Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu BWR Orientation (North)

Poll

Which way (in degrees) is North on the primary containment for your most recent BWR?

0 (or 360)
5 (38.5%)
2 (15.4%)
Seen both
1 (7.7%)
Other (!!??)
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: BWR Orientation (North)  (Read 11712 times)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
BWR Orientation (North)
« on: Oct 02, 2004, 05:21 »
Most people would hesitate before asking a stupid question, but I am ready to step right up. As we say here, there are no stupid questions, but there are plenty of inquisitive idiots!  ;)

Every place I have seen other than here, it has always been 0 (and 360). Some people tell me Browns Ferry is 180 degrees out of the rest of the world, but others tell me it is all GE / BWR.  ;D

And please, definitely explain "other" if you vote that way!!
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2004, 02:54 by Roll Tide »
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: BWR Orientation (North)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2004, 02:53 »
25 views and no votes besides mine???

I guess there really are some stupid questions!

(Of course, if no one else can understand why North would EVER be 180 degrees, my conclusion regarding BFN being 180 out from the rest of the world is proven!)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2004, 08:10 »
I don't think "North" is ever aligned with the actual Cardinal Direction, either magnetic or geographic.  Pilgrim's "plant north" is almost due east by the compass.  I also don't think this is unique to BWR's.  I think I remember working a two-unit PWR with mirror image containments where "North" was in the middle.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

halflifer

« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2004, 02:08 »
it's been a while, but as recall, 0/360 is where the MS/FW lines enter (or leave) the drywell and isn't supposed to indicate North, people just started calling it that.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2004, 03:33 »
Does anyone know why there is such a thing as "plant north"?  I've always wondered, but could never stay focussed long enough to ask :)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2004, 04:23 »
"Plant North" is just a way of keeping the orientation of things in perspective.  People in different buildings or elevations can coordinate things as long as they work from the same reference.  As has been posted before, it has nothing to do with actual direction.  Two plants built from the same exact design will have the same "North", but they will probably face different directions.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

jjordan

« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2004, 05:57 »
I work in a 2 unit BWR and will have to get out the maps to check to see in degrees. Both units are oriented the same direction, not mirror images. Now if it was a PWR it would be really easy cause everyone knows that boron grows on the north side of the valve! 8)
JJ

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2004, 06:20 »
"Plant North" is just a way of keeping the orientation of things in perspective.  People in different buildings or elevations can coordinate things as long as they work from the same reference.  As has been posted before, it has nothing to do with actual direction.  Two plants built from the same exact design will have the same "North", but they will probably face different directions.

Kinda like the SNUPPS that did get built.  Plant North is the same at both but only one actually faces north with its north. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2004, 07:15 »
Now if it was a PWR it would be really easy cause everyone knows that boron grows on the north side of the valve! 8)
JJ

:)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

rlbinc

« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2007, 07:32 »
It varies from site to site. Clinton faced Northeast, the prints called it Plant North. Look at most sites from Google Map, and you'll see very few are North / South aligned. Since I came from the Navy, I was used to Forward and Aft, no matter which way it pointed.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2007, 09:45 »
By GE Nomenclature the Plant North is as AZ 0 where the Steam Lines penetrate the Drywell.. At Fermi it was East.

Mike

vikingfan

« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2007, 09:47 »
this depends upon the plant for instance at vermont yankee North is at 270 degrees. not really sure why plant az O is facing east....lol?
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2007, 08:30 by vikingfan »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?