Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Called or Paged at Home
honeypot

Poll

I get called/paged at Home......

Rarely, I'm just a peon
Often, to interpret my work log/papers etc.
Frequently for my skills & knowledge & shift fill-in
All the time for B.S. reasons.
As a Mgr, constantly, my workers are peons.
As a Mgr. rarely, my workers don't need me.
As a Mgr. only for crisis, I alone can solve.
Never, I have caller ID
Other

Author Topic: Called or Paged at Home  (Read 8848 times)

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
Called or Paged at Home
« on: Oct 11, 2004, 03:37 »
Having worked at various places, I've seen the "call em at home" from rarely to almost daily depending on the utility culture and/or crisis of the moment.
How often have you been called at home or called in and how do you feel about it?
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

duke99301

Re: Called or Paged at Home
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2004, 11:59 »
ok dark matter tell us what you have done in some of thses areas ? or do you get to sit there and watch the fallout of things to come?
me I been called at home sevral times. but hey thats why they ask for your # in case someone is needed to give a helping hand . and do what ever it takes to get the job done.
always come in with a smile and a large cup of java.... and comment WOW.

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2004, 02:19 »
Rather be called at home and fix something then come in the next day and fix the fix.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2004, 09:46 »
ok dark matter tell us what you have done in some of thses areas ? or do you get to sit there and watch the fallout of things to come?
Comment noted, My feelings are: When I'm called in for a mechanical problem to keep the plant running or bring er back up---I'm fine with that, thats what we do. When I'm called in to fill-in for a Schedule due to illness or accident------I'm fine with that and am more concerned with the individual whose's out. When I'm called in to handle some political derived crisis due to incompentence------I question whether I want to work here. When I'm called in to fill-in for someone to go play golf with the boss----I pitch a fit. When I'm called at home to answer a work related question-----I'm fine with that if the answer isn't availible at work with a reasonable thought process-----If they're calling rather then use their brains, I worry about the future of nuclear power.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2004, 11:10 »
I don't mind getting called at home, because I know most of the time it means it'll be something I either won't see often (So I'll learn from it) or it's something I know and can use what I've learned so far.  No matter what, I know that if they call me at home I'll be making some nice money, and these days that goes farther than job satisfaction.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

duke99301

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2004, 09:37 »
it is amazing how many supers I have worked with never have a phone at the place they are staying. even though they can call you to tell you they are going to the boat and meet them at the blackjack table.
geuss they do not want the back shift calls.
I used have to call the PM evey time we had an ijury that went offsite. he wanted to know know matter what time it was.  those 2 in the morning calls were fun to make.
of course back at one site I was told two charge 2 hours every time I was called at home.

Gball

« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2005, 08:41 »
Test after test after test after test...

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2005, 09:14 »
When I was an IT Analyst (i.e. computer geek) at Calvert I used to get called - well, beeped, actually - on occasion to fix software and hardware problems. As a tech I have never been called at home. I question the concept of waking someone up at 0-dark-30 and then asking if they can fix a problem. If you could fix it from home (remote access was great) that was good, but if you had to come in, then they asked if you were fit for duty. Wasn't sure how logging in from home was different from logging in at the site... or how you could be fit for duty after sleeping for 3 hours and being jarred awake by a beeper. Losing that leash they called a beeper was a major benefit of being RIFed.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

shayne

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2005, 05:07 »
It is usually to work overtime.  So really it doesn't bother me.  I only wish they could call more often for Sundays.

JnyMac

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2005, 09:36 »
Almost always for overtime.  Caller Id is great for that.  Usually means time and half or double time.  The ones you hate are when they start asking questions about something you did 3 weeks ago.  Did I screw up or break something.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?