Career Path > Getting in

ANSI STANDARDS - Did they Change?

<< < (5/7) > >>


--- Quote from: HiCountry on Dec 03, 2004, 06:24 ---Specifically mentioning Vendor Techs:

--- End quote ---
HiCountry ~ Thanks.  Good information.

"For contractor HP Techs, 2,000 or more working hours in a period of not less than 40 weeks is acceptable as representing one year of experience."  I like that.

Sorry Eric although I thank you and appreciate your offer in helping me reach my goal.

A big concern I have with some of the plants I've worked is with the lack of opportunites they're giving Jr. RP/HP Techs.  The standards say two years experience is required for a Jr. to become an 18.1.  If the plant is scared to let a Jr. tag along with the seniors and learn, or just doesn't give them the opportunity, what good is the Jr. going to be when it's time for them to become a senior?  Somewhere, sometime they will become a senior when the plant is in a crunch for techs. These plants are going to have seniors in containment who have no clue what they're doing (I still have an awful lot to learn).  I've had upper management agree with me on this topic, but they don't seem to be willing to change the opportunity factor.

How about an ANSI standard that says a certain amount of hours should be given to a Jr. to tag along with seniors and/or perform certain senior tasks under the guidance of a senior.  It would help.

Like Surveyors_mato, I'm blessed with common sense, a questioning attitude, and try to learn all I can so I am proficient in my job.

Common sense? Questioning attitude? Yer doomed man. See if you can get a job selling vacuum cleaners because you'll soon be blackballed from every site in the country (Commercial AND DOE).
Seriously....I don't think the 'plants' are afraid to have you tagging along, but since the beancounters assumed full control, the plants have had to cut back on staffing an you aren't being paid to 'tag along.' In their minds, the have a specific job for you, and every minute you spend not doing that job is wasted money.
If you're up for it, you might see if you can 'tag along' during you break times. They ought to be more receptive to that.

Roll Tide:

--- Quote from: jowlman on Dec 03, 2004, 01:09 ---The best place to find the actual ANSI standard is your local unemployment office. They're the ones that have to look up job desciptions when you go to file your claim.

--- End quote ---

Excellent suggestion! Just remember that some plants use different versions (years) of the ANSI standard as a licensing basis, and some never update it!

well I didnt read all the reply's but hear is one that will bake your noodle.

There are a lot of people thinking that there going to get a bunch of time spent at a DOE facility for HP work , going  twards being a 3.1 . If Im not mistaken I think there is a big difference between the two and I dont think they give you all that much time for it because of the differences.
 the other side is what I read a few posts ago , that in DOE world if you pass the CORE test then your an RCT. do they start them out as a jr's like we do and build up there time or is it getting thrown  right to the wolves?

Already Gone:
DOE time basically counts the same as power plant time.  The distinction is not based on where you worked, but what you did.  If you were only required to count air samples as a part of your duties as a chemistry tech, that time wouldn't count at all.  But if you are a chem tech who gets transferred to RP during outages, you can count all of that time.  Likewise, if you worked in an Anti-C laundering facility and spent most of your time sorting, washing and folding, and some of your time doing routine surveys of the facility - then only the time doing surveys counts. 
You don't have to keep a log or anything.  Just figure what percentage of your time is devoted toward Health Physics and use that to determine the total time.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version