Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Car honeypot

Author Topic: Car  (Read 7462 times)

Dandan

Car
« on: Aug 20, 2011, 01:29 »
Hello all,  I am currently in the NUPOC program and getting ready to go to OCS soon.  I was looking for some answers regarding a car.  I know I will be moved around a lot during my first couple years so I am just trying to prepare. 

While I am at OCS, I do not plan on having a car with me. (Not even sure if it is allowed)

1.  After OCS, I will be in Charleston.  Am I allowed to have a car while I am in power school/prototype? 
2.  If I do prototype in N.Y, can I have a car?
3.  Can I have a car at sub school in Groton, CT?
4.  If I don't have a car, will everything I need be on the base?
5.  For those of you who did not have a car, did it stop you from doing things that you needed or wanted?
6.  If you don't have a car, does the Navy help you move from place to place? 
7.  What are your recommendations on having a car?

All answers are appreciated. 

Thank you for your time. 

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Car
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2011, 01:36 »
Officers arent allowed to have cars. Officers dont have any real responsibilty and dont do any of their own research, so why would they be allowed to drive?

Navy makes you walk as well. How do you think all our sailors are fit and in shape? :p

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2011, 01:36 by Starkist »

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2011, 02:15 »
1.  After OCS, I will be in Charleston.  Am I allowed to have a car while I am in power school/prototype?
Yes

2.  If I do prototype in N.Y, can I have a car?
Yes, in fact you better have one at either prototype

3.  Can I have a car at sub school in Groton, CT?
Yes

4.  If I don't have a car, will everything I need be on the base?
No, not at every base.

5.  For those of you who did not have a car, did it stop you from doing things that you needed or wanted?
Can't help here

6.  If you don't have a car, does the Navy help you move from place to place?
The Navy helps you move regardless of whether or not you have a car.  Several factors determine how much help they give.

7.  What are your recommendations on having a car?
Have something reliable that gets good gas mileage.  Depending on where you end up, you may have a long commute and/or it's easier to get around the bases I've been attached to with a smaller car.  Don't burden yourself with a car payment, if you can help it.  Once you get in, predatory car loans are big around all military bases.

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2011, 02:21 by DDMurray »
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

duke99301

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2011, 12:14 »
anyone know talk to to the main man who lives in his car so not to hurt feeling I not say his name but all the old techs know who he is get a car and  stay in it be cool.
oh sorry nothing to do with navy but since I never  served I can not say. But I worked a lot of AFB and those guys are cool had a lot of neat toys to play with. even got to see Missile launches. Now talk about it the nest guys are cool  hum never see them on here.
I not sure but to me a plane a plane a ships a ship and cars are cool somethimes we even get to nap in them. sold my vette and my motor home. bike is next and its time to relax and enjoy outages and have fun.
good luck on the car thing. when I was 18 I had and brand new Fire bird, but being a nuclear operator at the time did help.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2011, 02:33 »
anyone know talk to to the main man who lives in his car so not to hurt feeling I not say his name but all the old techs know who he is get a car and  stay in it be cool.
oh sorry nothing to do with navy but since I never  served I can not say. But I worked a lot of AFB and those guys are cool had a lot of neat toys to play with. even got to see Missile launches. Now talk about it the nest guys are cool  hum never see them on here.
I not sure but to me a plane a plane a ships a ship and cars are cool somethimes we even get to nap in them. sold my vette and my motor home. bike is next and its time to relax and enjoy outages and have fun.
good luck on the car thing. when I was 18 I had and brand new Fire bird, but being a nuclear operator at the time did help.

Sometimes,... I think there should be keyboard breathalyzers too,.... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2011, 02:49 »

no way, I wouldnt be allowed to post then :p

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2011, 03:11 »
no way, I wouldnt be allowed to post then :p

and the downside was what? ;)

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2011, 11:43 »
and the downside was what? ;)

BURRRNNN!!

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2011, 09:05 »

Hahahaha, I love u guys...
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?