Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Naval Reactors Engineer Chances? honeypot

Author Topic: Naval Reactors Engineer Chances?  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Llewellyon

• Light User
Naval Reactors Engineer Chances?
« on: Sep 15, 2011, 03:28 »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but if it isn't just let me know and I'll delete the posting. Sorry if I upset anyone!

I'm going to apply to the Naval Reactors Engineer position in the NUPOC program and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of my chances.

Virginia Commonwealth University
Dual degrees in mechanical engineering and physics with a concentration in nuclear engineering (for the MechE degree)
3.9 overall GPA
~3.95 mechanical/nuclear GPA
4.0 physics GPA
Will have 187 credit-hours by the time I graduate
Will have taken ~6 graduate level courses (not required) by graduation
Conducted research for two summers (related to nuclear terrorism)
Interned at a government contractor this past summer (related to nuclear terrorism)
Have a "Secret" security clearance
Working on a PWR simulator for my senior capstone project
Was a RA (resident assistant) for 2 years

I'm in my senior year now, so the GPA might change a little, but I'm planning on getting all A's this year. Once again, sorry if this is not the right place to post this, but if anyone could shed some insight into my chances, I would greatly appreciate it!
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2011, 05:20 by Llewellyon »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Naval Reactors Engineer Chances?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:27 »
You've got a better then average chance of getting an interview.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Llewellyon

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:55 »
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to see the recruiter on Saturday, hopefully he will repeat what you said.

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2011, 04:37 »
One bit of correction, if you currently aren't working a project that requires your security clearance, then you do NOT have it. You "have held" it, but in the Civilian world it's revoked immediately after you do not have a need to know anymore. Minor detail, but since you're interested in the Nuclear Navy attention to detail is everything.
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?