Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Is AO operations? honeypot

Author Topic: Is AO operations?  (Read 31243 times)

Hitec757

Is AO operations?
« on: Jul 25, 2011, 12:25 »
Looking through the job listings there are hundreds of job titles.  Seems some companies have different names for similar jobs.  Trying to figure out what jobs fall under operations?

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
Re: Is AO operations?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2011, 02:53 »

Hello Hitec757,

AO often stands for auxiliary operator.  AO, RO and SRO are operational positions. Others here may have a more complete list. 

If you search AO on this site you will find more info. In fact, if you search any term you see employers using, you should be able to find a lot of useful info here.

Good luck with your next career and welcome to Nukeworker.

Bigchris

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2011, 08:25 »
All the same :

apprentice operator
auxilliary operator
nuclear equipment operator
senior nuclear equipment operator
equipment operator
non licensed operator

all are under the same cadre.

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2011, 05:51 »
Palisades (Entergy) AOs are now going by NPO (Nuclear Plant Operators).

I'm not sure if thats company wide.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2011, 06:10 »
Palisades (Entergy) AOs are now going by NPO (Nuclear Plant Operators).

I'm not sure if thats company wide.

Nope, not at this time...
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2011, 06:20 »
At BV they are going by "Plant operator."

So many different names for the same thing. ;D
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Hitec757

« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2011, 09:47 »
Thanks guys, all good answers.  The different titles makes it very difficult to identify the correct jobs I may be interested in.  Another job title is "control room operator."  Its listed here on site as a job title but a search shows almost nothing on it and other job searches have shown no listings.  I'm wondering how much difference there is in actual job functions between the names at different companies.  My concern is that operations is where I want to be and although I realize I may not be able to start there, I certainly want to make sure any job I might get offered is in-line with a natural progression to move into Ops.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2011, 09:51 »
Thanks guys, all good answers.  The different titles makes it very difficult to identify the correct jobs I may be interested in.  Another job title is "control room operator."  Its listed here on site as a job title but a search shows almost nothing on it and other job searches have shown no listings.  I'm wondering how much difference there is in actual job functions between the names at different companies.  My concern is that operations is where I want to be and although I realize I may not be able to start there, I certainly want to make sure any job I might get offered is in-line with a natural progression to move into Ops.

The natural question at this point is: What KSAs do you bring to the table?

Hitec757

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:08 »
Fair question.   Bachelor's degree in a non technical field.  20+ years as an air traffic controller for the FAA, airframe&powerplant mechanic (aircraft), 9 pilot certificates, aircraft dispatcher, certified electronics technician, FCC GROL with radar endorsement(the old FCC 1st class license).  Zero nuke experience.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:37 »
Non-licensed variety. You could easily get hired for one of those.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2011, 10:38 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Hitec757

« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:50 »
Tell me if I'm correct in this, but my reasoning for AO first was that since I have zero nuke experience, that AO would give me a good foot in the door and NLO would be be a good next step.  NLO seems to this outsider as a  big step for a first timer in the industry?  Do they really teach you everything you need or are you treading water for a long time?  I like to exceed in what I do and take a lot of pride in my work and wouldn't mind starting as a AO if it would make me a better NLO if I went that route.  Maybe if I knew more about specific training programs a company has for new NLO's I'd be more comfortable starting at that level.  I got several books from the library, but little is mentioned about the real job description and duties, even in the DOL books.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:52 »
Fair question.   Bachelor's degree in a non technical field.  20+ years as an air traffic controller for the FAA, airframe&powerplant mechanic (aircraft), 9 pilot certificates, aircraft dispatcher, certified electronics technician, FCC GROL with radar endorsement(the old FCC 1st class license).  Zero nuke experience.

To be honest, there is nothing to set you apart from other applicants.

Hitec757

« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2011, 11:01 »
Wow, there are some highly qualified people then to compete with outside of those that had nuke experience, which I clearly can't compete with.

"The FAA A&P License is 1,900 hours of classroom, 87 college credit hours, and practical instruction that has many skills similar to that needed in the energy industry.  A partial listing of the A&P subjects I was trained in include: basic electricity/drawings/fluid lines & fittings/materials & processes/corrosion control/mathematics/basic physics/maintenance publications/sheet metal and non-metallic structures/welding/assembly and rigging/hydraulic & pneumatic, instrument, electrical, position & warning, lubrication systems/propellers/auxiliary power systems and turbine engines."

I thought maybe not all other applicants had that type of training, although I'm sure some have much more.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2011, 11:03 by Hitec757 »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2011, 11:15 »
Tell me if I'm correct in this, but my reasoning for AO first was that since I have zero nuke experience, that AO would give me a good foot in the door and NLO would be be a good next step.  NLO seems to this outsider as a  big step for a first timer in the industry?  Do they really teach you everything you need or are you treading water for a long time?  I like to exceed in what I do and take a lot of pride in my work and wouldn't mind starting as a AO if it would make me a better NLO if I went that route.  Maybe if I knew more about specific training programs a company has for new NLO's I'd be more comfortable starting at that level.  I got several books from the library, but little is mentioned about the real job description and duties, even in the DOL books.

It is just NLO. They are all the same thing, just different names.

I disagree with Jams, you show a clear ability to be trained and have a lot of life and relevant experience that I think would set you apart some. But it will be different utility to utility. I know in mine, you'd have a great shot.

And yes, they teach you everything you need to know.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2011, 11:16 by TheHiggs »

Hitec757

« Reply #14 on: Jul 25, 2011, 11:28 »
I'm sure its not easy to get  an operations/NLO job so I'm planning on strengthening my resume by taking another physics class and one on "intro to nuclear power" or something similar, although I'm sure nuclear credit will have to be a distance-learning class as its not a common subject for many colleges.  At least the nuclear class will show some knowledge of the industry on my part, even though it will be very basic and elementary.  If nothing else it shows dedication to learning.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #15 on: Jul 25, 2011, 11:41 »
It certainly won't hurt!

Good luck!

Justin

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jul 25, 2011, 11:52 »
Keep going in your education and you can step into engineering. My 28 year old engineer friend is now doing instant SRO class as we speak...  We hired such an eclectic class, and most of my plants NLO's have a seemingly RANDOM back ground, and navy nukes are a minority here. I think we have 7 navy NLOs? You should get a well made resume together and see what you can do, it wont hurt.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2011, 12:01 »
Keep going in your education and you can step into engineering. My 28 year old engineer friend is now doing instant SRO class as we speak...  We hired such an eclectic class, and most of my plants NLO's have a seemingly RANDOM back ground, and navy nukes are a minority here. I think we have 7 navy NLOs? You should get a well made resume together and see what you can do, it wont hurt.

Yeah nukes are a minority in my current class and our current NLO class as well. The current NLO class has a guy with almost his exact background... in the aviation fields. That is why I think he has a great shot. This other guy beat out 200 other people.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2011, 05:01 »
Wow, there are some highly qualified people then to compete with outside of those that had nuke experience, which I clearly can't compete with.

"The FAA A&P License is 1,900 hours of classroom, 87 college credit hours, and practical instruction that has many skills similar to that needed in the energy industry.  A partial listing of the A&P subjects I was trained in include: basic electricity/drawings/fluid lines & fittings/materials & processes/corrosion control/mathematics/basic physics/maintenance publications/sheet metal and non-metallic structures/welding/assembly and rigging/hydraulic & pneumatic, instrument, electrical, position & warning, lubrication systems/propellers/auxiliary power systems and turbine engines."

I thought maybe not all other applicants had that type of training, although I'm sure some have much more.

And your inability to take even a hint of criticism (i.e thin skin) might be a liability.  I gave my opinion and you immediately went sarcastic and defensinve.  More power to ya, and I still stand by my opinion.

MacGyver

« Reply #19 on: Jul 26, 2011, 05:18 »
The real question is "IF" a utility thinks you are trainable.  (That's IF you get past their HR dept.) 

You are definitely trainable.  But, age may be a factor.  With the current retirement trend most utilities are looking at younger candidates.  Though most will still look at a maturity factor too. 

My guess is with most plants are looking for good fit with "LOCAL's" to fill positions so you might have a difficult (ie not impossible) task if you don't have a "local" (eg too you) nuclear generation plant. 

As for taking on-line classes .. It is not rare or hard too find good college's with said classes / programs.  And, it would help considering your lack of nuclear & indusrial experience.  Try also looking for true entry level jobs.  Like "helper" or "nuclear technician" or "janitor" (pun intended).  They are easier to get into & move on to operations later (eg union shops). 

Where have you applied & what have been the responses?  Are you willing too move if you don't have a local plant in your area?  (*Sent by a dumb ph*)
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2011, 07:47 by MacGyver »

Hitec757

« Reply #20 on: Jul 26, 2011, 05:24 »
Jams723

Came from an industry that requires a thicker skin than yours, stop patting yourself on the back.  And your right, it was criticism, where none was needed.  Opinions are great and that was what I was looking for and many great people gave that.  Even your comment made me think I can still improve my resume and I'll be taking extra courses so don't say its a liability.  From what I've read on this site, seems many get in with little technical knowledge or degree's in non technical areas.  The list of training for my A&P which was 80+ semester hours after my Bachelor's seems to have a lot of relevance to a power plant above someone without it.  If being an air traffic controller at a large facility is not what you call fast paced, high stress demanding and technical with virtually no room for errors, well I guess that wouldn't set me apart, but you'd be wrong.  The FAA is about the only agency that is allowed to not hire anyone after the age of 31 because the skill set required and the ability to learn the field and perform rapidly deteriorates past that point for most.  Those are simple facts and the rules.  And none of that training or skill set would make for a good NLO?  I won't even get into my pilot ratings, the aircraft I fly and the fact I teach people to fly.  Yeah, there's no multi-tasking or technical knowledge needed to fly a twin turboprop to minimums single pilot.  Maybe it will transfer over well, maybe not.  But don't think your job is the only important one out there, I may be new on the forum but not new to a high pressure industry.  Thanks for your input, I did learn something from it.
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2011, 05:25 by Hitec757 »

MacGyver

« Reply #21 on: Jul 26, 2011, 05:42 »
Just because you were successful in another career field doesn't auto-matically mean that will be the case here in nuclear.  It's great stuff for an interview though.  You might want to expand your search to other utility company's (other than just TVA).  You might look for nuclear technician jobs at Sothern Nuclear Company.  Honestly you are not competitive for their SO (system operator / non-licensed operator) positions.  You could then transfer to operations via a union bid.  This path is for someone with your experience.

Hitec757

« Reply #22 on: Jul 26, 2011, 05:54 »
Just because you were successful in another career field doesn't auto-matically mean that will be the case here in nuclear.  It's great stuff for an interview though.  You might want to expand your search to other utility company's (other than just TVA).  You might look for nuclear technician jobs at Sothern Nuclear Company.  Honestly you are not competitive for their SO (system operator / non-licensed operator) positions.  You could then transfer to operations via a union bid.  This path is for someone with your experience.

I agree, that's why I said " Maybe it will transfer over well, maybe not." Same way the fields best SRO may not make it it mine, two different animals, I understand that.  Reference your great earlier post, I have not applied anywhere yet until I get a better understanding of the jobs, the companies and the industry.  Still so much more to research and finding out what each job does in detail.  Then I'll try to find a company that I like and a general geographic location and start applying and I can even move there w/o an offer if it helps, and it sounds like it might.  I think another month or two and I'll have a good idea.  The courses are not as easy to find as I thought, nei has a site that lists them, most are classroom only, few have been independent and the large Univ's in my area only have the nuclear engineering version.  Thanks for your constructive comments.

MacGyver

« Reply #23 on: Jul 26, 2011, 06:03 »
Again, to be clear, we have a couple of ex-airline guys working for us in the control room.  They had previous navy nuclear experience though.  And they told me it has a lot of equal intensity parts.  But, nuclear power is much more intense in more areas than flying.  To be successful in both fields requires focused attention to detail & a daily pursuit of execellence.  If you have that then you can be successful.  As for distance learning, try Bismark, Excelsior and Thomas Edison.  Bismark adcertises here I believe.  I'd give you links but alas I am on my pit'ful dumb phone.

Update:
Bismark State College and their NUPT program

Excelsior
Classes upcoming
Student Success CCS-112 Success Strategies for Military and Veterans Online September 8
Student Success CCS-112 Success Strategies for Military and Veterans Online November 8
Student Success CCS-112 Success Strategies for Military and Veterans Online January 8
Student Success CCS-120 EC Success Seminar Online September 8
Student Success CCS-120 EC Success Seminar Online November 8
Student Success CCS-120 EC Success Seminar Online January 8
Student Success CCS-201 Introduction to Prior Learning and Portfolio Development Online September 8
Student Success CCS-201 Introduction to Prior Learning and Portfolio Development Online November 8
Student Success CCS-201 Introduction to Prior Learning and Portfolio Development Online January 8
Information Literacy INL-102 Information Literacy Online September 8
Information Literacy INL-102 Information Literacy Online November 8
Information Literacy INL-102 Information Literacy Online January 8
Nuclear Technology NUC-240 Atomic and Nuclear Physics Online November 8
Nuclear Technology NUC-245 Thermodynamics Online January 15
Nuclear Technology NUC-255 Electrical Theory Online September 15
Nuclear Technology NUC-320 Materials Online September 15
Nuclear Technology NUC-320 Materials Online November 8
Nuclear Technology NUC-325 Nuclear Materials Online September 15
Nuclear Technology NUC-330 Reactor Core Fundamentals Online September 15
Nuclear Technology NUC-330 Reactor Core Fundamentals Online November 8
Nuclear Technology NUC-350 Plant Systems Overview Online September 15
Nuclear Technology NUC-350 Plant Systems Overview Online January 15
Nuclear Technology NUC-495 Integrated Technology Assessment Online September 15
Nuclear Technology NUC-495 Integrated Technology Assessment Online January 15

Thomas Edison and their NET program
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2011, 01:40 by MacGyver »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Jul 26, 2011, 06:50 »
Just wanted to chime in, average age of my class of NLO's is around 34. We hired in a 4X year old as well. He didnt make it though :-/

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?