Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Hartsville (TN) honeypot

Author Topic: Hartsville (TN)  (Read 40368 times)

michaelcook

Hartsville (TN)
« on: Jul 05, 2011, 08:27 »
Continuing my project looking at cancelled reactor complexes, I recently made a first visit to a couple of TVA sites. Here are a few frames from the four cancelled units at Hartsville, TN.

Parts of the Hartsville "A" Complex, from a middle deck of a turbine/control building.

Footings for one of the B unit reactor cores.

Inside the containment for one of the A reactors.

What I took to be a fuel handling building in the A complex, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I'll post more photographs to this thread when I've processed them.

There are three days left to make a pledge at http://www.ulule.com/nuclear-carcasses to support this project, which explores the remaining physical footprints of unfinished reactor projects. In exchange for your support, you can receive one of a selection of prints of the photographs I made at Marble Hill, IN (or if you would prefer one of these Hartsville images, just message me and we can make arrangements).

Donations will fund further work in the Tennessee Valley, as well as at other sites across the U.S. For more discussion about the ideas behind this project, which I have retitled "Temples of the Atom," do check out the previous Marble Hill thread.

michaelcook

Re: Hartsville (TN)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2011, 09:20 »
One more photograph:

michaelcook

« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2011, 08:46 »

Footings for the second Hartsville cooling tower.

Inside containment for the other "A" complex core.

And there it is.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2011, 08:46 by Michael Cook »

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2011, 08:56 »
Must have been a BWR 6.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2011, 09:00 »
Hey thanks for the pics and the reminder to donate! Sent a little help your way!

Justin

PS I can't believe that is a vessel sitting in the middle of the last pic. Good stuff! I might have to go take this tour one day myself!
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2011, 09:04 »
He is 19 bucks away from goals fellas. Someone caught up a 20. ;D

If you don't get there in the next day, I will finish it off.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2011, 09:10 »
Just out of curiosity did you get TVA permission before you entered their property and took pictures?

michaelcook

« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2011, 10:43 »
The abandoned portion of the Hartsville site can be reached on foot from adjacent land that appears to be unrestricted. The two complexes are well-removed from separately bounded zones that surround TVA's equipment repository and the business park that now occupies a large chunk of the project's former land parcel. Apparently folks have been known to camp out beneath the tower, and there is a permitted deer hunt in the fall.

Because of the condition of the unfinished buildings, I have my doubts that formal permission from TVA could ever be forthcoming, so TheHiggs may have a long wait for the tour. Given the many unprotected fall hazards, I would not recommend attempting to access the abandoned building sites. However, if all someone wanted is that view of the exposed vessel, I think it is reasonably straightforward during business hours to drive up adjacent to the "A" complex via the business park and see the vessel and the tower up close.

I will be working to secure permission to visit and photograph the Satsop WPPSS site in WA, as well as abandoned infrastructure on sites in the Great Lakes-Midwest where projects were converted to thermal. If anyone can suggest a good first point of contact at Duke-Zimmer or at Midland Cogen (or for that matter who to talk with at TVA about visiting Bellefonte, where I understand that they did do a media tour recently), I would appreciate your input.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2011, 12:43 »
I will be working to secure permission to visit and photograph the Satsop WPPSS site in WA...

If you are coming clear out to Washington, you should try to catch WPPSS units 1 & 3 at Richland, too.  Satsop is forested, Richland is desert...you could get two distinctly different 'feels'...

And Trojan might be worth a drive-by...even though it operated.  It still is an example of a 'nuclear carcass' that has been mostly cleaned up...only support buildings & switchyard (and ISFSI) left...

And the drive from Richland to Trojan is incredible...mostly the Columbia Gorge - some of the best scenery in the world.  And take the coastal route from Trojan to Satsop...Astoria...Cape Disappointment...  

...and old-growth forest of Olympic Peninsula...and ferry to Vancouver Island...and kayaks in San Juan Islands...and...
:)
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2011, 01:09 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2011, 01:06 »
Hey looks like you are fully funded! Congrats!

Justin

michaelcook

« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2011, 01:15 »
If you are coming clear out to Washington, you should try to catch WPPSS units 1 & 3 at Richland, too.  Satsop is forested, Richland is desert...you could get two distinctly different 'feels'...

And Trojan might be worth a drive-by...even though it operated.  It still is an example of a 'nuclear carcass' that has been mostly cleaned up...only support buildings & switchyard (and ISFSI) left...
Thank you for the suggestions. With enough planning and the requisite permissions, Richland/Hanford would definitely be on the radar. Among all the other obvious draws, the cooling stations look incredible on the sat image.

...and...
Oh, definitely---I have family in Vancouver and Victoria. Apart from a few particularly dreary modern highways, the wondrous landscapes do not stop from Northern Cal to the North Slope.

Hey looks like you are fully funded! Congrats!
Thank you sir!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2011, 01:21 »
Among all the other obvious draws, the cooling stations look incredible on the sat image.

http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-lastup-0-8295.html#top_display_media

Yeah, I don't have much of a camera, but...someone with a real 'eye' (YOU!) could have fun with them!
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2011, 01:23 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

michaelcook

« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2011, 01:36 »
http://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage-lastup-0-8295.html#top_display_media

Yeah, I don't have much of a camera, but...someone with a real 'eye' (YOU!) could have fun with them!
Well, regardless of the gear being used, those sunsets are lovely. Now I'm going to have to tackle the extra challenge of getting access scheduled for evening light!

Fermi2

« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2011, 05:52 »
The abandoned portion of the Hartsville site can be reached on foot from adjacent land that appears to be unrestricted. The two complexes are well-removed from separately bounded zones that surround TVA's equipment repository and the business park that now occupies a large chunk of the project's former land parcel. Apparently folks have been known to camp out beneath the tower, and there is a permitted deer hunt in the fall.

Because of the condition of the unfinished buildings, I have my doubts that formal permission from TVA could ever be forthcoming, so TheHiggs may have a long wait for the tour. Given the many unprotected fall hazards, I would not recommend attempting to access the abandoned building sites. However, if all someone wanted is that view of the exposed vessel, I think it is reasonably straightforward during business hours to drive up adjacent to the "A" complex via the business park and see the vessel and the tower up close.

I will be working to secure permission to visit and photograph the Satsop WPPSS site in WA, as well as abandoned infrastructure on sites in the Great Lakes-Midwest where projects were converted to thermal. If anyone can suggest a good first point of contact at Duke-Zimmer or at Midland Cogen (or for that matter who to talk with at TVA about visiting Bellefonte, where I understand that they did do a media tour recently), I would appreciate your input.

I work for TVA. It's a federal facility. You needed permission...

michaelcook

« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2011, 09:46 »
As I mentioned, I'd appreciate your suggestion about what office I should be courting to get in to see Bellefonte.

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Jul 07, 2011, 10:24 »
You can't. It's considered to be under evaluation for completion. They won't allow pictures.

michaelcook

« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2011, 10:37 »
Alright, that's regrettable. It would be interesting and worthwhile (and good for TVA prestige) to be able to present some views into a halted site that was about to be restarted and completed.

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Jul 07, 2011, 02:35 »
I'm certain our well paid public relations staff is fully capable of doing that.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Jul 07, 2011, 02:45 »
I'm certain our well paid public relations staff is fully capable of doing that.

Never hurts to ask...maybe you can supply him with one of the PR people's contact info?  Thanks!

I'm enjoying all the pictures.  :)

Fermi2

« Reply #19 on: Jul 07, 2011, 05:15 »
Last time I checked I'm not a telephone directory.

drayer54

« Reply #20 on: Jul 07, 2011, 05:37 »
You can't. It's considered to be under evaluation for completion. They won't allow pictures.
I work for TVA. It's a federal facility. You needed permission...
Always here to lend a helping hand!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Jul 08, 2011, 02:04 »

I apologize.  :(

I tend to assume that everyone here is trying to help each other, esp. with info that is easy from the 'inside' (inter-office directory?), but more difficult from the 'outside'...  I guess I will learn eventually that such isn't always the case... 

:(

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #22 on: Jul 08, 2011, 02:52 »
I contacted a person I know at TVA, and they've confirmed that access is restricted to the site and that he wouldn't be able to get in for pictures.

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #23 on: Jul 08, 2011, 03:26 »
I contacted a person I know at TVA, and they've confirmed that access is restricted to the site and that he wouldn't be able to get in for pictures.

Justin

Like I said Justin. Last time I checked I'm TVA :)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #24 on: Jul 08, 2011, 03:31 »
Like I said Justin. Last time I checked I'm TVA :)

Oh I know, I had a question out to a contact before this last exchange of posts. Just wanted to back up what you said.

Fermi2

« Reply #25 on: Jul 08, 2011, 03:34 »
I know!!!

It amazes me that someone would walk onto someone elses property, a decaying partly built industrial site no less, and start snapping pictures.

Not very bright in my estimation.

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #26 on: Jul 11, 2011, 01:36 »
I know!!!

It amazes me that someone would walk onto someone elses property, a decaying partly built industrial site no less, and start snapping pictures.

Not very bright in my estimation.

Zilla must be having a bad day. I liked the pictures. Thought they were cool. It's not very often you get to see the "dinosaur bones" of unfinished nuclear sites.

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #27 on: Jul 12, 2011, 08:27 »
Mike isn't having a bad day.  From what I have seen the principle photographer in this "project" is doing nothing more than trespassing.  His photographs are interesting, but gained illegally.  That makes the rest of us photographers who follow the rules get less and less access to these sites. 

I think he would find that if he followed the rules and asked for permission (most companies have a corporate office), he would find that although he would be turned down more often than not, there would still be those jewels that would flesh out his portfolio. 

I know....I got into Big Rock and Parr to photograph them before they were demolished, but I have been turned down a whole lot more than I have been let in.  I once had a Security Truck full of officers come out of the Owner Controlled Area, down the road, and into a field where I was shooting a Cooling Tower at night. They weren't happy about me being there, but I had called ahead and gotten PERMISSION. Try a little harder, you might be surprised.
Is it time for coffee yet?

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #28 on: Jul 12, 2011, 11:03 »
Ethical nature of the photographs aside, man those are some cool pictures.....
Reminds me of D1G for some reason...

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2011, 06:41 »

Reminds me of D1G for some reason...

That's SOME reason,...I could look at these photos for a month of Sundays and never be reminded of D1G,....

Perhaps I've seen too much,.... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #30 on: Jul 13, 2011, 08:06 »

Or others have seen too little  :P

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Jul 13, 2011, 08:18 »
That's SOME reason,...I could look at these photos for a month of Sundays and never be reminded of D1G,....

Or others have seen too little  :P

The inside of it.... A giant ball sitting in the middle of a fenced off area is hardly reminiscent of these... Just the broken down nature of it all.

Offline QCBob

• Lurker
« Reply #32 on: Aug 25, 2012, 05:32 »
Man these pictures just make me want to cry!! I inspected a lot of those concrete placements. After working in QC on the A plant powerblock I was transfered out to the A plant cooling towers where I was the lead inspector on the A-1 tower. I went all the way from the bottom of the deepest drilled pier (106' deep) to the topping out at 540.39'. My name is scrawled in the concrete at the top of the ladder. Damn TVA for being stupid enough to try and have 14 units under construction at one time. That's what killed their program!

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #33 on: Aug 29, 2012, 12:17 »
Damn TVA for being stupid enough to try and have 14 units under construction at one time. That's what killed their program!

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Not many consider the government "smart" enough to operate construction with little float in a deliverable.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?