Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Initial Training class vs systems  

Author Topic: Initial Training class vs systems  (Read 4607 times)

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
Initial Training class vs systems
« on: Aug 07, 2011, 12:12 »
Just bypassed the initial training section where you learn about fundamentals and how a reactor works. Now I am getting ready to start systems class I was wondering what to expect for class difficulty and any recommendations or tips you would have to succeed in the class.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Initial Training class vs systems
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2011, 01:26 »
A solid systems knowledge is key to success in the program. It all comes together in the simulator, but you have to have that base or you will get swallowed up fast.

That said, hit the bases documents hard. A lot of good information on why a system does what it does and how it does it. Not only that, the NRC expects you to know tech spec or other regulatory requirements with actions to be performed within an hour from memory. See flash cards below.

Learn how to draw the systems, and makes sure you walk them down. Also, walk down the control boards as much as you can to get a feel for where things are. This will help when you finally get to the simulator. Plus, there will be questions about switch positions, meter readings, and what not that will be easy peasy if you've seen them a few times. I personally go in 30 minutes early everyday and walk down a panel or two in the simulator. And I get to the plant a few hours a week to walk down systems.

There are some things that are pretty much just memorization, like lists of trips/scrams, turbine trips, safety actuation's, etc. You have to know those cold for the rest of your life. I keep some flash cards handy at all times and when I am randomly bored, like say sitting in a car wash, I will break a few out and go over them.

For control systems, get the logic down cold. If you can do a simplified sketch of the logic, it will make questions that ask about transmitter or instrument failures much easier. There will be all kinds of questions dealing with things failing like the master pressure controller or reactor level controls, feed controls, etc etc ad nauseum and knowing the logics helps tremendously. Some people rely on just memorizing the words, but if you forget if it is an AND or an OR, that could mean the difference between you getting a question right or wrong. Knowing the actual logic diagram can help prevent that.

Also, don't forget your fundamentals. Things like thermal limits and D/P (level) detectors will come up again and again.

Your test taking skills also need to ratchet up a bit. You will eventually have some questions that have a stem nearly a page long. Being able to identify your key parameters is important. If the test writer constructed a good question, every piece of information in the stem will be useful..., not necessarily to prove your answer correct, but sometimes to prove another answer wrong. For example, a lot of times they will say "no other alarms are in." Seems innocuous, but that one piece of information can help you cross off 2 or 3 distractors. I not only prove my answer right, but I also prove all the distractors wrong and put as much data on the test as I can so that if a challenge is warranted later, my thought process is clear.

When in doubt, ask the proctor. A lot of times they can't say much more than what is in the stem, but sometimes they can help clarify what is being asked.

Speaking of alarms, when you study a system, read the alarm response procedures that go with them. There is a TON of good information about the system ops buried in those things. Not only that, they usually give locations, setpoints, auto actions, etc. Again, tons of good info.

Finally, as you build up your systems knowledge, it will be come clear what areas you need to maintain a high level of memory on and where you can slack a bit. Yes, the standard answer is "you have to know everything," but the NRC doesn't really care if you know that some turbine building drain sump pump (unless you are bwr) is powered from normal 480v compared to say your high head safety injection pumps. You get my point..., somethings are clearly not as important to others. Safety systems are what you need to know absolutely everything about, and go down from there. That is my opinion though. I don't waste my time restudying low level non safety related equipment the deeper into the program I get. YMMV.

Anyway, good luck and feel free to ask any questions you have! We have a good cadre of licensed people around here now of varying experiences so the depth of knowledge is great.

Justin

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2011, 01:33 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2011, 04:05 »
Justin, he's an NLO dude. Barring that, learning the drawings is probably the best idea. Difficulty is about the same, just MORE of it.  You have good experience being from the Navy, use your knowledge of qualifying on the boat like you would here and you will be just fine. (i.e. learning drawings, walking down systems, asking experienced operators for help).

Good luck, you should be fine though.

edit: tests do get a little harder like justin mentioned though... No longer 2 obvious wrong answers.  You can get 2 "correct" answers, but one will be "more correct" then the other. 
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2011, 04:14 by Starkist »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2011, 04:41 »
Oh, my bad. I assumed he was in license class. Be that as it may, it is still good advice for the future, and should be stickied. :P

Justin
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2011, 04:42 by TheHiggs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline GatorNuke007

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2011, 05:28 »
Higgs thank you for the insight and the sticky and I return one to you ;D. Starkist like always very helpful. Thanks Again

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?