Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What is a Permanent Record Dosimeter? honeypot

Author Topic: What is a Permanent Record Dosimeter?  (Read 7574 times)

Offline Meltdown

• Moderate User
  • Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?             $upporting Member
What is a Permanent Record Dosimeter?
« on: Aug 23, 2003, 05:27 »
At a tabletop exercise for a nuke plant drill last week the guy from the State passed out PRD's. He swore they weren't TLD's, but he couldn't tell me anything about how they worked. Has anybody heard of these?

I'll try to get a manufacturer's name.
Meltdown

"I know that there is an eye that watches all of us. There is a judgment that weighs everything we do. And before this great force, which is greater than any government, I stand in awe and I kneel in respect." L. Cohen

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: What is a Permanent Record Dosimeter?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2003, 07:39 »
At a tabletop exercise for a nuke plant drill last week the guy from the State passed out PRD's. He swore they weren't TLD's, but he couldn't tell me anything about how they worked. Has anybody heard of these?

PRD is a NASA acronym for "Personal Radiation Dosimeter".  The PRD provided visual read-out of accumulated radiation dose to each crewman as the mission progressed. The PRD was approximately the size of a cigarette pack, and pockets were provided in the flight coveralls, as well as in the spacesuit, for carrying the PRD. The PRD sensor was a 7.1 cc tissue equivalent ion chamber, with a range of 0 to 1000 rads in 0.01 rad increments, and it weighed 0.4 lbs. The operational life of the PRD was 2000 hours.

NASA’s PRD is an electronic dosimeter, so it is not the “PRD” your friend is refereeing to.  “PRD” can be anything, another source uses that term for ‘passive radiation dosimeter’.  So the “PRD” label really doesn’t mean anything.  It’s just the states acronym for the permanent record.

The ‘permanent’ part of your “PRD” is the key.  TLDs, OSLDs, and the old style film badges are all examples of permanent records.  Electronic dosimeters have not yet been approved as a replacement to the permanent record criteria.

Your PRD is probably an OSLD. (Seeing as he claimed they were not TLD's)  OSLD's are hexagonal, there are pictures in the article linked to below. I think Luxel is the only maker of the OSLDs.

Check out my article entitled:
“Everything you ever wanted to know about Thermoluminescent Dosimeters (TLDs) but were afraid to ask...”  It tells you about TLDs, OSLDs, the different types, what they are made of, etc.

http://www.nukeworker.com/study/hp/deleted/fundamentals/tlds/tlds.htm

Offline Meltdown

• Moderate User
  • Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?             $upporting Member
Re: What is a Permanent Record Dosimeter?
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2003, 05:46 »
They were Landauer OSLD's - thanks. I'd never seen one before.
Meltdown

"I know that there is an eye that watches all of us. There is a judgment that weighs everything we do. And before this great force, which is greater than any government, I stand in awe and I kneel in respect." L. Cohen

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?