Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Employment Opportunities

Author Topic: Employment Opportunities  (Read 8305 times)

Cash2012

Employment Opportunities
« on: Aug 18, 2011, 03:10 »
Hi all, I just found this site through google and am currently looking for advancement opportunities in the security industry. I have worked as a security officer for the past  3 and a half years at a non nuclear facility called ALCOA and was in the U.S.M.C for 4 years prior to working at my current location. I just finished my associates degree in business over the summer and am looking for a more challenging job in the security field that I hope could eventually blossom into a rewarding career.

I currently reside in central Indiana but am looking out of area too. I am looking for something in the nuclear field with added responsibilities and a sense of camaraderie as I currently work unsupervised with no co-workers :-[. I currently work unarmed security, unsure if it matters, but I assume most nuclear facilities have armed guards. I just thought I would post my vague ramblings and see if I could get any insight on what companies are even hiring or how you go about applying as I haven't had too much luck searching online right now.

I did turn in a resume to Exelon about a year ago, but didn't even get a call. Maybe I need to wait it out another 2 years and finish my B.S. while I continue at ALCOA. Well thanks for reading and any information would be great and I will continue to read all of the posts here!

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
Re: Employment Opportunities
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2011, 12:29 »
Is security something you wish to stay in? I mean do you plan on moving into a law enforcement position?

Lots of people apply for a limited position in security at these plants, and to be honest, I don't think they require degrees. Your time in the Corps would help, but not solidify it.

If you are thinking of doing 2 more years of school, why not get a degree in some kind of Nuke study? HP techs are needed in this field. There are many going into retirement that were the baby boomer generation. Plus I think the pay is a "bit" higher.  ;)

If you use the search bar above this thread, you will see others asking similar questions to yours and had very little to no luck.

There are schools that you can get a 2 year degree in RP online. You can web search them or look in our training section for referrals.

Welcome to Nukeworker, and good luck to you.

-Doc
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

tagline

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2011, 04:19 »
I was wondering where you got your info on "the many going into retirement" facts? Just interested what you base that statement on? Thanks in advance.

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2011, 05:25 »
I was wondering where you got your info on "the many going into retirement" facts? Just interested what you base that statement on? Thanks in advance.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002185894_boomers21.html

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5g-W4yeMsbNpknzofffLTFxOgKI2A

http://www.cbo.gov/doc.cfm?index=5195&type=0

Not to sound negative tagline, but your rating, and your posts seem to go hand in hand with an inability to not cause defense mechanisms to come online in others. You may want to change your approach.

And if you would like more articles, try an AARP magazine, or google.com, yahoo.com or ask.com searches. They give great information.

-Doc
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

NDR1

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2011, 06:16 »
I seem to remember Wackenhut being the big, everywhere security firm.  They are now g4s and their website is http://www.g4s.us/en-US/.  I would start there, but I'm no security guy so it's all really nothing more than a shot in the dark.

Good luck!

tagline

« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2011, 07:00 »

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002185894_boomers21.html

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5g-W4yeMsbNpknzofffLTFxOgKI2A

http://www.cbo.gov/doc.cfm?index=5195&type=0

Not to sound negative tagline, but your rating, and your posts seem to go hand in hand with an inability to not cause defense mechanisms to come online in others. You may want to change your approach.

And if you would like more articles, try an AARP magazine, or google.com, yahoo.com or ask.com searches. They give great information.

-Doc

Doc, I give no heed to anyones ratings. I just ask a question. Everyone knows that "the baby boomer generation" has people retiring. I was wondering what info you have that states many HP techs are retiring. There are many at Hanford that are able to retire and are not. And you did have the statement that "HP techs are needed in this field". If that is true why are so many Sr Techs on a waiting list for outages? I do not have all the answers that is why I ask questions.

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2011, 07:07 »
Doc, I give no heed to anyones ratings. I just ask a question. Everyone knows that "the baby boomer generation" has people retiring. I was wondering what info you have that states many HP techs are retiring. There are many at Hanford that are able to retire and are not. And you did have the statement that "HP techs are needed in this field". If that is true why are so many Sr Techs on a waiting list for outages? I do not have all the answers that is why I ask questions.

If you care to discuss this further we can start a new thread or you can PM me. This thread was addressing a question about his wanting to obtain a position in security with a plant.

tagline

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2011, 07:12 »
If you care to discuss this further we can start a new thread or you can PM me. This thread was addressing a question about his wanting to obtain a position in security with a plant.

Thats true, he was asking about a security position. That was one of the reasons I ask the question. I was just wondering why someone would try to point someone in a direction that many others are having a problem getting work in.

Cash2012

« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2011, 01:22 »
Thanks for the information all. I am looking for a position in the security field at this time while I finish my bachelors degree. I don't plan on being a security guard forever, and I would like to eventually look at other job opportunities outside of security. I have seen too many good employees, in all walks of life, looking up through the glass ceiling because they didn't complete college. I just assumed I'd have a good shot with my work experience as a security guard in a nuclear facility and then could transition over upon finishing school.

I am currently contracted through G4S at ALCOA and I will take a look at their site as I didn't know they had nuclear accounts.

Thanks for the information all!

tagline

« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2011, 03:07 »
Good luck Cash, there is a lot of good info on this site and you did come to the right place. Just beware of certain people who think they know it all. Some people think that karma makes you smart. Once again best of luck.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?