Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Acces?? honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke Acces??  (Read 5715 times)

Offline tle2009

• Lurker
Nuke Acces??
« on: Jul 07, 2011, 06:14 »
Im wanting too take the radiation protection technician program but i had gotten a minor in possesion ticket for alchohol three months ago and i was wondering if i could still gain nuke acces if i was completly honest or would i have to wait so many years for the ticket to be over looked??? lmk thanks.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Nuke Acces??
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2011, 06:23 »
When you say "ticket" it leads me to think that you were charged with a violation.  This would be less than a misdemeanor.  Equivalent to a speeding ticket.  It would also be a juvenile offense, which should be sealed and/or expunged if you make it to adulthood without any more violations.

As long as the charge is no longer pending, this should not be a problem.  If you were ordered into a substance abuse awareness program or something like that, don't miss any classes.

Even though it isn't technically a crime, it is a drug/alcohol issue.  If you get another one, it could be a bit of an obstacle.

Quit breakin' the law, don't abuse alcohol, stay the hell away from illegal drugs, and you'll be fine.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2011, 06:35 »
I suggest sending Graphic a PM. He's more then helpful here, and he's our resident subject matter expert on entry.

Each plant handles their own access authorization differently so YMMV...

Graphic

« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2011, 03:49 »
Im wanting too take the radiation protection technician program but i had gotten a minor in possesion ticket for alchohol three months ago and i was wondering if i could still gain nuke acces if i was completly honest or would i have to wait so many years for the ticket to be over looked??? lmk thanks.

You will probably need to provide a little more info.

First it was a MIP but how old are you? If it was anything before your 18th birthday then you don't even have to list it. However, if it was since your 18th birthday then you would have to list it. Just makes a little difference. It also doesn't matter if it was a juvenile offense because if it was since your 18th birthday you have to list it no matter what or you will be denied for failure to list. These records aren't always as sealed as they seem they are very easy to get unsealed.

Anyways, as for the charge a lot of places don't arrest for MIP's nowadays. They do just give tickets kind of like they do with people and marijuana possession where they will let them off on their own recognizance. That being said in nuke world it is still considered a 'drug and alcohol issue'. Per procedure, no matter what you will no have to do a 5 year background or until your 18th birthday whichever one is shorter. (I would imagine you don't have a 5 year working history since your 18th birthday if you got a MIP)

So this is what you will have to do NOW to gain access.

5 year work history or until 18th birthday whichever is shorter.

Interview with psychologist who may suggest you have a SAE (Substance Abuse Evaluation) -- You didn't say if it was dropped. Just going by the way you worded it though I would say you plead guilty or no contest etc.. doesn't sound like it was dropped. IF it was dropped a psych wouldn't make you have an SAE. Obviously if you were guilty that is a different story.

Of course you have the drug screening and all that good stuff. But as far as for what you would have to do to even have a chance that is it.

Now in my honest opinion, I would wait. It sucks yes but it sucks even more to try to get in then get denied and put in PADS as being denied for an alcohol issue. There is always a chance but I just don't think it is worth the risk because your chance of denial is greater than your chance to gain access. Even if access didn't have a problem with it most psychologists I work with would not recommend you for access. Reason being is mostly because you are young and it isn't worth the risk for them to recommend you for access to their client (the utility). Also time isn't really on your side. It has only been 3 months. My suggestion is to wait until a year has passed and then try. Pretty much anything drug/alcohol related in the past 5 years is going to give you trouble so 3 months is just a little too soon.

I can only go by what we do where I work. There are set procedures by the NRC but any utility can go above and beyond those procedures if they feel fit as long as they are following procedure.. if that makes any sense. I can't think today. But the point is things vary at every plant. Some people will handle certain situations differently. I usually give my advice on experiences that I've had personally here and how we handle things with the utilities I work.

If you have anymore questions or maybe some more info that would help I can try to give you some more insight. Let me know.

Ryan
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2011, 04:02 by Graphic »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2011, 01:14 »
I'm going to have to defer to Graphic on this, being that he knows more about it than I do.

There is a difference between a "minor" and a "juvenile".  That gap between 16 and 21 is huge.  Even if you were under 18, the record probably wouldn't be sealed if it isn't a "juvenile" offense. 

Good luck.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?