Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ET, EM, or MM Rate selection? honeypot

Author Topic: ET, EM, or MM Rate selection?  (Read 17914 times)

Offline fischin

• Very Lite User
ET, EM, or MM Rate selection?
« on: Aug 10, 2011, 12:47 »
I enlisted in the Navy on July 21, 2011, as "Nuclear Field Applicant". I am fully aware of what I've gotten myself into, and I know this will be one of the most challenging things I will ever do in my life. I have had a fond interest in nuclear energy for quite some time, and second on my list of career choices, was to be Navy Nuke. Well my first career choice didn't quite work out , so I headed right on down to the recruiting office on my 18'th birthday, and bluntly told the recruiters as I walked in the office "I want to join the Navy." They proceeded to look at me funny, then asked if I had graduated from high school. I said yes, then they asked me what my GPA was. I said 3.8. Then the CPO in the office poked his out of his office door and asked "What exactly do you want to do in the Navy?" I said I want to be a Navy Nuke. Immediately every recruiter in the office got out of their chairs, came up and introduced themselves to me. I sat down, took the pre-asvab, scored a 90, and they said as long as I had no D's or F's in high school, and I was good at math, I shouldn't have a problem qualifying for nuke. They took me to MEPS the next day, to take the real ASVAB. Scored a 92. And my "Nuc" line score was a 266, and my "EL" line score was also a 266. (I guess my 4 years of engineering classes, shop classes, and 4 years working for my dad (an electrical contractor) finally payed off) I Went back to the recruiting office, and I was told by my recruiter that I had the highest line scores he had ever seen. (I don't really believe him, so if 266 and a 92 isn't that high, let me know LOL). It was a monday and he said he would take me to MEPS next friday to swear in and what not. Well apparently that wasn't soon enough, because someone way up in the chain of command, made it an order that I was to be driven 3 hours away to another MEPS, and sworn in that thursday. So me and my recruiter spent a whole day doing paperwork, and then we went to San Jose, where I stayed overnight in a hotel, then went to MEPS early thursday Morning for what I consider to be 13 hours at the DMV. Signed a bunch of papers, swore in, then went home. Passed out on the car ride home. It didn't hit me until three days later that I just sold my life away. lol.

WITH THAT BEING SAID: lol, I ship out March 1st 2012. (I know what you're thinking... he can't wait a week and a half to swear in but he can wait 7 months to ship out? lol classic example of a case of "hurry up and wait" huh?) My main question to all of you experts, is what rate will I likely be selected for? I'm fine with any of them, but I just hate not having any idea, so based on my line scores (and the needs of the navy), if I wanted to be an ET, would I have a good chance at being selected for it? The Nuke Chief said I would most likely be forced to be an ET because of my scores, but I don't really trust what someones telling me as I'm signing my life away. haha. So if any of you have an opinion, answer, or a suggestion about my career choice, feel free to chime in :) I'd appreciate anything! I love NukeWorker.com! I was trolling these forums long before I enlisted, and love all of the expert advice.

Thank you!!! :)

DSO

Re: ET, EM, or MM Rate selection?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2011, 05:31 »
When I enlisted (1985) there was no rhyme or reason to what rate you were selected for. Basically they put your name in a hat and select so many for MM, so many for EM, and so many for ET. I had a 97 ASVAB and was selected for EM. They did offer anyone MM if they wanted to be as there are more openings for MM in the nuclear field. Of course everyone wanted to be an ET because thats what Reactor Operators are so they are most likely playing that angle to placate you as you wait in DEP. Just being a Nuke will mean more than anything when you get out and there is not clearly one rate more valuable in an employer's eyes. You picked and were selected for the most technical rate in any of the 4 services, so you're off to a great start. Dont worry about the rate your picked for....it will be insignificant later.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2011, 08:20 by DSO »

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2011, 09:59 »
I enlisted in the Navy ...

When the recruiters I've known start talking about stuff in the future, they're talking out of their butts. They only have a guess or they were there a long time ago and they don't know how it's done now. Anyway, when they told you that stuff about ET, translate it as "I don't know." and you'll be good. ;)

I could tell you what I've heard about how the ratings are chosen, but it's all unsubstantiated and it came from the internet...

I figure I'll just make a list in order of preference and try not to get too attached to any one rating before they tell me what I've got.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2011, 10:05 by Styrofoam »

Offline Zog

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2011, 10:18 »
Depends on what you want to do. Speaking from a submarine perspective as an ET you will spend more time sitting in A/C in a chair as RO. As an MM you spend your time in the engine room, getting dirty doing a lot of hands on mechanical repairs. EM is a little of both. As mentioned, all rates will put you on a good path for a successful career, they are just different paths. You have some exposure to electrical working for your Dad, if you liked that you can log your hours as an EM and be well on your way to a journeyman card when you get out.

Expect a lot of hard work the next 6+ years but I consider it the best decision I ever made. Good luck. 

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2011, 11:45 »
For every five people, two will be mechanics (real men!), two will be wire biters, and one will be a twidget (generically speaking of course). Needs of the navy prevail, and you and no one else here will have any clue until you are told when you ship out.

3.8 gpa eh? That's WAY too high to be a navy nuke ;) every person winds up loving their rate, and all others suck, so ill tell you, it really doesn't matter what you get ;) there's pros and cons to both, but you will find that out for yourself.

Good luck dude, search around, lots of good info here and they can answer many questions you haven't even asked yet.

IPREGEN

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2011, 12:18 »
"The highest score I've ever seen"
That's right up there with

It wasn't me.
I'm fine.
Gee, you haven't changed a bit.
The cheque is in the mail.
I never got the message.
We service what we sell.
She is only a friend.
Your baby looks so beautiful.
That looks so good on you.
One size fits all.
I'll start my diet on Monday.
Thank you, dinner was so delicious.
I need 5 minutes of your time.
I never said that.
Give me your number and the doctor will call you right back.
Money cheerfully refunded.
This offer limited to the first 100 people who call in.
Leave your CV and we'll keep it on file.
This hurts me more than it hurts you.
Your table will be ready in a few minutes.
Open wide, it won't hurt a bit.
Let's have lunch sometime.
It's not the money, it's the principle.
I wasn't feeling well.
I didn't want to hurt your feelings.
I was just kidding.
I was only trying to help.

MacGyver

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2011, 12:36 »
 My main question to all of you experts, is what rate will I likely be selected for? I'm fine with any of them, but I just hate not having any idea, so based on my line scores (and the needs of the navy), if I wanted to be an ET, would I have a good chance at being selected for it? The Nuke Chief said I would most likely be forced to be an ET because of my scores, but I don't really trust what someones telling me as I'm signing my life away. haha. So if any of you have an opinion, answer, or a suggestion about my career choice, feel free to chime in :) I'd appreciate anything! I love NukeWorker.com! I was trolling these forums long before I enlisted, and love all of the expert advice.

BIG FAT LIE (Alert).

Offline seconskin552

• Light User
  • I'm not a doctor. I am only five years old!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2011, 07:49 »
Current A school ET student (about to take comp on Monday)

I doesn't really matter. I had friend who wanted to be MM's in boot chosen as EM's, and vice-versa. But of all the people in my A-School class, We all Had ET as our first choice in boot camp. Just be aware that whatever you do, MM's have the easiest A-school. They only learn how to identify hammers ( :-> )

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2011, 08:05 »

I doesn't really matter. I had friend who wanted to be MM's in boot chosen as EM's, and vice-versa. But of all the people in my A-School class, We all Had ET as our first choice in boot camp. Just be aware that whatever you do, MM's have the easiest A-school. They only learn how to identify hammers ( :-> )

First. You are correct. Pretty much eeryone wanted to be an et lol.

Seond, all you clowns learn is how to adjust the ac in manuevering :p

All rates depend on each othher.

Third, good luck on comp, your real school is about to start! Stay focused!

drayer54

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2011, 08:22 »

Hammer? -1 BMS

We also learned more intelligent applications of the word "peen" and "head" in addition to 5 types of files and 12 safety principles that go out the door once you get to the fleet and find drawers labeled "weapons of mass destruction" and "sharp things"

Some of us looked at the choices of circuit theory vs hand tools and new which one be more fun. Had the info sheet said: Desired working conditions: Chair in A/C or 120 degrees maybe... but not every future warrior in the global force for good wanted to be a spu elt ET.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2011, 08:23 by Drayer »

Offline seconskin552

• Light User
  • I'm not a doctor. I am only five years old!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2011, 09:13 »
Hammer? -1 BMS

We also learned more intelligent applications of the word "peen" and "head" in addition to 5 types of files and 12 safety principles that go out the door once you get to the fleet and find drawers labeled "weapons of mass destruction" and "sharp things"

Some of us looked at the choices of circuit theory vs hand tools and new which one be more fun. Had the info sheet said: Desired working conditions: Chair in A/C or 120 degrees maybe... but not every future warrior in the global force for good wanted to be a spu elt ET.

lol at the sharp things drawer. And yes, i was just saying that those of us that had et's as first choice generally got it.

First. You are correct. Pretty much eeryone wanted to be an et lol.

Seond, all you clowns learn is how to adjust the ac in manuevering :p

All rates depend on each othher.

Third, good luck on comp, your real school is about to start! Stay focused!

Thanks. Hope to keep my 3.76 and honorman for this last test. Then off to be the world's highest paid janitor on T-Track for months.

Offline fischin

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2011, 10:59 »
I laughed pretty hard at your guys's responses. The consensus seems to be that all recruiters talk out of their ass and really don't what is going to happen. I'm really glad I checked this site out before I enlisted. I would've actually believed my recruiters if I had not've trolled this site.
Thanks for all of your input. :)

Offline fischin

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2011, 11:06 »

3.8 gpa eh? That's WAY too high to be a navy nuke ;) every person winds up loving their rate, and all others suck, so ill tell you, it really doesn't matter what you get ;) there's pros and cons to both, but you will find that out for yourself.

A 3.8 might be too high to be a Navy Nuke, but it wasn't high enough to get me into Cal Poly as a mechanical engineer major. I got my letter from Cal Poly that said I was almost accepted on March 1st 2010. Ironically thats my ship date as a Navy Nuke. strange how s**t works out sometimes haha
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2011, 08:37 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2011, 12:42 »
lol at the sharp things drawer. And yes, i was just saying that those of us that had et's as first choice generally got it.

Thanks. Hope to keep my 3.76 and honorman for this last test. Then off to be the world's highest paid janitor on T-Track for months.

3.7 is honorman? O.o. oh well, congrats and good work, keep it up.

"Those of us that hd et as first choice usually go it".... uh, no duh? :p

Offline Marc622

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Oct 06, 2011, 12:21 »
Let me start off with a 92 ASVAB is high compared to the rest of the Navy, but most nukes score 96-99. Your ASVAB score will have nothing to do with what rate you get selected for. Its a split between your choice and needs of the Navy (20/80). Good luck in your quest to be a Nuke. I see that your 18 so don't be stupid and drink, or even worse drink and drive. Its the number one way we nukes lose each other. If you have any questions feel free to pm me ( Currently in Prototype NY).

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Oct 06, 2011, 03:33 »
Let me start off with a 92 ASVAB is high compared to the rest of the Navy, but most nukes score 96-99. Your ASVAB score will have nothing to do with what rate you get selected for. Its a split between your choice and needs of the Navy (20/80). Good luck in your quest to be a Nuke. I see that your 18 so don't be stupid and drink, or even worse drink and drive. Its the number one way we nukes lose each other. If you have any questions feel free to pm me ( Currently in Prototype NY).

Actually, your line scores on your asvab may very well play a part in the rate you are chosen to be. No one knows, so stop speaking as an authority on the matter. That said, your advice about the drinking/driving is very poignant.

don

« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2011, 04:17 »
try to go ET, the qualified RO will make you able to go direct SRO when you get out, and will make you more desirable to civilian nukes. If you dont go ET, try and qualify EWS (also will qualify you for direct SRO).

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2011, 04:24 »
try to go ET, the qualified RO will make you able to go direct SRO when you get out, and will make you more desirable to civilian nukes. If you dont go ET, try and qualify EWS (also will qualify you for direct SRO).

Incorrect, being an ET does not make you more desirable for civilian nukes.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2011, 04:54 »

Wrong, but BZ already told you that. But to add to what he said, you will find the number of SROs who were former MMs far exceeds those that were ETs. And, no one cares what rate you were, in general.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

MacGyver

« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2011, 05:12 »
"Go RO (ET) it will qualify you for Direct SRO" -  WRONG!  ET/RO (Navy) only qualifies for Direct RO.  Unless you qualified EWS/EOOW in the nav & you have more than a day in that role.  Or you have a degree (& I'm not going to waste my time anymore explaining how that works). 

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2011, 05:23 »
To be clear, 6 and out ET does allow you to be a direct SRO, but I'm only aware of one company that would do that..., Exelon.

Page 7 of ACAD.

http://tinyurl.com/acad10-001
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

MacGyver

« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2011, 05:30 »
Thats a good catch Justin.  We didn't / wouldn't hire nav ET's until the recent ACAD change.  And we only are running a trial run as direct RO's.  We only let O-Gangers & Senior Enlisted / Degreed Company Engineers attempt Direct SRO.  Again good catch.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #22 on: Oct 07, 2011, 05:36 »
Yeah, most places are of that thinking that I can tell. As it should be. A 6 and out Navy nuke of any rate is not ready to be an SRO, IMO.

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Oct 07, 2011, 05:57 »
A 6 and out Navy nuke of any rate is not ready to be an SRO, IMO.
But they sure make great sea-lawyers!    :D

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #24 on: Oct 07, 2011, 06:05 »
But they sure make great sea-lawyers!    :D

I was going to say except you, but I wasn't sure if you even came by anymore. ;D

Well you and the only other ET-SRO that I know. He was good.

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?