Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NLO ---> SRO?

Author Topic: NLO ---> SRO?  (Read 27789 times)

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: NLO ---> SRO?
« Reply #25 on: Aug 30, 2011, 09:58 »
Most NLOs and COs don't become SROs. Not here, at least. Here, we make SROs from Engineers, Navy vets, and the occasional Chemistry Manager. It's pretty rare to see a CO/NLO decide to step up for the SRO position.

I can't speak for NLO pay, but the COs make more $/hr than I do (and that's straight time). Things to keep in mind:
1) I'm a very newly licensed SRO.
2) That doesn't take incentive bonuses into consideration.
3) License bonus is factored into CO hourly rate; whereas, for SROs it's separated as a specific amount per pay period (regardless of number of hours worked).
4) SRO pay raises tend to be higher => seniority means higher pay.

Please keep in mind that this is only specific information from the plant I work at. I hope the information is useful.

Just to appease my curiousity, can you share what your pay and bonus are? I've noticed on a few threads here, some sro pay is hugely unbalanced. Down here, CRSs start at 109k plus a pretty hefty bonus. I think the ROs make more initially with overtime, but not for long, and their bonus is peanuts compared to the sro bonuses.

Offline broovy

• Very Lite User
« Reply #26 on: Sep 02, 2011, 03:54 »
NLOs at our plant make anywhere from about $110k to $130k depending on amount of OT worked. 

There are not a large number of NLOs going instant SRO, but the option is definitely available.  It seems to me that NLOs end up making much better SROs (especially field supervisors) than any other path.  They have much better overall knowledge of the plant.  Engineers mostly are focused on a single system, while NLOs get experience with just about everything.

Someone also asked about how long it takes NLOs to get qualified...took us about 9-10 months total.

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
« Reply #27 on: Sep 02, 2011, 11:06 »
At your plant, how long does it usually take a NLO to get fully qualified?

I believe they are attempting to get the current class through in ~12 months.  The class thats just finishing up I believe took 14 months.

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2011, 02:09 »
Just a bit of an update and an inquiry for some advice.

I applied to an NLO opening for Exelon at the end of August.  I interviewed on October 13th in front of a panel of 4, which included a shift sup and an HR lady.  At the end of the interview the HR lady mentioned they had 1 or 2 more rounds of interviews to conduct because they are hiring for a class of 12 with an intended start date right after the new year.  In light of that, they also said that I might not hear back from them until the end of November or possibly the beginning of December.  The shift sup also handed me his card and said to give him a call if I ever had any questions.  On the 14th, I took the POSS and BMST.  I recently received my POSS results and was recommended. 

My question to you guys:

The waiting is kind of getting to me.  Would it be a bad idea to drop the shift supervisor an email or give him a call and check up on the status of their decision?  Or should I wait until November, like they said?  I am really hoping for this job, but I don't want to come off as not being able to follow directions.  Any information you can provide will greatly be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2011, 02:27 »
I am an advocate for keeping in touch. I would give him a call and show him that you're still interested, and have some small talk about the plant and things. Find some common ground. When I was fishing for my first job in the industry, I called the manager weekly to shoot the crap about football. I'm not saying to call him weekly, but in my view, calling him sometime is better than never.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:43 »
Since my last post about this matter, I was brought back to Limerick (4.5 hour drive for me) for a second interview; this time with the two head honchos of Ops.  After about 1.5 weeks, I heard back from the HR person, saying I was passed up for the class.

I had two interviews with the company I currently intern with for engineering positions at North Anna.  I have been contacted by Brunswick saying I was selected for an interview for NLO and should expect to be scheduled this week or next week.  I will have to contact them back and withdraw myself from consideration because last week I was offered one of the positions at North Anna and took it.

SRO is still one of my goals and I'm confident I will eventually find my way to class even if it takes a little longer than through ops.

Thanks to everyone for all the info and help you've provided along the way.  I'll be sure to stick around contribute where I can.

Daniel

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:21 »
Congratulations on the job!   

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?