Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ex-Navy non nuke  

Author Topic: Ex-Navy non nuke  (Read 5690 times)

rhthompson

Ex-Navy non nuke
« on: Aug 06, 2011, 10:18 »
I am new to the board so please be gentle.  My history is as follows: Served nine years in the navy as a Missile technician (D5 ballistic missile system), 6 of which were on board a nuclear sub and the last 3 I worked as a Radcon tech in the safety department at a strategic weapons facility doing swipes, dispersing and collecting dosimetry, training personell about radiation detection and safety as well as being a member of the decon team.
Once out of the navy I landed a job as an industrial maintenance technician / electrician. I have held this position for almost 6 years now but I would like to get into the nuclear industry.  I am just confused what the career paths are and which one to take.  I would like to stay on the maintenance side (maybe I&C) since this is where most of my experience is but it seems to me from reading other posts that most people pursue operator positions. 
What I am really after is a breakdown of the different career paths (maintenance, operator, rad tech etc..) and some general info about their salarys.
Thank you. Sorry if I rambled.

rhthompson

Re: Ex-Navy non nuke
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2011, 11:01 »
Or can I get some insight on how to get my foot in the door with my background.  I also have an AAS degree in electronics.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2011, 03:22 »
You'd be competitive for any position you applied for, including ops. There is a missile tech in my license class right now..., but of course, he started as an NLO.

For salaries, use the sites search feature, there are a few threads on that. I would do it but I'm on my phone.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2011, 06:07 »
I second Higgs.... you are qualified for Maintenance, probably Radiation Protection, and definitely  OPS (as a non-licenced operator - NLO / AO)

Cruse the utility websites, almost all post the jobs and recruit online. Good luck, you sound as if you have a good mechanical / electrical balance - you would likely be an asset whichever spot you get into.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

MacGyver

« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2011, 01:16 »
I am new to the board so please be gentle.  My history is as follows: Served nine years in the navy as a Missile technician (D5 ballistic missile system), 6 of which were on board a nuclear sub and the last 3 I worked as a Radcon tech in the safety department at a strategic weapons facility doing swipes, dispersing and collecting dosimetry, training personell about radiation detection and safety as well as being a member of the decon team.
Once out of the navy I landed a job as an industrial maintenance technician / electrician. I have held this position for almost 6 years now but I would like to get into the nuclear industry.  I am just confused what the career paths are and which one to take.  I would like to stay on the maintenance side (maybe I&C) since this is where most of my experience is but it seems to me from reading other posts that most people pursue operator positions. 
What I am really after is a breakdown of the different career paths (maintenance, operator, rad tech etc..) and some general info about their salarys.
Thank you. Sorry if I rambled.

Example 1:
I know of an Ops NLO that started in Fossil and made the transistion to Nuclear.  He was a FT on a boomer.  After a tour in Ops I bet he ends up in I&C.

Example 2:
I also know of an Army RadioMan (with advanced electronics) that is an NLO and is transitioning to I&C.

Summary:
They both started in Ops as a NLO/AUO/etc.

That's two examples so you now have zero excuses ...  ;)  ... You can do it too.
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2011, 02:23 by MacGyver »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2011, 04:05 »
Im sure you get the point, but in my former NLO class we had 2 army guys, 1 non nuke EM, and the class before had a couple air force guys as well.  Ops manager is prior air force as well.

Offline bdhoe

• Light User
  • Retreating is always an option...
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2011, 04:27 »
As an Ex-Boomer who was in the Engine room I would not have a problem with you doing Ops, I&C, Electric or Mechanic stuff..your qualified and please apply if you need to figure out how to study for the POSS or the other test feel free to ask, just apply and your phone will be ringing..but if the ## alarmed yeah we were screwed...) and you did not want to be an ELT so why start now.. ;D thats why I stopped
Gratz on getting out and thank you for your service and good luck on the job hunt!
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2011, 04:29 by bdhoe »
I think maybe I shouldn't have taken the blue pill after all...damn...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?