Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I am on the hunt, and I want in! honeypot

Author Topic: I am on the hunt, and I want in!  (Read 9918 times)

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
I am on the hunt, and I want in!
« on: Jul 11, 2011, 10:03 »
And I'm not afraid to put my money where my mouth is, so I've signed on as a gold member today.  I have an M.S. Chemistry and I'm interested in Chem and NLO-->SRO positions.  I've already made contact with a few of you through private messages and I'm grateful for the help and advice.  Looking forward to sharing a pot of coffee with you on-site in the future.  
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2011, 10:09 by Papa Nuc »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: I am on the hunt, and I want in!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2011, 11:51 »
Welcome aboard! good luck in your endeavors!

MacGyver

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2011, 12:09 »
And I'm not afraid to put my money where my mouth is, so I've signed on as a gold member today.  I have an M.S. Chemistry and I'm interested in Chem and NLO-->SRO positions.  I've already made contact with a few of you through private messages and I'm grateful for the help and advice.  Looking forward to sharing a pot of coffee with you on-site in the future.  

Welcome aboard! good luck in your endeavors!

Just keep the crystal ball at home ...  

Oh, and

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2011, 06:23 »

Just keep the crystal ball at home ...  

Oh, and

Great commercial, I had not seen that one yet.     

If anyone wants to offer advice that I can't find by searching, I'm all eyes.

MacGyver

« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2011, 06:55 »
Look over Region II Plants.  The fall postings should be out shortly for OPS (NLO--->SRO; sic).  Those positions should be starting around the fall to spring depending on the utility.  As for chemistry, well that isn't my speciality.  It would be a useful time cruncher to set-up an account (career page) at all the utilities you would like to work.  Once you have set-up a 'career page' use one of the notification tools on the career homepage to alert you when a job / position opens.  Apply for all positions available since most are union shops.  Senority will allow you to bid on openings internally.  Be willing to start at the bottom.  I started as a NLO/AUO.  Look at me now ... :P

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2011, 06:05 »
Look over Region II Plants.  The fall postings should be out shortly for OPS (NLO--->SRO; sic).  Those positions should be starting around the fall to spring depending on the utility.  As for chemistry, well that isn't my speciality.  It would be a useful time cruncher to set-up an account (career page) at all the utilities you would like to work.  Once you have set-up a 'career page' use one of the notification tools on the career homepage to alert you when a job / position opens.  Apply for all positions available since most are union shops.  Senority will allow you to bid on openings internally.  Be willing to start at the bottom.  I started as a NLO/AUO.  Look at me now ... :P

That's great news, because I live in Region II right now!  Seriously though, thanks for the advice.  I do have an account on most of their websites right now.  A note to potential applicants: Progress Energy has the best submission website I've seen to date, and not just among power companies.  It is a breeze to create a profile and apply.  Now the Navy on the other hand....   

And if anyone of you senior members are available to review my resume, I would be very thankful.

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:16 »
Well, things are moving pretty slowly.  I'm still waiting to hear back on numerous positions I've applied for.  I've spoken directly to a couple of HR recruiters at power companies, but nothing solid yet.  I've been biding my time studying the ARCO spatial relationships book, and the DOE fundamentals.  I just need someone to give me an opportunity...

One recruiter told me that hiring for permanent positions slows to a crawl approaching their outage season.  Does that sound accurate at your companies?   

MacGyver

« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2011, 05:22 »
(RE: "outage hiring cycle"); YES, all the companies I know of hire around outage schedules.  An outage is an all hands evolution ... so ... even HR has assigned duties other than HR.  Most all training is scheduled around th outage too (for the same reason).  Although not so much recently due to the operations needs throughout the industry.  Don't worry though it will happen soon.  :)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2011, 06:33 »
Too bad you weren't looking last year.  My phone was ringing off the hook!  ;D It hasn't rung in a long time recently.  :( Just letting you know that it comes and goes in cycles in this industry.  So don't get discouraged and keep doing what the people on this site suggested.

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2011, 08:24 »
(RE: "outage hiring cycle"); YES, all the companies I know of hire around outage schedules.  An outage is an all hands evolution ... so ... even HR has assigned duties other than HR.  Most all training is scheduled around th outage too (for the same reason).  Although not so much recently due to the operations needs throughout the industry.  Don't worry though it will happen soon.  :)

Thanks Mac that makes a lot of sense.  I'm optimistic that I am applying at the right time in the hiring cycle since I have seen a lot of NLO openings across the industry lately.  Time will tell. 

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2011, 09:30 »
I passed the POSS this week, Gents.   8)  One leap closer...

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2011, 10:47 »
Congratulations.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2011, 11:09 »
Great job in setting your goal and continuing to work towards it!

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:14 »
Since my last posting I have passed the POSS again, the BMST, and accepted an offer as an operator!  Thank you all for your support, and encouragement.  It seems we will have that pot of coffee after all, MacGyver  >:(

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:14 »
Congratulations! Now the real work will begin! Glad to see you stuck to your goal and got an offer.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?