Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Applying for a job honeypot

Author Topic: Applying for a job  (Read 3973 times)

Offline VVilly

• Very Lite User
Applying for a job
« on: Aug 26, 2011, 01:13 »
Should I apply for an entry level job at a plant where I have worked before as an intern in the department they are offering a full time job. Knowing that if I get selected to take the MASS I will likely fail it because I once took it through EEI not though a facility and did not do so well.

I have not practiced for the MASS or POSS tests in a long time and I know if I get selected to take it again I won't have much time to study for it and possibly fail again. I don't want to fail this test again especially not at this facility.

Any advice?
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2011, 01:29 by VVilly »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Applying for a job
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2011, 01:27 »
I know that this is obvious, but I'd say it's time to start studying & practicing! 

Here's a great place to start: http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,250.0.html
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline VVilly

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2011, 01:42 »
Thanks for the link. Wow the study guide pages are way better than the practice tests facility websites offer.

So say I do get a chance to take the MASS test again fairly soon study real hard and still fail at a facility. What happens than, would I just have to wait 90 days and when another job pops up that I know I have a chance at getting re apply and try again at that facility?
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2011, 02:06 by VVilly »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2011, 07:47 »
It depends on the utility.  Some only let you take the test every 90 days, some every 30 days.  Most only let you take it a certain number of times, 3 comes to mind for my utility.

How about this?  I understand preparing for the worst & knowing options.  Take a look through that section.  Don't look just at the practice tests, but also at the experiences that others have posted throughout that section.  Use that great resource to start working right away to prepare for a successful test result and your future.

It sounds simple and I do realize that it's not.  14 years into my career my job was cut and with little prep I had to retake the POSS test along with a co-worker who hadn't taken it in almost 30 years.  We both passed & I think you can too.  The biggest key is practice, practice, practice.  (a little self-confidence helps too!  ;)

Pass off that failure as a mulligan knowing that you can do better.  If you run into questions don't hesitate to ask them.  You'll be expected to do some research first, but if you're willing to do some work there are people who will be more than happy to offer help & hints right here!
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?