Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Streamlining the refuel floor. honeypot

Author Topic: Streamlining the refuel floor.  (Read 9659 times)

bhatton

Streamlining the refuel floor.
« on: Aug 26, 2003, 11:38 »
We are in the process of updating and making the refuel floor here at Brunswick more user friendly and "tidy". If anyone has been to or has an idea of how to handle the storing of all the tools, rigging, misc. equipment, computer stations, and controll points, please let me know. Which utility has the best refuel floor setup in the business?

duke99301

Re: Streamlining the refuel floor.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2003, 12:09 »
the best would depend on whom you talk to. ;D
as for what I have seen humm. most of them are pretty good and the worst is the ones I do not go back to, as with that good luck :-*

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2003, 12:33 »
go ask jjordan.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

bigstew

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2003, 01:08 »
There are CAD programs to help you manage lay down area. If you don't spring for that then it has  been accomplished with mechanical drawings and overlays of reactor disassembly components and the required space. Obviously, ask the people doing the work for suggestions and ask the vendors helping you with your outages for 'best-practices' they've seen. Who is currently running the refuel floor, a vendor or in-house?

The general rule of thumb for control points and equipment is to keep it as portable as possible: it's a lot easier moving a dressout area than herculite covered components. And make sure you bounce it off the outage schedule and conduct a couple of table-top walkthroughs with the major players involved. The floor is usually critical path and a snafu over space at a critical juncture makes everyone look foolish and will get you a quick audience with the outage manager. Spend the time up front talking and walking through it. And make sure and include those rascally RP's since they're a pretty observant bunch.  Good luck. ;D

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2003, 01:29 »
I would check with similar plants. Some may have huge floors and some tiny. Each is custom made to fit their design. Hope Creek had a seavan on the floor for tools and a clear plastic tent made for the control point with many cameras and electronic dosimetry. 856-339-3741 and talk to some of the techs and supervisors. Ed Gee, Steve Spiese, Tom Wallender all come to mind.      
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2003, 06:29 »
From a mechanical standpoint, Duane Arnold has a great set-up.

From a Health Physics standpoint, I REALLY like Columbia...they have a "Kelly Building" on the refuel floor at the top of the elevator.  This is a clean area where the work groups can meet with the Refuel Floor Coordinator & HP lead tech and get their briefings/sign in on RWPs before dressing out.  Since it's on the floor, the job coverage tech can get involved in the brief (from the CA side) and any later questions from the work group &/or HP tech can be resolved without anyone undressing & leaving CA.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

moke

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2003, 01:45 »
Hi Bhatton,

You "hit the nail on the head" when you state the word tidy! Tidy means that you can locate HP "Stuff" readily and especially during tight situations. Tidy also means that the working groups have order to their equipment storage madness and they too are able to locate tooling quickly.

Continuity between shifts must be understood since it has major impact. A clean as you go mentality promotes effectiveness and a plesant work place.

An important feature is to maintain loose contamination to "clean status" so that you may detect the slightest upward trends to warn of inconsistencies.

It's also important to have most items/tools/equipment at your fingertips so that you may perform more than one function simultaneously.

In the past, at SONGS, we maintained one of the best refueling deck operations I have ever been a part of. It's a rare occurence and something many have not experienced and/or don't see the advantage of maintaining and clean, neat, and organized work station.

Attitude, Housekeeping, Organization and Communication!

I liked the idea of having a "Car Wash" (plexi-glass equipment decontamination booth) to spray (water) clean equipment leaving the cavity when flooded. This helped to keep equipment from piling up in bags/herculite and preventing fustration when locating tools/equipment.

Management at SONGS understood (Ken Darcy, 1987) the product of a well maintained work station and I would contact someone there to obtain input. They were a pioneer of many enhancement tools such as the automated access control system for controlled area access and much input into NCRP 106; hot particle control, when most were operating like cavemen/women.

It's nice that your management allows such a thing! Amen.

Have a Great Week! ;D

Moke  

bhatton

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2003, 07:48 »
Thank you to everyone for their input. I will check out the leads that you guys have given me. One said that Fermi had a nice setup also. I still would appreciate any more input in this!!
Again, Thanks
Bhatton

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2003, 10:13 »

jjordan did fermi too, in addition to a mulitude of others.  'n he's on yer site.  
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?