Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Pay after Navy honeypot

Author Topic: Pay after Navy  (Read 32409 times)

Offline Stormon

• Light User
Pay after Navy
« on: Jul 18, 2011, 01:47 »
Ok so first off don't kill me for starting a new thread on an old topic. Most of the information on this topic is years old and the economy changes over the years, no?

So my question to everyone here is what type of salaries could I expect after XX years in the Navy. I'm currently in the NUPOC program and am discussing the future with my wife. Any of you have recent experience? My degrees in college are Mathematics and Physics.

As a note to that I am a mathematician so numbers matter to me, so what are the salaries for say 5 years out, 10 years and 20 years? Also, what are the benefits? Retirement? Etc?

I have made models of various scenarios involving retirement/ inflation/ you name it but it is hard to theorize with mo raw numbers. So, in hopes of constructing a more accurate model I turn to this message board. (Please keep in mind that I hope for numbers from the Officer side of the equation but I am sure the Enlisted persons would find the information helpful.)

Lastly, my hopes in terms of degrees ( above my Math and Physics BS degrees) are MS in Physics, MS in Nuke Eng and a Doctorate in Math, so any of those lines of work interest me greatly.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Pay after Navy
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2011, 02:07 »
Eh, this has been covered a few times. You're probably better off searching.  Plenty of folks have gone to direct SRO's. Pay scale is encumbent on where you work really. 

It will also depend on what kind of job you want when you get out. Thats probably a better question to ask vice how much you're going to get paid.

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2011, 11:17 »
The information here is relatively current. Stop being lazy and expecting others to do the footwork for YOUR future..

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2011, 11:25 »
Your question is missing a lot of info. For example, when do you plan on getting out and what job do you want? Something in line with your degree is pretty broad.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Stormon

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2011, 11:37 »
Starkist, I have searched through the entire forum many times the problems are two fold: 1. The information is old. 2. Most of the information is mostly about enlisted pay, and/or pay with at most a bachelor degree.

Broadzilla, seriously? That's about all the comment or time I'll give you.

Then there was another comment, not sure who it was (it's a pain to start typing on the iPhone and go back pages.) My question is not on the specific job as I doubt many people have my line of (prospected) degrees (ie Math vs. Nuclear.) Rather I would like to crunch numbers on current data so I was hoping people could post their starting salaries/ benefits and such after however many years in and what fields, a simple request really, rather than the typical discussion on "ya I think lotsa ppl make 6 figures... Naw, you can only make 80K as an x-nuke... Sure I had a buddy who was a nuke and made 6 figs!..."

So, in conclusion, and to reiterate my request, could you all be so kind as to post your experiences getting out of the Navy? How long, officer or enlisted, starting pay in the civilian world, and anything else pertaining to the subject.

Thank you.

MacGyver

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2011, 11:41 »
Starkist, I have searched through the entire forum many times the problems are two fold: 1. The information is old. 2. Most of the information is mostly about enlisted pay, and/or pay with at most a bachelor degree.

Then there was another comment, not sure who it was (it's a pain to start typing on the iPhone and go back pages.) My question is not on the specific job as I doubt many people have my line of (prospected) degrees (ie Math vs. Nuclear.) Rather I would like to crunch numbers on current data so I was hoping people could post their starting salaries/ benefits and such after however many years in and what fields, a simple request really, rather than the typical discussion on "ya I think lotsa ppl make 6 figures... Naw, you can only make 80K as an x-nuke... Sure I had a buddy who was a nuke and made 6 figs!..."

So, in conclusion, and to reiterate my request, could you all be so kind as to post your experiences getting out of the Navy? How long, officer or enlisted, starting pay in the civilian world, and anything else pertaining to the subject.

Thank you.

« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2011, 11:43 by MacGyver »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2011, 11:44 »

Thank you.

Your request is too broad.  Also, there are too many variables for you to be able to accurately model in a spreadsheet to be able to draw a useful conclusion. 

I think others have tried to tell you that already. 

The beginning of nuclear knowledge is recognizing the correct answer when told.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Stormon

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2011, 11:51 »
salaries change as well, so this might be a topic to be discussed more often.  I think what shayne says is on target.

The beginning of science requires gathering of raw data. This is not the only place I have been looking for information. Also, my request, while broad, is in hopes of providing more individuals with more current data. While this site is full of great information, much of it is horribly out of date, unless you think that the economy of 2007 was the same as it is today, or do you remember the latest recession? Also, who said anything about a spreadsheet? Spreadsheet != model.

But back on topic, could anyone be kind enough to post answers to my questions rather than trying to tell me why I should not be asking my question?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2011, 11:55 »
The beginning of science requires gathering of raw data. This is not the only place I have been looking for information. Also, my request, while broad, is in hopes of providing more individuals with more current data. While this site is full of great information, much of it is horribly out of date, unless you think that the economy of 2007 was the same as it is today, or do you remember the latest recession? Also, who said anything about a spreadsheet? Spreadsheet != model.

But back on topic, could anyone be kind enough to post answers to my questions rather than trying to tell me why I should not be asking my question?

« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2011, 12:04 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Stormon

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2011, 11:56 »
Two more quick notes: thank you McGyver the post was useful, but already read. As stated before I feel it useful to consolidate current information on the subject.

Also, while posting in many of these threads I get this message:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 90 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

So, as everyone's talk of searching the forums I am merely trying to follow instructions.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:01 »

Thank you.

If you get out as anything less than say, a sub CO, enlisted and officer pay is the same in commercial nuclear ops. And no one cares about your degrees. There is one data point.

Figure about 100 grand base.

Outside of that, I can't help you.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2011, 12:04 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:07 »
Two more quick notes: thank you McGyver the post was useful, but already read. As stated before I feel it useful to consolidate current information on the subject.

So, as everyone's talk of searching the forums I am merely trying to follow instructions.

Here is a thought. You haven't even had a successful Navy Nuclear career yet. Why don't you focus on getting the milestone done before worrying about what may come later?

Like I said earlier, your request is too broad, unless you lay out a timeline for your plan.

MacGyver

« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:28 »

Is 90 days old TOO OLD to review for a good data point?  What constitutes 'CURRENT INFORMATION' (sic)? 

Heck if 90 days is not current then this entire thread will be OLD real fast.

[DH]

Offline Stormon

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:33 »
I am so glad we have been able to have this intelligent conversation on such a vital topic! That's OK, I know a lost cause when I see one. It's been great trying to extract information from an unwilling crowd. After a dozen posts no one has anything useful to say.

BTW, thank you HouseDad for calling me an arrogant git. That was greatly appreciated. BRING ON THE BAD KARMA!!! Do you all in fact know what the consequences of giving someone bad karma are? :)

*It seems I will not need to spend much more time on these forums... while I would like to give advice to people who need it, you folks are one problem I don't need to deal with*

Also, if you don't understand some of my comments [Enter Sarcasm Here] afterwards and they might make sense :) Good luck all.

Ant to MacGyver, the point is not that it is 90 days old, but rather that much of the consolidated information was back in 2007, with a few specific careers being discussed last year or so, AND the fact that as I was posting the forum told me to start a new topic, which I did and was received with animosity.

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:38 »
Most of the information on this topic is years old and the economy changes over the years, no?

So my question to everyone here is what type of salaries could I expect after XX years in the Navy.

As you said, the economy and therefore pay changes over the years, yet you want us to infer possible income 5, 10, and 20 years out.  Ponder that one for a bit before you chide others.

EDIT:  Removed helpful information due to attitude.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2011, 12:40 by a|F »

MacGyver

« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:41 »
I am so glad we have been able to have this intelligent conversation on such a vital topic! That's OK, I know a lost cause when I see one. It's been great trying to extract information from an unwilling crowd. After a dozen posts no one has anything useful to say.

BTW, thank you HouseDad for calling me an arrogant git. That was greatly appreciated. BRING ON THE BAD KARMA!!! Do you all in fact know what the consequences of giving someone bad karma are? :)

*It seems I will not need to spend much more time on these forums... while I would like to give advice to people who need it, you folks are one problem I don't need to deal with*

Also, if you don't understand some of my comments [Enter Sarcasm Here] afterwards and they might make sense :) Good luck all.

Ant to MacGyver, the point is not that it is 90 days old, but rather that much of the consolidated information was back in 2007, with a few specific careers being discussed last year or so, AND the fact that as I was posting the forum told me to start a new topic, which I did and was received with animosity.

NO it suggested you start a new topic (re: forum told me to).  YOU started the thread not the site/forum.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:41 »
If you get out as anything less than say, a sub CO, enlisted and officer pay is the same in commercial nuclear ops. And no one cares about your degrees. There is one data point.

Figure about 100 grand base.

Outside of that, I can't help you.

I answered your question to the best of my ability and experience based on what little info you gave.

You are quite the cry baby aren't you?

People gave you an honest assessment based on the minimal information you provided. You expected people to lay out a career for you, when that task is impossible at best, when you haven't laid out a timeline for your plans. You want 5, 10 and 20 year salaries..., who knows that? NO ONE. If you want real help, you need to provide real data, like I have requested twice so far in this thread, but have yet to get it.

Now, if you want to act like an adult, provide the information requested, or, shut your mouth (IE stop typing).
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2011, 12:42 by TheHiggs »

Offline Stormon

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:58 »
Re: TheHiggs, yes, your data was appreciated.

Excuse me for being tired and running on virtually no sleep. I just had my second kid... keeps you up at night.

Again, my point was to start a discussion on "Pay After Navy" but the thread has quickly spiraled away from that. I am trying to recruit a few friends and that was my main intent, not primarily to get information for myself. But, as you all have requested, I guess it's worth one more shot.

That's edited. I don't care to share that much with you as I don't care for your opinions on the matter. The short of it is if the SWO(N) stuff goes good I plan on staying in 20 plus years with the goal of at least O-6 if not O-7. During the course of the years I hope to get 2 MS, one in Nuclear Eng, and one in Physics. Then, because I like to go to school I plan on getting a Doctorate in Mathematics. Now, from there I enjoy theory above experiment. So, as for a career afterward I might find a university such as MIT and get on their research teams. Either that or possibly seeing what Jefferson Labs has to offer me. Outside of the physics world I don't know much as for jobs in the Nuke Eng side of things, possibly Toshiba-Westinghouse?

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:03 »
Re: TheHiggs, yes, your data was appreciated.

Excuse me for being tired and running on virtually no sleep. I just had my second kid... keeps you up at night.

Again, my point was to start a discussion on "Pay After Navy" but the thread has quickly spiraled away from that. I am trying to recruit a few friends and that was my main intent, not primarily to get information for myself. But, as you all have requested, I guess it's worth one more shot.

That's edited. I don't care to share that much with you as I don't care for your opinions on the matter. The short of it is if the SWO(N) stuff goes good I plan on staying in 20 plus years with the goal of at least O-6 if not O-7. During the course of the years I hope to get 2 MS, one in Nuclear Eng, and one in Physics. Then, because I like to go to school I plan on getting a Doctorate in Mathematics. Now, from there I enjoy theory above experiment. So, as for a career afterward I might find a university such as MIT and get on their research teams. Either that or possibly seeing what Jefferson Labs has to offer me. Outside of the physics world I don't know much as for jobs in the Nuke Eng side of things, possibly Toshiba-Westinghouse?

sounds like you are figuring things out on your own...
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2011, 01:05 by Starkist »

Offline Stormon

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:06 »

sounds like you are figuring things out on your own...

Ergo the reason I hope you all can give me useful information.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:13 »
Ergo the reason I hope you all can give me useful information.

Well I was just a dirty blue shirt, however, you have all these grandiose plans about becoming a lifer and you haven't even been in yet. What if you absolutely hate the job? Ive seen more then one officer brought to tears because of the amount of stress and crap the JO's go through (At least on my boat). You have 2 kids you say, you will need to make peace now that you are going to miss some things in their life, and obviously more the longer you stay in. Amidst the cacophony here, you need to understand this site is an extremely diverse mixing of people with varying levels of experience and insight. This is why people are harping on you to be more specific. You sound like you want to do some kind of theoretical engineering type thing when you get out. You can plan for that now, but you have at least 5 years of naval service to go through before you are able to do anything like that. Gamecock is naval reactors, Im more then certain he would be a wealth of information for you, not only for today, but down the line too.

p.s. I hope you understand why I posted that picture.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #21 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:16 »
What does cacophony mean?

Justin

MacGyver

« Reply #22 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:19 »
What does cacophony mean?

Justin

ca·coph·o·ny   /kəˈkɒfəni/ 
[kuh-kof-uh-nee] 

–noun, plural -nies. 
1. harsh discordance of sound; dissonance: a cacophony of hoots, cackles, and wails.
2. a discordant and meaningless mixture of sounds: the cacophony produced by city traffic at midday.
3. Music . frequent use of discords of a harshness and relationship difficult to understand.

cacophony  (kəˈkɒfənɪ) 

— n  , pl  -nies 
1.  harsh discordant sound; dissonance 
2.  the use of unharmonious or dissonant speech sounds in language 

Offline Stormon

• Light User
« Reply #23 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:21 »
Well I was just a dirty blue shirt, however, you have all these grandiose plans about becoming a lifer and you haven't even been in yet. What if you absolutely hate the job? Ive seen more then one officer brought to tears because of the amount of stress and crap the JO's go through (At least on my boat). You have 2 kids you say, you will need to make peace now that you are going to miss some things in their life, and obviously more the longer you stay in. Amidst the cacophony here, you need to understand this site is an extremely diverse mixing of people with varying levels of experience and insight. This is why people are harping on you to be more specific. You sound like you want to do some kind of theoretical engineering type thing when you get out. You can plan for that now, but you have at least 5 years of naval service to go through before you are able to do anything like that. Gamecock is naval reactors, Im more then certain he would be a wealth of information for you, not only for today, but down the line too.

p.s. I hope you understand why I posted that picture.

Don't worry... I know my sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internets. And that edited part was all about the wife and kids... so as I do not have any experience and whatnot I do like to plan ahead. I love mastering the art of the backup plan. Now on your comment of the diversity of those on the forum, that is why I wanted a broad discussion, because I highly doubt there are many of you in my shoes and I would rather have useful information from many people than useless information from few. How do you model without a lot of data?

Offline Stormon

• Light User
« Reply #24 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:22 »
Oh and McGyver, I would slow down on the facepalms, you might give yourself brain damage [Enter Sarcasm Here]

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?