Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 3.1 pay rates
honeypot

Author Topic: 3.1 pay rates  (Read 17068 times)

atomicarcheologist

3.1 pay rates
« on: Aug 29, 2011, 11:17 »
After scanning pages of threads, I cannot find a listing on pay rates.  I'm primarily interested in 3.1 HP rates, but I also need rates on associated occupations (JR, Deconner, Rad Eng, etc.) that are current or near to current.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

atomicarcheologist

Re: 3.1 pay rates
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2011, 02:14 »
http://www.nukeworker.com/job/jobfind.php?action=search&jids[]=100
http://nuclearstreet.com/jobs/jobs.aspx
http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/home
http://www.google.com/search?q=indeed.com+jobs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Two or three minutes of research.
I'm not looking for a job, I'm trying to find out current rate of pay.  The url given that most closely resembles my parameters give the following:

Average 3.1 Hp Tech Salaries
Currently there is no salary data for 3.1 Hp Tech.
Salary Information
This free salary calculator uses salary data from millions of job listings indexed by Simply Hired's job search engine. This salary comparisons feature allows job seekers to get the information required to make important career decisions and negotiate salary ranges.

However, they do give a place to chase which gave the following data;

Base Salary : $43,881 to $70,209

Next Step:
Add your years of experience

So, is this rate relevant in the market today?

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2011, 04:05 »
Sad to say but pay rates have not increased much in the last 3-4 years. Results of bad economy and more people returning to the industry because of lost jobs in other sectors.
3.1 Sr. Tech= $24.00 - $28.00 depending on the utility

Offline RTRT

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2011, 06:51 »
At STP for in house: Junior RP I       28.89             
                               Junior RP II      29.67
                            Associate RP I     30.45
                            Associate RP II    31.62
                            RP Tech I            32.79
                            RP Tech II           33.96
                            Senior RP I          35.14
                            Senior RP II         37.48
                     Journeyman RP Tech    39.04

For Contractors: Non Local/Outage

Adv. R P Tech.        27.87
                                  Sr. R P Tech.          26.77
                                  Associate R P Tech. 25.68
                                  Jr. R P Tech.             20.70 

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2011, 11:35 »
I don't know anyone who pays less than 25 bucks an hour for a power plant outage 3.1 tech.  Duke power and brunswick pay that I think.  Brunswick may be less.  If you add in bonuses and the higher paying plants, I bet the straight time average is somewhere just under 30 bucks an hour.

Offline shupack

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2011, 09:47 »
I've averaged 28.50 the last 3 cycles (3.1 over 7).  Commanche Peak is paying me 33/hr next month  :)

let the bidding wars commence!

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2011, 11:17 »
The pay rate for Comanche actually went down from the spring outage. So I'm not sure the bidding war has begun. It is a nice plant to work but the outages are VERY short. The other company paid a bonus whereas the new company does not and the result is less money in your pocket when you finish the job.
Call me old fashioned, but I have never gone back to a plant for less money than I made the last time I worked there. More than 80 outages and the formula still works.

Content1

« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2011, 03:59 »
Does anyone have a rule of thumb for what each utility is paying 3.1 HP's?  I have heard it has not changed much during the recession since Obama came in back in 2009.  Are 3.1's getting enough work nowadays, or are non-traveling jobs comparable? I left traveling back in 2009 due to short outages and pay stagnation.  I was getting 3 week outages maybe 4 times a year, not enough to survive.  It got to the point where I would need a second job to do between outages.  Has anything changed today?  Has any new nuclear plants got off the ground?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2011, 02:03 »
Has any new nuclear plants got off the ground?

No.  They are firmly on the ground. -- Construction has started on a couple, but nothing will be operational for 6-10 years.

Outages haven't changed.

Pay hasn't changed.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2011, 09:51 »
The pay rate for Comanche actually went down from the spring outage. So I'm not sure the bidding war has begun. It is a nice plant to work but the outages are VERY short. The other company paid a bonus whereas the new company does not and the result is less money in your pocket when you finish the job.
Call me old fashioned, but I have never gone back to a plant for less money than I made the last time I worked there. More than 80 outages and the formula still works.

I wouldn't be so quick to equate the lack of bonus with the change in company.  This fall season is a dry well.  There is no need to offer a bonus anywhere when they are turning away some of the best techs because outages are all staffed.

As far as the bidding war goes... maybe it would be best if that didn't happen.  If it starts, the ones bidding will be the people looking for work.  That can only mean one thing - wages going back to the 1995 rate at least until spring.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline shupack

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2011, 02:03 »

I didn't realize it was less than last outage, this is my first trip here.  Yes, it's short but I'd rather make the same total money in less time.  This season is LIGHT on outages, CP was the only one that I picked up.  I know a few guys that didn't get anything this fall.

By bidding war, I meant companies bidding UP wages to get staffed.  Enough old guys retiring to keep us short-handed across the board :)

Offline RTRT

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2011, 08:05 »
At STP the pay rates are stated in the union contract. Next raise for contractors is 10/31/11.

For Contractors: Non Local/Outage

Adv. R P Tech.        28.78
                                  Sr. R P Tech.          27.64
                                  Associate R P Tech. 26.51
                                  Jr. R P Tech.           21.37 

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2011, 06:04 »
I didn't realize it was less than last outage, this is my first trip here.  Yes, it's short but I'd rather make the same total money in less time.  This season is LIGHT on outages, CP was the only one that I picked up.  I know a few guys that didn't get anything this fall.

By bidding war, I meant companies bidding UP wages to get staffed.  Enough old guys retiring to keep us short-handed across the board :)

Don't look for the bidding war to start this coming spring.  They finally gave us what we asked for - the outages are spread pretty evenly across the season.  I don't think there will be more than 10 - 12 simultaneous outages at any given time this spring.  There will be package deals of two, three or four consecutive outages for some people.    With this schedule, they can do quite well staffing with only the people they have, not offer bonuses (there will be bonuses somewhere because there always are, but not like they were this past spring) not raise rates, and not worry any more than they ever did if you and I like it or not.
Yes, it would be nice if they were bidding up, but they don't need to do that this season.  There aren't enough old guys retiring to make a dent.  Even if they did, who would notice?  Well, that's not fair.  Certain people will definitely be missed if they decide to pack it in.  The paradox here is that there are only two kinds of people who may retire - the ones who will make your job harder by not being there, and the ones who won't be missed at all.  The problem?  You just can't make that second group go away, and they are the reason why wages do, and will continue to, suck.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

LaFeet

« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2011, 02:41 »
Outage wise I believe I am out of the loop.  I have managed to sneak into a better desk job (benefits and all) and no longer need the 72+ hours/week schedules.  I will miss the people out there though.  I would have loved to gone back to IP, Cook, and even Fort Calhoun.  But I think I may only be a part time tech from this point on.

Good luck all and I hope you all get raises.

Content1

« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:30 »
Don't look for the bidding war to start this coming spring.  They finally gave us what we asked for - the outages are spread pretty evenly across the season.  I don't think there will be more than 10 - 12 simultaneous outages at any given time this spring.  There will be package deals of two, three or four consecutive outages for some people.    With this schedule, they can do quite well staffing with only the people they have, not offer bonuses (there will be bonuses somewhere because there always are, but not like they were this past spring) not raise rates, and not worry any more than they ever did if you and I like it or not.
Yes, it would be nice if they were bidding up, but they don't need to do that this season.  There aren't enough old guys retiring to make a dent.  Even if they did, who would notice?  Well, that's not fair.  Certain people will definitely be missed if they decide to pack it in.  The paradox here is that there are only two kinds of people who may retire - the ones who will make your job harder by not being there, and the ones who won't be missed at all.  The problem?  You just can't make that second group go away, and they are the reason why wages do, and will continue to, suck.
It sounds like the free market is at work here.  Since you just can't pull workers off the street, you work with the available trained people and those few new ones making the 3.1 status.  It is a horrible economy, and many are sitting out in unemployment land or going to other fields.  There are enough left to supply the outages, and if they ever had a shortage, they could make spot bonuses to attract retirees.  I found I made so little I was planning two careers if I had stayed on the road, kind of like the Egyptian, who worked on Pyramids when the Nile flooded, then back to the farms to plant their crops.  The companies don't care if you have enough work or not, so it is up to the worker to figure a survival strategy. 

Offline spikeree

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:55 »
I just started a full time job 62k/year full benefits, before i am qualified.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?