Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Questions about the nuke program honeypot

Author Topic: Questions about the nuke program  (Read 4784 times)

FutureNuke824

Questions about the nuke program
« on: Jul 13, 2011, 03:44 »
I have a few questions about the Nuclear Program and so far have had various different answers from reading these forums so I figure I'd ask myself and see what happens.

I just graduated high school in June and I've planned on joining the Navy since freshman year. My original plan was to go FMF Corpsman but when I went to the recruiter for information he pushed me toward nuke and it seemed like something I'd like to do. I have the scores for it and I'm in good enough physical shape to make it.

My first question is concerning my fiance and I, what's it going to be like during A School, Nuke school, and Prototype? Will we be able to live together or am I going to have to live in barracks?

Next question, are all 3 in Charleston or will I be moved somewhere else during the 18 months?

I've been looking for answers to these for awhile but haven't been able to get any information from a current nuke, all I have is the vague information from my recruiter who didn't have very many answers for me, any help is appreciated.

Offline jshinevar

• Light User
Re: Questions about the nuke program
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2011, 04:06 »
Question 1: As far as you and your fiance... unless she changes status to your wife before going, you won't be living with her.  You will be living in the barracks, and if I recall... you won't even be able to bring her to your barracks room.  As far as how life is... expect to spend a large majority of time in school.  It's not easy.  I was single when I went through, but I was not the greatest test taker in the world, so I spent many days in at school at 0500 and leaving about 2300 taking breaks to eat and smoke.  Life got easier for me in prototype because the worst that I had was 12 hour days.  Keep in mind that this sounds rough, and it is, but it is rough so that you are prepared for what comes after: life on a boat.

Question 2: A school and Power school are in Goose Creek South Carolina.  There are 2 prototypes just down the road as well.  However... there are also 2 prototypes in Saratoga Springs New York that you could be sent to.  On a bright note though, in prototype you are giving housing allowance and get to live out in town, so your fiance could then live with you, if she is not your wife by then.

I hope this helps.  I do not regret being a nuke, I've put in a lot of hard work to make everything of it that I can.  When you get done with school and qualifying on your first boat... you will feel like you have really accomplished something.  I felt it again when I qualified EWS (Engineering Watch Supervisor). 

FutureNuke824

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2011, 04:10 »
Thank you, she will be my wife by then, we plan on either getting married right before basic or right after

Another question I just thought of, how much of a wait is it from getting out of basic til I go to school? Will I be sitting around twiddling my thumb for 6 months or will I be able to go right from basic to nuke school?

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2011, 04:55 »
Thank you, she will be my wife by then, we plan on either getting married right before basic or right after

Another question I just thought of, how much of a wait is it from getting out of basic til I go to school? Will I be sitting around twiddling my thumb for 6 months or will I be able to go right from basic to nuke school?
My son graduated from Boot Camp on Friday April 22nd and flew to Charleston Saturday April 23rd.  He started EM NFAS a couple of weeks later.  BTW, my son got married in December and got 3 days to move his wife to Charleston about a week after he got there.  She spent the weekend with him in Charleston the first weekend he got there.  He had to be back on base Sunday night at midnight (might have been 10 pm).  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 05:09 by DDMurray »
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

FutureNuke824

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2011, 06:17 »
Thank you, that does help

Offline DadofMM-ELT

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2011, 12:25 »
Our son was "grad 'n' go" as well, YMMV. As another data point, be aware that there can be quite a long hold between power school graduation and prototype. Our son tells me he's looking at anything up to 6 months at this point. Apparently he can request temporary assignment elsewhere during that period but I can't give you any real details on what's involved.

Offline seconskin552

• Light User
  • I'm not a doctor. I am only five years old!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2011, 07:55 »
As soon as you get to Goose Creek, restrictions will be as follows : (AKA Phase 1)
Civilian clothing not authorized
No alcohol
In room by 0015
No going off base on weekdays
Off base weekend liberty in Dress Uniform/NSU

That being said, you will get X number of days to move your wife to a house on base, depending on how far away she lives. They walk you through the paperwork in Indoc. Any other questions about married and the first part of the pipeline feel free to PM me.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?