Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Being an ELT honeypot

Author Topic: Being an ELT  (Read 41721 times)

mixon

Being an ELT
« on: Aug 14, 2011, 12:13 »
First of all, I am a MM in NPS and I was considering trying to be an ELT. I was wondering what would be better for me in my future search of a job after the Navy. I guess there are really three routes I can take: secondary system MM, primary system MM or ELT. I understand that some of the decisions will not be mine to make, but still always nice to know what to expect.

Thanks

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Being an ELT
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2011, 12:15 »
ELT, clearly.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

mixon

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2011, 12:17 »
Sorry for me being naive..but why is that?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2011, 12:31 »
Because I was an ELT and I am an SRO.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2011, 09:25 »
You will have no say in being a primary or secondary mechanic when you get to your ship, it's all based on divisional manning (assuming you go to a carrier). Once you're qualified senior in rate, you can ask to go to the other division, or at least qualify their senior in rate, for the experience, which will help you make rate and qualify PPWS (again assuming a carrier).

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2011, 10:03 »
ELTs tend to be the better looking nukes.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2011, 10:34 »

I know a couple of former ELTs that do not fit that mold...  ;)

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2011, 01:27 »
First of all, I am a MM in NPS and I was considering trying to be an ELT. I was wondering what would be better for me in my future search of a job after the Navy. I guess there are really three routes I can take: secondary system MM, primary system MM or ELT. I understand that some of the decisions will not be mine to make, but still always nice to know what to expect.

Thanks
Go subs and you can be all three!
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

MacGyver

« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2011, 02:27 »

Uhhhh, thank you for admitting it was a beauty contest ... (i.e. not an intelligence issue) ...  ;)

How about a fashion show comrade ...

[ROFL]

Geeezzzz at the vanity on display ... ELT's pretty ha!  ELT's are just girlie MM's.  In fact they are just one letter removed from true femininity (e.g. ET).   ;)   :P :P :P [Flamer] [Flamer] [Flamer] [Flamer]

drayer54

« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2011, 02:35 »

Why don't you finish Power School and figure it out in Prototype.

Go hang out in the shop with the MM's and figure out what working with them is like. Go to the cube or wherever the ELT's hang out now and figure out what they are like.

Listen to the stories, ask the questions, figure out which clique you like better. That's what I did for the sub/surface/elt/spu decision. The quality of life/career goals are going to have much more to do with your own work ethic and people around you than any choice you make in the pipeline. The job of an ELT, especially on a Carrier, is much different than that of a mechanical operator. You may not even have the choice to be an ELT, it helps if you're a girl. We had a lot of ELT women (MY EXPERIENCE WAS NOT CONSISTENT WITH BZ's and much more consistent with MAC) and I remember that helping in the pipeline.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2011, 02:40 by Drayer »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2011, 05:14 »

Why don't you finish Power School and figure it out in Prototype.

Without reiterating my own long tale of how I went from conventional MMFR to MM1/SS ELT, yadda yadda yadda, knowing what your goal is as soon as you see it will help you achieve it,...

To wit, I figured out I wanted to be an ELT in Power School, to be an ELT you HAD to be in the academic top half of your class, all rates included, I made sure I was,....

Go hang out in the shop with the MM's and figure out what working with them is like. Go to the cube or wherever the ELT's hang out now and figure out what they are like.

Listen to the stories, ask the questions, figure out which clique you like better.

If I planned my life goals on how well I liked working with the clique of the moment I'd still be slogging cans in a grocery store or slicing choice cuts at the slaughterhouse,...

Unless you are going to be with a particular "clique" for the rest of your life what real benefit is there to "liking" them?!?

Go after what you think suits you and your temperament, give it your best, and see if it sticks,...

Camaraderie will come and go,...

My best friend over 8.25 years of USN service was a TM,...

....The job of an ELT, especially on a Carrier, is much different than that of a mechanical operator.....

I have never set foot on a carrier, the guy who works in the same office as I do nowadays was a carrier ELT, he was contemporary to my time in the USN, based on our conversations and others this is a true storyline,...

I was on an SSN and an SSBN, ELT was a collateral duty on both commands, even for the LELT, the LELT could bow out from M-Div maintenance when he was busy with RL Div obligations, funny thing, on both commands the M-Div LCPO was an ELT and on the SSN the bull nuke was also, no pulling the wool over their eyes concerning RL-Div management, heheheheh,...

My commendations and letters were all from M-Div work,...

Long story short, once upon a time an ELT had a good shot at being an M-Div'r first unless he was the underway ELT or the duty ELT,...

ELT's are just girlie MM's.  In fact they are just one letter removed from true femininity (e.g. ET).....

Jealousy is so ugly,.....

Once upon a time there was an MM-ELT on a 616 class SSBN who was also the diesel king, not exactly girly man material,....

;)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2011, 08:53 »
Just about the time I was losing faith in my shipmates....... the ELT thing surfaces once again.Was it Conan the Barbarian who once referred to ELTs as girly men ? Or was that the Terminator referring to Democrats ? Doesnt matter much really. As low as pole-vaulting over a paramecium at the bottom of the Marianas Trench to as high as the crows nest on the Enterprise (CVN-65 or NCC-1701 - you decide), the men(and women),the myths, the legends, the ELTs. Naysayers and wannabes be damned, members emeritus rejoice....the legacy endures. MM2/ELT USS Nimitz CVN-68. 80-84 BOHICA
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2011, 11:12 by fiveeleven »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2011, 09:06 »
Basically your take away from all this should be: Do your best in Power School, top half (overall) if possible. If you get that, it's easier to get ELT/Staff Pickup, if you don't, you'll need a waiver. It's better to meet the requirements for a job you decide not to take than not meet the requirements of the job you want.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Aug 15, 2011, 11:30 »
Because I was an ELT and I am an SRO.

Lol that's so misleading :p

ELTs... at least their primary nec was a real one..... ;)

MacGyver

« Reply #15 on: Aug 15, 2011, 02:43 »

"Hi I am an MM and nothing has brought me more pleasure and frustration than training an ELT ... "

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2011, 03:00 by MacGyver »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #16 on: Aug 15, 2011, 05:37 »
Basically your take away from all this should be: Do your best in Power School, top half (overall) if possible. If you get that, it's easier to get ELT/Staff Pickup, if you don't, you'll need a waiver. It's better to meet the requirements for a job you decide not to take than not meet the requirements of the job you want.

Bad Gouge.....

Today, we take ELTs from all GPAs.  There is a spread to ensure that not all the "smart" mechanics become ELTs.  No GPA waivers required. 

So, in some cases, a high GPA might hurt your chances.

(Note:  I am in no way suggesting not giving maximum effort)

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #17 on: Aug 15, 2011, 05:51 »
Lol that's so misleading :p

Misleading how? It is a statement of fact.

I was an ELT, now I am an SRO. Fact.

That isn't to say that by being an ELT you can be an SRO, it is meant to point out that people that are ELTs and SROs are awesome. Another statement of fact. :)

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Aug 15, 2011, 07:31 »
it is meant to point out that people that are ELTs and SROs are awesome. Another statement of fact. :)

Justin, you are a nerd!!  ROFL

I know the ELT's on the Enterprise were the ones we got dose readings from every month. So you can be a dosimetry tech too!  :P
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #19 on: Aug 15, 2011, 07:47 »

Justin, you are a nerd!!  ROFL

I know the ELT's on the Enterprise were the ones we got dose readings from every month. So you can be a dosimetry tech too!  :P

HA! I had a gold chevron first class ELT from The Big E come to the boat to take over LELT once and I was tasked with doing his check chem. So, when it is time for the primary, I say "you ready to go?" He said, "What? You guys really do primaries here?"  :-X :'( Needless to say, I understood then why he was a gold chevron first class. ;D I think that says more about the Big E than ELTs. :P  <3 [dink]

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Aug 15, 2011, 08:07 »
I think that says more about the Big E than ELTs. :P  <3 [dink]

But the Big E comes in handy when you need to find a sandbar or other submerged object...they've updated several sounding charts  :P

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Aug 16, 2011, 12:45 »
I had a gold chevron first class ELT from The Big E come to the boat to take over LELT

Sounds like you got a very serious underachiever there. I made second in 6 years as a corpsman, which everyone knows it isn't a nuke designated rating.

The Enterprise has been known to have some politically incorrect but great people.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2011/01/capt_owen_honors_runs_aground.html
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2011, 11:47 by navynukedoc »
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #22 on: Aug 16, 2011, 06:44 »

....There is a spread to ensure that not all the "smart" mechanics become ELTs.....

Someone finally figured that one out eh?!?!?!?!?

Broadzilla, The Higgs, Marlin, withroaj, Smooth Operator, Already Gone, hamsamich, yours truly and dozens others on these boards have known that for 30+ years,...

'bout dam time big Navy figured that one out,...

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL [dowave] ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL [dowave] [Flamer]
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2011, 06:45 by GLW »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #23 on: Aug 16, 2011, 06:52 »

Sounds like you got a very serious underachiever there. I made second in 6 years as a corpsman, hwich everyone knows it isn't a nuke designated rating.

The Enterprise has been known to have some politically incorrect but great people.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2011/01/capt_owen_honors_runs_aground.html

Prior to TLDs the Corpsman on the boats was responsible for developing the film badges, measuring the density and converting to exposure for gamma and counting the tracks for neutron. We helped on patrol only out of boredom. The original ELTs were corpsman I have worked with at least one of them a number of years back.
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2011, 07:05 by Marlin »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #24 on: Aug 16, 2011, 07:31 »
Someone finally figured that one out eh?!?!?!?!?

Broadzilla, The Higgs, Marlin, withroaj, Smooth Operator, Already Gone, hamsamich, yours truly and dozens others on these boards have known that for 30+ years,...

Me......not a former ELT :'( :( :'(
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?