Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Former and Current NUPOC member input wanted. honeypot

Author Topic: Former and Current NUPOC member input wanted.  (Read 8743 times)

Offline mcwalton24

• Very Lite User
Former and Current NUPOC member input wanted.
« on: Sep 09, 2011, 09:37 »
Hey,
I am a Sophomore at Penn State majoring in Mech E.

Im torn on whether to apply for the NUPOC program and persure a career in the Navy or peruse a private sector job....

NUPOC seems pretty incising but I am never sure with the Military/ Government.

If there are any former or current NUPOC members that could help set straight the pro's and con's and the reality of NUPOC

Would you recommend this program to your son?

Thanks
Matt

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Former and Current NUPOC member input wanted.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2011, 09:50 »
Hey,
I am a Sophomore at Penn State majoring in Mech E.

Im torn on whether to apply for the NUPOC program and persure a career in the Navy or peruse a private sector job....

If there are any former or current NUPOC members that could help set straight the pro's and con's and the reality of NUPOC

Would you recommend this program to your son?

Thanks
Matt

Why should you be an officer? Why should you be a Nuke? What do you bring to the table?

Offline mcwalton24

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2011, 05:24 »
I'm dedicated, and hardworking. I have leadership skills and I always get the job done correctly, no questions asked.
I think this makes me qualified for any engineering job and my family's military history make me qualified for NUPOC....
that being said I dont know if I should do it

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2011, 06:08 »

I think this makes me qualified for any engineering job and my family's military history make me qualified for NUPOC....

This isn't the Royal Navy of 1805, we don't obtain commissions by patrilineage. 

Offline mcwalton24

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2011, 06:28 »
ok that is an irrelevant comment to the question I posed earlier...

If there is anyone who would like to give me productive and helpful insights to NUPOC?

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2011, 07:19 »

Not sure that makes much sense.  However, the bonuses and benefits of the program do sound pretty enticing, don't they.

I'm also unclear as to what you're unsure about.  The program bonuses, benefits, admission requirements, training, and service requirements are pretty well laid out in all of the NUPOC literature.

There are plenty of ex nuclear navy members on this board, even some former and maybe current NUPOC individuals.  There's also plenty of discussion about being in the nuclear navy - enlisted and officer.  Search the boards, I'm sure you'll find some good info.

From the first impression, though, if you're that torn about going military or civilian I'd suggest you stay civilian.

To answer the original question: yes.

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2011, 10:28 »
I'm dedicated, and hardworking. I have leadership skills and I always get the job done correctly, no questions asked.

Dear Matt,
You did not “get the job done correctly” when it comes to using correct spelling and grammar in your postings, nor did you show that you are dedicated, hardworking, or have leadership skills. There is too much incongruity in your writing for that to have happened.
Nobody writes perfectly all the time, but I think you will get better responses to your postings if you took the time to write them correctly and coherently. I want you to succeed, so please take this as constructive criticism.
Bigchris

Offline greenbean

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2011, 02:36 »
I'm currently in the NUPOC program.

I joined the program because I first of all wanted to serve my country during this time of war. Now I see people joining because they can't get jobs other places. The military is not a job. Its not a 9 to 5 thing where you get to go home at the same time each day or where you can flip off your boss when you are mad, quit, and go somewhere else to work. The Navy is going to take a commitment to serve through a give period of years regardless of the good or bad aspects of the position your are appointed to hold.

If you want to serve your country first and foremost, then you look at the public service and military careers. Once you know that service is your primary motivation, then I think you have made your decision.

I know smart guys who are going to private industry and were able to pick-up scholarships, internships, and work to pay for their degrees. They will have much more flexibility in some aspects than I will, however they will not be a part of the Nuclear Navy, the traditions, or the community that I will ultimately become a part of. Navy Nukes contribute heavily to the nuclear industry as many good men and women have come from the military ranks to power the civilian sector.

You are the only one whom can determine your motivation. Don't join NUPOC for the money... there isn't enough money in the world to substitute for time away from loved ones. Ask your family why they served and see if your ideas and motivations align with theirs.

Once all that is said, if you still want to be a Navy Officer, go for it. I now have several stories of success and a handful of good candidates who were not chosen for the position. You'll need to prove your academic ability, work ethic, and command presence in order to gain a commission.

Make great grades in school. If you fail at school you won't have many options. If you do great in school you'll find yourself in a good position.

Also feel free to search the forums. There are several NUPOC links here. You can also check out http://www.nukewarriors.com

Work Hard.
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2011, 02:38 by greenbean »
neutrons... Neutrons... NEUTRONS!

Offline podunk_engr

• Lurker
WE ARE... PENN STATE
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2011, 12:54 »
I too go to Penn State, I am a junior in Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering. Seeing as I go to DC for interview in about 6 weeks I think I should be able to answer the whole "why" bit, as I'm sure Donald will ask me.

I want to join NUPOC because I do not want a job, I want a calling. I have three older brothers, ages 28, 30 and 32 and while I love them, I do not want my life to be anything like I've seen theirs' develop. I do not want to go into industry and I never want to be cooped up at a desk. I want to apply engineering, not just think about it. Working in a submarine serves what I want from life just as much as it serves my country.

Money is no reason to do NUPOC, engineering students have no problem finding loans (Federal or private). There are several NUPOC's walking around PSU, and I hope to be the next one. If you would like to meet up to study or would like me to put you in touch with one of my friends in NUPOC just message me.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: WE ARE... PENN STATE
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2011, 11:41 »
as I'm sure Donald will ask me.

::)
I recommend not referring to the Admiral as "Donald" when you go for your interview.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2011, 09:57 »

If you don't ask questions, you shouldn't be a navy nuke, much less an officer. As either, you should be asking questions if you don't understand, not blindly doing what you're told.

Offline podunk_engr

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2011, 01:01 »
GC; Very good catch.

Btw, any input on my "why be a nuke?" answer? I've been rehearsing and trying to polish it, but I keep catching myself edging towards cliche which I would rather avoid. I mean my thought process is nothing but excitement and the love of rising to a challenge, but I fear the Admiral hears that too often. Any suggestions on how to stand out in a very similar crowd?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2011, 01:04 »
"Chicks dig neutrons."

No balls.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?