 2010, 12:04 »
I know I'm always getting pick at about the Arkansas thing and it's all good!! we have to enjoy a little instructive fun time to time and on the drama thing. Thats due to my past getting to caught up in drama that I shouldn't have. Life's so good

Come to Alabama.  No one ever picks on us..... :)
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #138 on: Sep 15, 2010, 05:55 »
 [OT]

What does an Arkansas divorce have in common with a Tornado?

In both cases, somebody is about to lose a trailer...

We now return you to our regularly scheduled topic... which we lost quite a while ago.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2010, 05:55 by RDTroja »

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Hoser

• Not just another..
  • Light User
  • CNS ROCKS !
« Reply #139 on: Sep 30, 2010, 03:58 »
Now THAT is funny  :P  +K

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #140 on: Sep 30, 2010, 04:21 »
Last time I worked for them they didn't believe in paying for holidays.  (Hmmm,  :-\ I wonder if they still billed the utility for them though.)

They also told me once that my rate of pay was such that my overtime was to be paid as straight time.  I countered with their initial verbal offer, and the acceptance agreement form I had signed, stated time and a half for overtime.  When we looked it up I was right so they told me that was obviously a mistake and I was to be paid straight time for all hours worked.  I said it might be a mistake, but I didn't make it and expected them to keep their end of the agreement.  After a lot of other back and forth discussions they finally agreed that that's what they would pay.

Would I work for them again?  Sure.  They were up front with the no holiday pay so as long as it's identified and agreed upon in the beginning I have no problems with it.  Just make sure they don't try and change horses on you downstream.
You'd work for a company again that wanted to pay you straight wages for overtime hours? And people wonder why this industry went in the crapper 15-20 years ago...

Sun Dog

« Reply #141 on: Sep 30, 2010, 10:54 »
You'd work for a company again that wanted to pay you straight wages for overtime hours? And people wonder why this industry went in the crapper 15-20 years ago...

ST wages for OT hours is not such a bitter pill to swallow when your ST rate is treble the prevailing wages.

But then again, I may be right.

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #142 on: Oct 01, 2010, 08:14 »
ST wages for OT hours is not such a bitter pill to swallow when your ST rate is treble the prevailing wages.

Exactly  +K.  I previously worked a job out of the country where my pay rate was such that all hours worked were at a straight rate.  That was our deal up front and I had no problem with it. 

The job with DZ Atlantic was as a Rad Eng and the pay rate was comparable to what I had been paid in Canada.  The difference was this time they had told me they would pay me time and a half for overtime.  That was our deal (and signed agreement), so when they tried to back out of it I wouldn't let them and made them pay me time and a half when appropriate.  Would I work for them again.  I already have.  They come up with the money and a position I want and I'll take a job with them. Just make sure what your deal is up front and don't let them bluff you out of it later.  :)
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #143 on: Oct 03, 2010, 12:52 »

I don't think you are. $30.00 dollars an hour give or take a couple bucks is the prevailing wage for most jobs right now. I believe you meant to write triple, not treble, prevailing wages. And nobody is getting 90 bucks an hour to swing a meter in this country. Nobody. Most "house " jobs pay $35-40/hr.

Look, pill swallowing aside, there are state and federal laws which dictate when and if overtime is to be paid. Nearly all the time, at least time and a half is to paid. According to the US Dept of Labor, Wage and Hour Divsion, "You must be paid 1.5 times your basic rate of pay for all hours worked over 40 in a week. There are some exceptions." 99.97% of the time an hourly worker won't fall under the exceptions. We're not talkling about salaried or exempt folks here so let's get that out of the way right now. This is about hourly craft workers performing a trade. The Walsh-Healey Public Contracts Act states, "Covered workers must be paid at least one and one-half times their basic rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 a week..." I could go on and on but I won't.

Bottom line, if technicians are getting paid straight wages for overtime, your company loves you. Because they're billing the client time and a half and paying you straight, and will be perceived as someone they can get one over on. The person who started this thread got his (or her) premium pay because that's the law, and the company knew it.

Sun Dog

« Reply #144 on: Oct 04, 2010, 12:22 »
I don't think you are. $30.00 dollars an hour give or take a couple bucks is the prevailing wage for most jobs right now. I believe you meant to write triple, not treble, prevailing wages. And nobody is getting 90 bucks an hour to swing a meter in this country. Nobody. Most "house " jobs pay $35-40/hr.

Look, pill swallowing aside, there are state and federal laws which dictate when and if overtime is to be paid. Nearly all the time, at least time and a half is to paid. According to the US Dept of Labor, Wage and Hour Divsion, "You must be paid 1.5 times your basic rate of pay for all hours worked over 40 in a week. There are some exceptions." 99.97% of the time an hourly worker won't fall under the exceptions. We're not talkling about salaried or exempt folks here so let's get that out of the way right now. This is about hourly craft workers performing a trade. The Walsh-Healey Public Contracts Act states, "Covered workers must be paid at least one and one-half times their basic rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 a week..." I could go on and on but I won't.

Bottom line, if technicians are getting paid straight wages for overtime, your company loves you. Because they're billing the client time and a half and paying you straight, and will be perceived as someone they can get one over on. The person who started this thread got his (or her) premium pay because that's the law, and the company knew it.

Sorry, didn't realize the discussion was limited to "meter swingers."  For the past 20 (+/-) years I have beed paid straight wages for my 'OT' hours.  Some assignments were as a salaried employee, most as an hourly employee.  I accept this situation because my hourly wage is high enough to more than compensate for the loss of 1-1/2 times ST rate for OT hours.  The 10 years before that was mostly 1-1/2 for OT, I like the situation I have now much better.

BTW, I meant to write treble, not triple.  I'll save you the trouble of looking it up:

tre·ble   /ˈtrɛbəl/ [treb-uhl] 
adjective, noun, verb, -bled, -bling. 
–adjective
1. threefold; triple.
2. Music .
a. of or pertaining to the highest part in harmonized music; soprano.
b. of the highest pitch or range, as a voice part, voice, singer, or instrument.
c. high in pitch; shrill.
–noun
3. Music .
a. the treble or soprano part.
b. a treble voice, singer, or instrument.
4. a high or shrill voice or sound.
5. the highest-pitched peal of a bell.
–verb (used with object), verb (used without object)
6. to make or become three times as much or as many; triple.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #145 on: Oct 04, 2010, 08:20 »
BTW, I meant to write treble, not triple.  I'll save you the trouble of looking it up:

tre·ble   /ˈtrɛbəl/ [treb-uhl] 
1. threefold; triple.
6. to make or become three times as much or as many; triple.

Like a treble hook.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #146 on: Oct 04, 2010, 10:05 »
The trouble with trebles is,..... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

I think You mean: "The Trouble With Tribbles"

Sun Dog

« Reply #147 on: Oct 04, 2010, 10:19 »
This time it isn't sleep.  It's a cold.

Cold?  It isn't even November yet.  But, it is always something isn't it?

LaFeet

« Reply #148 on: Oct 06, 2010, 02:09 »
It's always cold in Humboldt... why do you think I wear long johns everyday (two sets starting soon) :D

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #149 on: Oct 06, 2010, 02:27 »
It's always cold in Humboldt... why do you think I wear long johns everyday (two sets starting soon) :D

Humboldt ain't cold....the banana slugs do just fine without long johns or fur! Must be something about eating the local foliage that keeps the locals warm ;)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #150 on: Oct 06, 2010, 03:10 »
Cold?  It isn't even November yet.  But, it is always something isn't it?

Perhaps it wasn't a cold.  Perhaps it was allergies.  Whatever it was, it has passed.

LaFeet

« Reply #151 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:05 »
Not passed yet... the winter is here, the wind is whipping and I am still wearing long johns.  Yeah  them there banana slugs do fine... just like their neighbors the frogs.   This is the only place above I-40 that I have been that the frogs only sing in the winter (except maybe a zoo) ;D

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #152 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:19 »
Not passed yet... the winter is here, the wind is whipping and I am still wearing long johns.  Yeah  them there banana slugs do fine... just like their neighbors the frogs.   This is the only place above I-40 that I have been that the frogs only sing in the winter (except maybe a zoo) ;D

Only guy I knew that wore LJs up through June in OK!   ;D ;D
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #153 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:43 »
This (including me) has gotten way  [OT]!  This thread is DZ Atlantic - NOT Humbolt Bay or LaFeet's hate of the cold!   ;D ;D
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

LaFeet

« Reply #154 on: Mar 08, 2011, 09:55 »
I agree Terry ... as for Atlantic - I would go work for them anytime I am not currently obligated.  You know me, I keep my promises.

gloucestermurphys

« Reply #155 on: Apr 10, 2011, 12:41 »
new to nuke working a local plant with dz signed the paper but at the end of a week a buddy of mine started one week prior he still is waiting for the red badge so two weeks and he is told to be at the shop monday but so far no pay this might be something they got in writing but when it comes down to it have a worker on site for 3 weeks or more with no pay and if they don't pass the check no pay hmm and there is folks that agree this is ok and the norm. Back in 1902 sure it was before labor rights. When I signed the answer they give you is you get paid when you pass but not letting you know it can be 3 to 5 weeks. Of 2000 workers over 50% are new to nuke on this site. In 3 weeks I'm not chancing my life to a maybe. But two weeks and one day tommorrow for my buddy still no pay or badge and from what I understand theres alot of that here and worse. Also someone overheard someone  known as hearsay "we are have to going to pay these guys sometime." Well if I were to keep $100,000. dollars in the bank a extra week or two interest is profit. But I'm sure its way more than $100,000.At whose expense.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #156 on: Jun 03, 2013, 10:46 »
Does Atlantic have an "Outage Wish List" so you can see which plants they are staffing?  I poked around their site a little bit, but didn't see one...

Thanks for your help!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #157 on: Jun 04, 2013, 12:48 »
they have one, but it is hard to find and not always updated, plus it has a security issue, might not allow it at work.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #158 on: Jun 04, 2013, 10:25 »
Looks like they no longer update:

http://www.workatlantic.com/Projects.aspx

And www.atlanticgroup.com forwards to http://www.dayzim.com/Services_and_Products/ECM

I hunted around their site, and I can not find any outage wish list, or any open RP jobs.  I can tell you this:  Assuming you are interested in RP type jobs, there are 21 outages this fall, Bartlett has 19 of them.  Look at tyour Gold member schedule, and subtract the 19 Barrett has and what is left is DZ Atlantic (plus one split)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

MR BIG

« Reply #161 on: Jun 06, 2013, 02:06 »
Yeah....and they don't charge a dime for it. What a concept!

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
« Reply #162 on: Jun 06, 2013, 03:40 »
DZ is showing 4 outages for this fall. (Not nearly enough IMHO). Looking at posts from big blue It's really light all over this season!
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Dinerp

« Reply #163 on: Jun 06, 2013, 05:13 »
I worked one outage for DZ atlantic. I have worked close to 50 outages for Big Blue. There were a lot of good techs that says they only work for DZ Atlantic. 2 issues I had, were not getting payroll deposit (submitted voided check during in processing) and the site coordinator that threw a fit when asked questions. Other than that, no issues with hiring, security paperwork, and final paycheck.

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
« Reply #164 on: Jun 07, 2013, 10:06 »
DZ is showing 4 outages for this fall. (Not nearly enough IMHO). Looking at posts from big blue It's really light all over this season!

Fall 2013 is going to be an extremely light season.  Good news is that 2014 has a couple of big seasons coming down the pike. As far as DZ showing 4 outages for RP, that is a bit misleading considering they only have 2 1/2 - they no longer have any piece of North Anna RP and split the contract w/BNI at Hope Creek, that leaves them with Just Beaver Valley & Palisades for full outages.   

Marla

« Reply #165 on: Jun 11, 2013, 10:44 »
While Mr. Bartlett may be trying to drum up business, his information is misleading.  Day and Zimmermann(formerly known as DZ Atlantic) still has all four outages listed on the wish list.  Granted, North Anna is a back up contract.  If you are searching for our wish list, or a way to update your resume, you can visit www.dzrptech.com to do so.  There should be no security issues.  IF a security box pops up, you can still proceed to the site.    There is a security question to answer before the wishlist can be submitted, dont forget to answer the math problem!! 

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
« Reply #166 on: Jun 11, 2013, 10:54 »
While Mr. Bartlett may be trying to drum up business, his information is misleading.  Day and Zimmermann(formerly known as DZ Atlantic) still has all four outages listed on the wish list.  Granted, North Anna is a back up contract.  If you are searching for our wish list, or a way to update your resume, you can visit www.dzrptech.com to do so.  There should be no security issues.  IF a security box pops up, you can still proceed to the site.    There is a security question to answer before the wishlist can be submitted, dont forget to answer the math problem!! 

Oh Marla - I don't need to drum up business or mislead the RP work force, where as DZ with only 2 primary RP staffings and a split contract just might have to, hence the misleading wish list stating DZ has SHP slots at North Anna - you say it's because of a back-up contract, well if I put all of BNI's back up contracts on BNI's wish list I'd be listing all of DZ's sites...now that would be misleading.   

Y'all have a nice day :)

Offline MidnightMeterMan

• Light User
« Reply #167 on: Jun 11, 2013, 11:13 »
Oh Marla - I don't need to drum up business or mislead the RP work force, where as DZ with only 2 primary RP staffings and a split contract just might have to, hence the misleading wish list stating DZ has SHP slots at North Anna - you say it's because of a back-up contract, well if I put all of BNI's back up contracts on BNI's wish list I'd be listing all of DZ's sites...now that would be misleading.   

Y'all have a nice day :)

CLASSIC!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?