Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Being an ELT

Author Topic: Being an ELT  (Read 41639 times)

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Being an ELT
« Reply #50 on: Aug 19, 2011, 03:30 »
First of all, I am a MM in NPS and I was considering trying to be an ELT. I was wondering what would be better for me in my future search of a job after the Navy. I guess there are really three routes I can take: secondary system MM, primary system MM or ELT. I understand that some of the decisions will not be mine to make, but still always nice to know what to expect.

Thanks

Back on topic:
Kicking butt in school and keeping a positive attitude may not land you ELT, but being thought of as lazy with a bad attitude will likely prevent it.  The best ELTs I knew were all good MMs first.  
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

drayer54

« Reply #51 on: Aug 19, 2011, 05:14 »
Back on topic:
Kicking butt in school and keeping a positive attitude may not land you ELT, but being thought of as lazy with a bad attitude will likely prevent it.  The best ELTs I knew were all good MMs first.  

It would also help if you find a way to become a woman.

Just saying, my experience tells me that your odds are much greater if you are a woman. ELT's used to be girls like Justin, now they are just girls like, well actual girls.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #52 on: Aug 19, 2011, 07:56 »
If you are serious, consider contacting NW member dub step girl via PM for some advice.  He seems to have figured out how to make the change...

Uncalled for dude.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #53 on: Aug 19, 2011, 09:15 »
Uncalled for dude.

Naw, it was funny.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #54 on: Aug 19, 2011, 09:24 »
Naw, it was funny.

Im all about rate bashing and the jokes, but Im not a fan of the personal attack level. I have a dark sense of humour, but I've never gotten a laugh out of taking things out on others. People will do what they want, Im not their parent. A little respect among each other here is all I ask for, and I dont think thats unreasonable.

Lets get back to rate bashing, shall we? :p

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #55 on: Aug 19, 2011, 09:41 »
I didn't see it as a personal attack. I guess I don't take things as seriously as you. To each their own.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #56 on: Aug 19, 2011, 10:36 »
I didn't see it as a personal attack. I guess I don't take things as seriously as you. To each their own.

I misread it, reread it, and laughed :) All is well. I read it as him poking fun at the new guy for being transgender is all. Im not down with that in any means.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #57 on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:38 »
Sorry, sometimes getting made fun of is a part of life.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #58 on: Aug 20, 2011, 04:07 »

well, as an ELT, Id expect you are more used to that then I am :p

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #59 on: Aug 21, 2011, 08:33 »
A wise man once told me, "If you can't take a joke, then don't be one."
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #60 on: Aug 23, 2011, 01:34 »
A wise man once told me, "If you can't take a joke, then don't be one."

Now that is good!
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #61 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:51 »
Don't be caught up in beig an ELT until you do some radcon during prototype. You may love chemistry but if you can't stand radcon then you will most likely hate your job.

I Just started elt school and already wanted to run over to 8g and go torque a valve or start up the Er after our first 2 days lectures :(

Seriously though, this stuff is pretty interesting, at times :P

PS. I don't know anything. Listen to the old guys, cough...

« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2012, 11:54 by Jechtm »
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

LaFeet

« Reply #62 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:57 »
As with each of the trades, ELT may offer challenges that the others do not.  I have qualified all that I can in the navy's nuke field and have an earned respect for all my fellow nukes (except the sluggards).

ELT may involve Radcon but do not fret.  Radcon is not the hardest thing that you might do.  Try catching a grape that was spit across the crews mess with only your mouth....  try sleeping on a frozen mattress.... or removing EB Green from body parts.

As an ET I pulled end bells and bearings off MG sets, changed risics and impellers on pumps and even had to perform primary/secondary chemistry analysis.   But I always loved the challenge of an actual reactor recovery or going from single to two loop ops....

Good luck,  work hard and thank you for your service.

Lafeet

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #63 on: Jan 07, 2012, 11:49 »
As with each of the trades, ELT may offer challenges that the others do not.  I have qualified all that I can in the navy's nuke field and have an earned respect for all my fellow nukes (except the sluggards).

ELT may involve Radcon but do not fret.  Radcon is not the hardest thing that you might do.  Try catching a grape that was spit across the crews mess with only your mouth....  try sleeping on a frozen mattress.... or removing EB Green from body parts.

As an ET I pulled end bells and bearings off MG sets, changed risics and impellers on pumps and even had to perform primary/secondary chemistry analysis.   But I always loved the challenge of an actual reactor recovery or going from single to two loop ops....

Good luck,  work hard and thank you for your service.

Lafeet

Agreed, and with everyone else's comments, make your decision far into prototype. If you let them(LELT) know your interested, they will find you when the time comes for them to stock up on ELT candidates.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?