Career Path > Getting in

ANSI STANDARDS - Did they Change?

<< < (3/7) > >>

halflifer:
The "ANSI Standards" are a bit like "The Pirate's Code"......"they're more like guidelines" and will almost always be interpreted in the manner most beneficial to whoever is in charge (usually the Utility or Primary Contractor). Staffing companies (such as Bartlett) have almost no say in this. They may plead your case, but unless it's a case of 'no one else is available' they aren't likely to prevail.
Don't forget the key words and tricky phrases when you prepare your resume. A deconner who checks wipes and smears with an RM-14 "performs sampling, monitoring and surveillance to identify, quantify and assess the presence of Radioactive Material and associated hazards."
And don't overlook the 'babe factor'....it is alive and well on both sides of the gender line.

HPKC:
Just talked to Bartlett again to see how much time they're going to give me towards 18.1.  They say they don't go by hours, but by months instead.  Sure would like to see their formula.  I'm all ready losing lots of hours by only calculating 50 hours per week instead of what I've actually worked.

Would someone tell me where I can go to find the ANSI standards for 18.1 and 3.1 techs spelled out?  I've been to ANS, ANSI and NRC's web sites and conducted a search, but what I want doesn't come up.

Eric_Bartlett:

--- Quote from: HPKC on Dec 02, 2004, 01:34 ---Here's my experience with ANSI standards.

I have an A.S. degree in Radiation Protection and 538 days/76 weeks & 6 days (however you'd like to count it) in plant RP/HP experience.  If I'm only allowed 50 hours per week, I've accumulated 3,800 hours thus far with only 200 hours, or 4 weeks, left before I qualify as an 18.1 senior.

I just asked Bartlett to send me on the next job as an 18.1 senior.  I was told they can't do that.  If the plant wants to sign me off as an 18.1 they can, but Bartlett can't submit me as one until I have fully met the qualifications. I was also told I don't get credit for my degree until I meet the "time in plant" for 18.1

As for Palo Verde I've been told that once I complete three years experience (they'll give me 50 weeks for my degree), I qualify to be a 3.1 senior there.  The way this was told to me, and the way I'm interrupting this, I only have to finish up 4 more weeks of time before I qualify as an 18.1 and 3.1 senior (50 weeks for the degree gives me another 2,500 hours putting me above the 6,000 needed for 3.1 senior).

Would any Bartlett recruiters like to chime in on this?

--- End quote ---

I'll chime in on this -as I e-mailed you earlier an ANSI 18.1 SHP calls for 2 years HP related experience -   2 years can actually be broken down a couple of different ways.  The industry/Bartlett standard is to break it down by calendar months – basically 24 months in-plant time = 2 years experience.  Some other vendors and a small handful of plants will break it down by hours – the formula for this is 20 months x 4 weeks/month = 80 weeks x 50 hrs/wk = 4,000 hrs, thus making someone with 20 mo’s HP an 18.1 SHP.  Bartlett has to of course hold to a tighter standard than the "hour"formula due to that all of our resumes and quals are of course subject to audit.  Now with that in mind, if a client wants to make an individual an 18.1 based upon hours instead of calendar months, we have no problem with that a long as that client is willing to sign off on it.  As far as the Degree goes most utilities will give 12 mo's credit for an AS or higher degree in Radiation Protection, this however will not kick you to 18.1 status when you've achieved 12 mo's experience - it will however kick you to 3.1 status (in most cases at most sites) once you've reached 24 mo's in-plant HP experience.  Now on top of all that there additional exception to these "rules".  These exceptions basically vary from plant to plant depending on the individual plant's qualification criteria/program.   Hope this helped.

Eric

mattrev:

--- Quote from: HPKC on Dec 02, 2004, 12:18 ---Just talked to Bartlett again to see how much time they're going to give me towards 18.1.  They say they don't go by hours, but by months instead.  Sure would like to see their formula.  I'm all ready losing lots of hours by only calculating 50 hours per week instead of what I've actually worked.

Would someone tell me where I can go to find the ANSI standards for 18.1 and 3.1 techs spelled out?  I've been to ANS, ANSI and NRC's web sites and conducted a search, but what I want doesn't come up.

--- End quote ---

Here is a link to a paper on nukeworker talking about it and it has some links imbedded in it....

http://www.nukeworker.com/other/articles/have_enough_time.shtml

RP Instructor:
ANSI 3.1 "Selection and Qualification of Nuclear Power Plant Personnel" replaced ANSI N18.1 (of the same title), and according to the American Nuclear Society website, was re-issued in 1993 and then revised again in 1999. I too have failed at finding a copy without having to pay for it!
Nevertheless, I believe Mr. Eric Bartlett is correct. The expectation is that the two years of working experience be computed based upon the equivalent of having worked 40 hours per week, 50 weeks per year. Years past, folks got their two years of experience working 12 hours a day, 7-days per week, in a liitle over one year. Sadly, a number of those folks gained "their experience" by sitting hatch watch or playing cards in the break room.
The regulators have put an end to that, for the most part. Utilities are now more vigilant at reviewing resumes, and although your resume may state you're an ANSI 3.1 tech, you may not be hired on in that capacity.
We've touched on this topic before. Utilties, with the encouragement of the Nuclear Eenrgy Institute and other regulators, are moving towards a universal task qualification system, whereby your individual qualifications will be entered into the "Personnel Acccess Database" (PADS) by the utility as you qualify to the tasks, and will then be  accessible by all utiltiies. The expectation will be that you meet specific qualifications in order to be classified as a senior health physics technician, regardless of time or what your resume says. The industry is moving towards verifiable proof of a trained and qualified HP workforce.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version