Career Path > Getting in

ANSI STANDARDS - Did they Change?

(1/7) > >>

RAD-GHOST:
I use to think I kept up with the Industry, but lately I believe I'm falling behind.  Who the Heck changed the ANSI standards, 18.1 and 3.1?

When did the standards require anything other then time as a requirement?

18.1 = 4000 hours

3.1 = 6000 hours

I need a little help from the board, if an individual hits the 4000 hour mark, are they a qualified 18.1 tech?

Same with the 3.1, after 6000 hours, are they 3.1 qualified?

How about if they pass the NEU test, does that make them qualified?

Inquiring minds want to know? 

Already Gone:
It's a little more complicated than that, compounded by the fact that they are vague, outdated, and non-specific.

The hours only count up to 50 in any week.  So, if a resume says that Ricky Juniortech worked a 21 day outage, he cannot possibly take credit for more than 150 hours.  (Well, maybe a few more depending on what day of the week the job starts and ends, but either way he can't count all hours worked.)  Training hours don't count, but some training programs and degrees can be substituted for part of the hours.

There are ways other than hours that are acceptable.

The standarda also have some requirements about time on site and stuff like that.

What I suspect you are encountering is not a change in the standards, but rather a change in ways of interpreting them.  Some plants actually have a written procedure for determining the ANSI qualifications of individual techs, while others just accept the word of your employer.  And you can never forget the girlfriend factor.

makua13:
It is vague nowadays, and not as meaningful.  There used to be hours at a plant required, etc.  Now if you "have displayed proficiency" as an HP (as judged by whom?) you can be a Sr 3.1 if there are job openings and not enough Techs.  This is how DOE people with no experience are walking into Power Plants as SR. HPs.  Scary isn't it?

Already Gone:
I need to clear up something that I posted earlier that seems really sexist.

By "the girlfriend factor" I was not implying that women are deemed to be qualified by being someone's girlfriend.  The "factor" was a joke about deciding which techs to keep based on how attractive their girlfriends were.  If you had a gorgeous girlfriend, you were laid-off last.

So,rather than implying that the women techs are unqualified, and getting their jobs "the old fashioned way", the girlfriend factor actually implies that it is the GUYS who are less qualified than they would seem to be, and they only have their jobs because of the women.

Of course, it was not always a joke.  I remember a lot of mediocre or lazy HP's who benefitted from the fact that they came attached to some really great women.

RAD-GHOST:
BC,

That's Funny!  What does the, " Old Fashion Way", mean?

Out of the pan, into the fire!   :-X

RG

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version