Atlantic Group

Above Average
32 (34.4%)
Average
29 (31.2%)
Below Average
32 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: DZ Atlantic Group  (Read 233208 times)

skip149

D Z Atlantic
« Reply #100 on: Mar 24, 2008, 01:02 »
well i guess im confused!  im working the cooper outage for alantic and im not real happy with what im hearing or seeing, several people came out here and were told that they would not be paid untill they got there badges! as we all know for a new commer this could take up to two weeks, no one was told of this and thew feeling is they with held this info to get people out here, i drove 1400 miles to get here and if i knew this i would have not come to this job, ive never worked for atlantic and im not real inpressed, anyways i feel that this sort of info needs to be dissclosed tp a worker before you have them travel half way accross the country!!!  What do you think?

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
Re: D Z Atlantic
« Reply #101 on: Mar 24, 2008, 01:13 »
Doesn't sound like you are confused at all if this is truely the case. Work for no pay? Leave.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #102 on: Mar 24, 2008, 03:00 »
Doesn't sound like you are confused at all if this is truely the case. Work for no pay? Leave.

No diem, no see'um...no checkee, no techee. Your path is clear. ;)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
  • Never Happy Until Happy With Yourself!
« Reply #103 on: Mar 24, 2008, 05:19 »
Sadly, what was Numanco is gone; to never be seen again.

I guess DIZZY (DZ) has decided to start do some of the things that made others, the GIANT of Nuclear Power Health Physics Services.

At least they told you "no check for 2 weeks". Last Fall, they just gave us checks we counldnt cash, because they would not and then couldnt get us a bank to cash our checks, why would we need to cash our checks? But they kept that "Direct Deposit" carrot out there, when that turned into complete incopentence for 8 weeks, espically after "The Cooker" made it happen in 1 week at HC.

So I feel your pain, I fear this is only the beginning, but not the future we hoped for as an alternative for a better Nuclear Life. 8)
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008, 01:07 by Dream Tarheel »
I NEVER KNEW LOVE, I JUST KNOW THE SOUND IT MAKES WHEN IT LIES!

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #104 on: Mar 24, 2008, 07:27 »
Did you sign that confirmation letter they shoved in your face on opening day?  The one that states you are not considered an employee until you meet all the prerequisites, including:  Pass all site specific training, satisfactory background screening and so on?  If you did and you haven't, then an employer/employee relationship has not yet been established, (you’re more, or less, on vacation)!  One positive note, since you’re not actually considered an employee, packing the bags for a new destination shouldn't hurt anybodies feelings!  They hate it when you toss that one back at them!

BUT............... 

On the other hand, if they mandate a schedule of where you have to be and when, with any implied, suggest, or drafted jeopardy attached, for failing to comply with their request, their letter is WORTHLESS!  Sorry, an employer can not establish an employment venue by baiting an individual to an opportunity, and then conveniently configure the acceptance criteria at the expense of the employee!  That sounds like the old company store policies of the early 1900's converted to contemporary times! 

If a company representative notifies me that I'm not being compensated for my time, services, or expenses for whatever reason, that's actually an official notification of a lay off and out processing commences!

What do I think?  I don't know exactly what I would be thinking in this position, but I know I wouldn't be thinking about it in NEBRASKA!  Not that I would be so bold, but the Site VP would be my first choice for voicing the situation, (If you know your Going, Go Big), followed by their Employee Concern Program!  Not that they would necessarily do anything, but the record would be established.  Although the utility may dismiss any responsibility in the event, they facilitated it by allowing Atlantic to institute it!  Sorry, if you know about it and ignore it, you’re responsible! 

Seems kind of strange for this event to pop up at this time of the season, considering it would probably take about 1 E -10 seconds to acquire a new J...O...B!  Big Blue's Recruiting office is probably in a Feeding Frenzy!  Jerry is probably already on the plane taking advantage of that time zone difference!  I'm sure they would be more than willing to put the entire Atlantic staff to work.......................ju st a guess!

What the Hecks that Number again...........RG.. 8)

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #105 on: Mar 24, 2008, 07:41 »
what is your craft? 
It is what it is!

vikingfan

« Reply #106 on: Mar 24, 2008, 09:16 »
if you don't or can't pass in processing you don't get paid !! this is not an uncommon practice in todays world of nukes regardless if you travel 30 miles or 3000 you need to be prepared to pass the tests which are relatively easy.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: DZ Atlantic Group
« Reply #107 on: Mar 24, 2008, 07:00 »
well i guess im confused!  im working the cooper outage for alantic and im not real happy with what im hearing or seeing, several people came out here and were told that they would not be paid untill they got there badges! as we all know for a new commer this could take up to two weeks, no one was told of this and thew feeling is they with held this info to get people out here, i drove 1400 miles to get here and if i knew this i would have not come to this job, ive never worked for atlantic and im not real inpressed, anyways i feel that this sort of info needs to be dissclosed tp a worker before you have them travel half way accross the country!!!  What do you think?

It depends on what you mean by 'not be paid until they get their badges.' Does that mean that the pay you have earned is withheld until you get a badge? Or does it mean you don't start earning money until you have a badge? Different scenarios.

If they do not give you a check for the money earned during training until you get a badge, that should not be a huge issue since the pay usually lags by enough that you should have your badge before the pay would arrive anyway... or shortly thereafter. If they are asking you to work without being paid for the time you are in training and only start getting paid for the time you work after you are badged, I say run away as fast as you can. There is a huge shortage of techs (I think most of the current outages are short-staffed right now) and a new job should be easy to get. Personally I would hate to 'eat' the travel costs, but I would hate to not get paid for working even more. I would go and call it an expensive lesson learned.

This is all predicated on you not agreeing to this scenario in the first place. If your employment package (assuming you got one) states you don't get paid until badged and you agreed to come to work there anyway (or chose not to read the agreement before going) then you should honor your commitment and suck it up... and not work for them again if you find the situation unacceptable.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Fermione

Re: Atlantic Group
« Reply #108 on: Mar 25, 2008, 11:31 »
Numanco never paid holidays either... But Bartlett usually does.

So, does Atlantic group still look better to people?

Heck Mike,
I remember when Numanco paid hoildays.  Heck I used to get Victory over Japan Day! 
Heck, that was a long, long, long, time ago.
Cabo

LaFeet

« Reply #109 on: Apr 10, 2008, 09:55 »
I recall being paid holidays while working for Atlantic during the past fall.  As for all the troubles others are having, I have been fortunate to have been treated well by DZ-A....they have kept all obligations that they have made, either in writing or verbal.  I cant say them same about all the other companies I have worked for.

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #110 on: Apr 10, 2008, 05:17 »
My husband did almost 6 months with Atlantic and didn't receive pay for any of the 4 holidays he was there for.   

I thought it was across the board that they didn't pay holidays for anyone...

hmmmm.....

LaFeet

« Reply #111 on: Apr 10, 2008, 06:55 »
Sorry to hear that Miss HPGal... it may be that the contract that I received holiday pay were written that way....

moochiebubble

« Reply #112 on: Jun 30, 2008, 11:45 »
Atlantic has been good to me and did not shaft me out of 18.1 with the " you haven't held a meter for this whole month " routine. Be straight with them and they will be straight with you or perhaps I'm naive. moochiebubble

stucker

« Reply #113 on: Aug 26, 2008, 06:34 »
These are MY experiences and opinions, I don't intend to offend...

I'm very new at this nuke thing but if DZ will teach you anything it's how to be treated like someone who doesn't matter and as if you should like it. They don't listen to complaints and would prefer for you to never ask questions. Don't dare bring up a safety concern. If you're being treated unfairly by a supervisor, keep it to yourself.

On my first day of work at my first outage I was offended by a sexist comment a safety guy (who turned out to be a very nice guy..) made about how hard I was going to work compared to men who were doing the same job.

At this same outage the project manager bashed on Bartlett for 'hiring people who weren't qualified for the job just to fill positions'. Sadly, he must have been speaking from the heart of his beloved company because I saw this with hundreds of people at my next outage (supervisors included)...

They tell you that if you're too tired, call someone and let them know and you can come in late or skip the night or 'they'll work with you, because safety is the most important thing'. I called and voiced that I had a busy day (which included a speeding ticket and a frozen bank account) and would it be okay if I came in a little later.. Things seemed fine, until I got there, I was laid off that night 2 hours after I got there.

The next day I woke up to the DZ recruiter (Whom you all know) calling me to tell me they didn't have a job for me at the next outage that I was already confirmed (for over a month) for. My boyfriend who got laid off with me was still confirmed...

I called the on-site lady to see what she could do and there was a position available. I started work and was treated like...poo by my supervisor and every other person who was of a higher rank than myself. Yelled at by a LEAD in the middle of HP for having an 'attitude' when all I did is mention the messiness of the clean change bathroom.

They took $500+ from my first paycheck at the second outage for per diem from the first outage (Which was my HOME PLANT. i.e. local per diem).

Even though I've had lots of problems with them, if you asked my boyfriend how he feels about DZ, he'll give you a completely different answer. -shrug- To each his own.

-ST

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #114 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:08 »
Sorry to hear your bad experience.  But I hate to tell you that it can happen with the other companies too.  (Had it happen once with Bartlett).  I think it comes down to the individual plant personnel and the coordinator for that plant.  Always comes down to people and how an individual treats others. And from experience, about 23 years in the biz, it doesn't get any easier.  All depends on how you approach things.
It is what it is!

justatech

« Reply #115 on: Aug 27, 2008, 04:42 »
Red Hacker - What is your problem.............That is about the nastiest reply I have seen for a newcomer. Weren't you on the Women for Nuclear board questioning why more women do not post - how to recruit more women to the board? Take it easy on Stucker - she is allowed her opinion whether you agree with it or not.

Stucker - on behalf of Nukeworker I apologize - believe it or not we are here to help all new people to the business. Yes, some of us have had a bad outage or two. I wanted to walk away after my first outage - my second outage I stayed and have had no regrets since. It could be the site - I know the first site I went to and disliked immensely Bartlett had to promise the world before Techs would return.

You're young and new to the business - it is very different from - judging from your age - from high school till now - let's say a fast food place, waitress work, clerical or sales work. The man who stated that you would work harder than the men was being truthful in a sense, this is a male dominated industry. If there is 50 men on a work crew and 10 are slackers - they won't be noticed but let there be one woman on the crew and all women are slackers. It is unfortunate but it is viewed that way until you get your credentials, work hard, ask questions and stay focused on your career path in nuclear - if you choose to stay. It can be very rewarding in the long run - don't let a few bad apples ruin your day or your choice of a new career.

I suggest going to a few more outages - sites are different. If you are training to be a Tech, call Bartlett. I have found that Bartlett's people are more family oriented and work well with one another, the majority will go out of their way to train you and explain how to go about doing business at each site.

Eric Bartlett's number is 800-225-0385 - call - talk to a recruiter - send in your resume. If you would like additional information you can email me here - I'll take the time to explain things in detail if you do not want to post again.
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2008, 06:39 by justatech »

stucker

« Reply #116 on: Oct 28, 2008, 04:56 »
Wow, I guess redhacker got pretty rude, eh? Even the moderator messaged me about it. Along the lines of 'very rude and vulgar' Lol.

Thanks for the back up justatech. And the number. I'm not giving up, I'm at Palo Verde right now and everything here seems fine.

Kind of makes me wonder what was said, perhaps I could be told in a message this time so I can defend myself?   :P

-ST
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2008, 05:02 by stucker »

MR BIG

« Reply #117 on: Oct 29, 2008, 11:57 »
I suggest going to a few more outages - sites are different. If you are training to be a Tech, call Bartlett. I have found that Bartlett's people are more family oriented and work well with one another, the majority will go out of their way to train you and explain how to go about doing business at each site.

Are you serious? More friendly? You better talk to people that have been in this business more than 3 years. Unless there has been a miracle, the people yeah. The company? Be afraid be very afraid.
Just some advice from someone who has been in the business for 30 yrs.

justatech

« Reply #118 on: Oct 30, 2008, 12:15 »
Are you serious? More friendly? You better talk to people that have been in this business more than 3 years. Unless there has been a miracle, the people yeah. The company? Be afraid be very afraid.
Just some advice from someone who has been in the business for 30 yrs.

I should have stated specifically the majority of the techs that travel the road are family oriented and are very helpful training the new ones. As for the company, I have never had a problem with Bartlett's office staff, they were always professional and i got to go to the outages I wanted to. Sorry your experience has been less than favorable.

justatech

« Reply #119 on: Oct 30, 2008, 12:21 »
Wow, I guess redhacker got pretty rude, eh? Even the moderator messaged me about it. Along the lines of 'very rude and vulgar' Lol.
Thanks for the back up justatech. And the number. I'm not giving up, I'm at Palo Verde right now and everything here seems fine.
Kind of makes me wonder what was said, perhaps I could be told in a message this time so I can defend myself?   :P
-ST

The moderator was right along with several others on that night that reported the posting, it was very rude and offensive. But with that being said, I'm glad you're hanging in there - Palo Verde is a very nice site, you should have an enjoyable outage. A couple more outages under your belt and you'll feel more comfortable going to different plants........

urbo

« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2010, 10:30 »
DZ Atlantic is very tricky, They change rules in the middle of the game. below normal per Diem  and trying to cut it out all together. very greedy and shady. Need union to fix there tyrant ways.

LaFeet

« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2010, 12:32 »
DZ Atlantic is very tricky, They change rules in the middle of the game. below normal per Diem  and trying to cut it out all together. very greedy and shady. Need union to fix there tyrant ways.

Personally I have never had a problem with DZ.  I have had a problem with Bartlett and have made a mistake while working for them.  Either way the best  approach is to look out for yourself and do the very best job that you can.  Prove your worth and they will not only call you back, they will take better care of you too.

Good luck to all this outage season, it looks to be a hectic one - Pablo

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
Re: Day & Zimmermann
« Reply #122 on: Sep 03, 2010, 07:56 »
Last time I worked for them they didn't believe in paying for holidays.  (Hmmm,  :-\ I wonder if they still billed the utility for them though.)

They also told me once that my rate of pay was such that my overtime was to be paid as straight time.  I countered with their initial verbal offer, and the acceptance agreement form I had signed, stated time and a half for overtime.  When we looked it up I was right so they told me that was obviously a mistake and I was to be paid straight time for all hours worked.  I said it might be a mistake, but I didn't make it and expected them to keep their end of the agreement.  After a lot of other back and forth discussions they finally agreed that that's what they would pay.

Would I work for them again?  Sure.  They were up front with the no holiday pay so as long as it's identified and agreed upon in the beginning I have no problems with it.  Just make sure they don't try and change horses on you downstream.
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2010, 08:14 by walstib »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: Day & Zimmermann
« Reply #123 on: Sep 03, 2010, 11:12 »
If you are a working long term for DZ Atlantic as RP, Decon or Alara, please send me a personal message.

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #124 on: Sep 03, 2010, 11:14 »
If you are a working long term for DZ Atlantic as RP, Decon or Alara, please send me a personal message.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?