Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu VA earthquake honeypot

Author Topic: VA earthquake  (Read 9044 times)

1RADPRO1

VA earthquake
« on: Aug 23, 2011, 07:26 »
Did the VA quake have any effect on the North Anna plants?

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
Re: VA earthquake
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2011, 09:12 »
Yes.  “Both reactors tripped automatically at the time of the quake and shut down.”

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/DC-Nuclear-Plant-Near-Epicenter-Shuts-Down-128261808.html

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2011, 08:24 »
According to USAToday a total of 10 plants in VA, MD, PA and NJ were taken of line as a precaution. They don't indicate if that is ten units or ten locations.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2011, 08:47 »
North Anna declared an Alert.

Plants declaring Unusual Events, which indicate a potential decrease in plant safety, include Peach Bottom, Three Mile Island, Susquehanna and Limerick in Pennsylvania; Salem, Hope Creek and Oyster Creek in New Jersey, Calvert Cliffs in Maryland, Surry in Virginia, Shearon Harris in North Carolina and D.C. Cook and Palisades in Michigan. All these plants continue to operate while plant personnel examine their sites.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2011, 12:15 »
According to USAToday a total of 10 plants in VA, MD, PA and NJ were taken of line as a precaution. They don't indicate if that is ten units or ten locations.
Calvert stayed up.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2011, 12:37 »
what a bunch of crap. I lived in japan for several years, 5.8 richters wouldnt even make the local paper. Im seeing the media blow this completely out of proportion.

Offline Kakashi86

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2011, 02:27 »
everyone is being very precautious over the whole Japan Incident though. so although some of use experience 5.8 earthquakes on the regular (i was stationed in guam for a while so im there too) other places like 3mile where I'm from never get really any earthquakes. except from the mile collapses or Centralia mines fires. lol. sorry local joke.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2011, 10:11 »
what a bunch of crap. I lived in japan for several years, 5.8 richters wouldnt even make the local paper. Im seeing the media blow this completely out of proportion.

It was felt far and wide and set off seismic alarms at nearly every east coast plant and shut two down..., therefore it isn't being blown out of proportion.

The east coast isn't japan or the west coast, in that the east coast bed rock is MUCH older and more dense and therefore a smallish quake like a 5.8 is felt far and wide AND has the potential to do much more damage considering building and the like aren't built to any seismic standards here (outside of the nuke plants).

Blowing it out of proportion? Naw, a 5.8 on the East coast is unusual and should make the news. Sensationalizing? Sure, I'll grant they do some of that.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2011, 12:06 »

Blowing it out of proportion? Naw, a 5.8 on the East coast is unusual and should make the news. Sensationalizing? Sure, I'll grant they do some of that.

I guess thats a better word for it :p

I just think its a little ridiculous how spun up they are getting, not one person died or was seriously injured, and nothing catastrophic was done, they are just freaking out because of japan if you ask me.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2011, 12:07 »
Well yeah, some are. Some even went so far as to say things like "narrowly averted a fukushima." Ridiculous.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2011, 04:03 »
Well yeah, some are. Some even went so far as to say things like "narrowly averted a fukushima." Ridiculous.

Im just waiting for CNN or Fox to bring on Dr. KooKoo and talk about it :p

Offline Zog

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2011, 10:57 »
Didn't they bring on Bill Nye the Science guy during the Japan incident as thier nuclear expert?

Kathy6592

« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:20 »
I was called in at North Anna for the quake, there was cosmetic damage. But none to the reactors.  The staff there is great!!  Loved working there and will go back for spring outage.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?