Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Officer with the wrong major... honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke Officer with the wrong major...  (Read 15387 times)

Offline zmorgn

• Very Lite User
Nuke Officer with the wrong major...
« on: Sep 09, 2011, 10:38 »
Hello all, I'm new but I've done my best to search the forums.  They've been great to answer most of my questions, but I've got a unique one for you (I hope... please berate-me-not if I'm wrong).

I'm very interested becoming an SWO.  Let's assume I understand the level of difficulty, demands, requirements, etc etc.  My issue is I got my bachelors in business marketing with no physics, chemistry, or calculus classes.  If I understand correctly, I need at least a years worth of calculus (some sources say I'd need a year of physics as well). 

These are my questions:
-Do I need to find some community college where I can take some calculus and physics classes or does the Navy accept CLEP?
-Would they accept any kind of accelerated class?
-Would they even accept classes from a community college (I'm not certain how the accreditation thing works for schools)?
-Has anyone ever encountered a similar situation in their experience? What do?

Now, let's think positively here, folks.  Let's think of how to make it work instead of why it won't work.

Thank you for any and all advice you can provide! I really appreciate it!

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
Re: Nuke Officer with the wrong major...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2011, 10:57 »
I know personally the last command I was at, the ESO office offered CLEP exams right on base. But that was 12 years ago, and I didn't take calc either. I would say see your ESO office rep and find out which ones you can take. If not you can do it online with just about any major university these days.

If you are patient Gamecock will eventually pick up on this and he most likely would have the best advice on this issue.

Welcome to nukeworker! [dowave]
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2011, 08:04 »
Hello all, I'm new but I've done my best to search the forums.  They've been great to answer most of my questions, but I've got a unique one for you (I hope... please berate-me-not if I'm wrong).

I'm very interested becoming an SWO.  Let's assume I understand the level of difficulty, demands, requirements, etc etc.  My issue is I got my bachelors in business marketing with no physics, chemistry, or calculus classes.  If I understand correctly, I need at least a years worth of calculus (some sources say I'd need a year of physics as well). 

These are my questions:
-Do I need to find some community college where I can take some calculus and physics classes or does the Navy accept CLEP?
-Would they accept any kind of accelerated class?
-Would they even accept classes from a community college (I'm not certain how the accreditation thing works for schools)?
-Has anyone ever encountered a similar situation in their experience? What do?

Now, let's think positively here, folks.  Let's think of how to make it work instead of why it won't work.

Thank you for any and all advice you can provide! I really appreciate it!

I'm assuming you want to be a SWO-nuke, or you'd post somewhere else  but I'll respond to both SWO and SWO-nuke aspirations.

I know you want someone to be positive..... but I cannot.

You are a non-technical major..therefore you aren't eligible for NUPOC even if you get your calculus and physics done, so this rules out SWO-nuke

OCS is not taking anymore folks this FY, and there are precious few openings avalable for next FY....so this rules out SWO.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline zmorgn

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2011, 09:55 »
Well... that sucks. But thanks for your input anyway, I appreciate it!

Offline zmorgn

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2011, 12:12 »
I didn't give up!

GC, I took your words to heart and tried to think of what options I might have.  I ended up going to my recruiter to get his take on the situation.  Ultimately, it seemed like an officer route wasn't an option unless I went enlisted first.  He told me that if I could get into the Nuke program I could apply for the officer training pipeline after Nuclear Power School or after Nuclear Prototype School.  At this point I'm not even sure if I want to become an officer (I'll prowl the forum to learn more about that).

I took the ASVAB yesterday.  It was the computer version and only after I took it did I learn it was an adaptive test... wtf.  I managed a 99 AFQT and I'm not being modest when I say I really did not see that coming.  I will need to take the NFQT because I just turned 25 and my last math class was a while ago.  Regardless of what some of you curmudgeons may think, I'm going to study for it.  I studied for the ASVAB and it paid off, so I'm going to study for the NFQT as well.

I do have a question for you sagacious fellows though.  My recruiter started talking very fast when he was telling me the next steps.  I think about 90% of what he said washed straight over me.  I remember he said that he could have me in the Navy by Monday and that when I come up to MEPS next, if I'd passed the NFQT of course, I should find out what positions are available and if a nuke slot isn't open, I should take something else just to get my foot in the door. 

Here are my queries:

Will it reflect badly on me or hurt my chances if I try to slow things down a bit? I'd really like to take my time to consider my options and by no means would I like to have to decide by Monday.  Plus... I'd like some time to study.

Also, from this and many other sources, I've cultivated a suspicion of entering the service in a field that you did not want.  Is this whole "foot in the door" thing just a way to get me locked in? I'd really prefer to know what my job possibilities are and not just trust it to chance that something would open up down the line.  Is that unrealistic?

Anyway, sorry for the long blurb but you guys are really helpful so thanks again!

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2011, 12:47 »
Take your time!  It won't hurt you.

Do NOT let them talk you into going into another field to get your foot in the door.  Figure out what you want and go for that, with a 99 on your ASVAB you should be able to get whatever program you want as long as there are openings. 

Don't go enlisted with the idea of getting picked up for an officer program later on.  It's not impossible, but I saw several people do that very thing and then they spent the next six years of their life pissed off when they didn't get selected for the program.

It's getting near the end of the year and it sounds like the station might be behind on their recruitment goals.  Don't let them talk you into something you don't want!
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

drayer54

« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2011, 12:51 »
I should take something else just to get my foot in the door.  
How does that make sense?

(Listen to Neutron Herder, good advice there) +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2011, 12:53 by Drayer »

Offline DockeTT

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2011, 02:23 »
PM sent.

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2011, 07:04 »
JUST SAY NO!!

Offline zmorgn

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2011, 10:33 »
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. I'll be pumping the brakes with the recruiter. 

Do you guys know if they have any indication of when nuke slots open up?

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2011, 07:08 »
They probably do, to some extent, so if you say that's the only thing you're interested in, they'll find out. Just let the recruiter do that part of the leg work.

Offline ToadSuck

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2011, 09:42 »
Listen, I was a enlisted nuke recruiter for 2 years and a nuke officer recruiter for 2 years from 2006-2010...

You can be a non-tech major as long as you have the physics and calculus.

NO they will not accept CLEP for these credits.

To be competitive, you need to have around a 3.0 GPA and no other issues.

I believe whole-heartedly in the nuke enlisted program, but don't let anyone fool you. Once you have a bachelor's already...the other college programs are out once you have enlisted (with the exceptions of Tuition Assistance and Medical options). You can still apply for OCS or other officer commissioning program, but not one the sends you to college first (except for Hospital Admin/Medical stuff).

Hope this helps.

Most of the info is out there you just have to actually read it for yourself. Ask the recruiter for the Officer Programs regulations manual and read the chapters that apply to you. You would be surprised at how many people that are supposed to be the experts don't know what is actually written in the rules.

IPREGEN

« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2011, 07:02 »
Listen, I was a enlisted nuke recruiter for 2 years and a nuke officer recruiter for 2 years from 2006-2010...

Everyone that has ever joined the Navy knows the value of "Recruiter speak"

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2011, 08:46 »
Everyone that has ever joined the Navy knows the value of "Recruiter speak"

I was a Executive Offficer (XO) of a Army Nuclear Biological Chemical Training Company.  We had abouit 10 out of about 1000 students in the little over a year I was XO be told by their recruiter that go to your training after basic and put in for OCS if you want to be an Officer.   Only 1 passed their Officer Selection test.  

If you had a real useful major and a masters degree in it such as Toxicology or Nuclear Physics,  You did not have to go to OCS and were direct commisioned an O-2.

It was funny when I had a friend from Vanderbilt be direct  commisioned and I had to show him how to use dimes and quarters to put his rank, and other insignia on his dress uniform.

I would make another comment concerning majors in college, but I do not want to be banished to the Poly-Sci  Goldmembers board so I will resist.

Direct Commision Link>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_commission_officer#U.S._Navy_Direct_Commission_Officers

I see where the OSB test has went away.  Officer selection is now based on the GT score of the ASVAB for the Army.  Max on GT is from 130-160 depending on year it was taken. 
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2011, 09:50 by thenukeman »

Offline ToadSuck

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2011, 10:03 »
There is still a test for officers except for nuclear and medical...(Navy)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2011, 12:51 »
There is still a test for officers except for nuclear and medical...(Navy)

To say there isn't a "test" for nuclear officer  is not exactly being honest... ::)
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline ToadSuck

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:41 »
There isn't an officer test for accession...You complete your package, get professionally recommended by NRC, and then go interview with the admiral.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2011, 07:48 »
There isn't an officer test for accession...You complete your package, get professionally recommended by NRC, and then go interview with the admiral.

The interview consists of at least two technical interviews prior to seeing the admiral.

So, I say again......

To say there isn't a "test" for nuclear officer  is not exactly being honest... ::)

I guess honesty varies depending on position....recruiters it seems have a lower standard.

Cheers,
GC

Offline DockeTT

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:35 »

I guess honesty varies depending on position....recruiters it seems have a lower standard.

Cheers,
GC

I don't know if I'd go that far (at least heaping all recruiters together)...  Maybe you could say that the Navy picks and chooses what information to pass along.  It's hard to pass on the truth if the Navy never tells you...

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2011, 12:49 »
The interview consists of at least two technical interviews prior to seeing the admiral.

So, I say again......

Cheers,
GC

Oh ... cmon gamecock, what do YOU know about NR and being an officer.... pssh...

[Flamer] [stir] [devious] [jerry]

Offline DockeTT

• Light User
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2011, 09:13 »
Oh ... cmon gamecock, what do YOU know about NR and being an officer.... pssh...

[Flamer] [stir] [devious] [jerry]

Haha, good point.  I'm not saying that he doesn't know what he's talking about relating to the Navy Nuclear Program, he obviously does.  I'm just saying that a lot of the information in NR never makes it outside NR.  To say that the regular recruiters don't have standards because they don't know this information would be far from the truth.  You can't have low standards for not passing on information that was never passed to you.  I think we all know and can relate about how the flow of information in the Navy works....

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2011, 11:41 »
Haha, good point.  I'm not saying that he doesn't know what he's talking about relating to the Navy Nuclear Program, he obviously does.  I'm just saying that a lot of the information in NR never makes it outside NR.  To say that the regular recruiters don't have standards because they don't know this information would be far from the truth.  You can't have low standards for not passing on information that was never passed to you.  I think we all know and can relate about how the flow of information in the Navy works....

:p

Oh yes.... yes we do...

LaFeet

« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2011, 10:28 »
Wait....  there is a flow of information in NR ???????????

WHOA, when did they start that? >:(

Offline zmorgn

• Very Lite User
« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2011, 06:55 »
Hey team, another update.

I finally got up to take the NAPT (I think that's what it's called now) today and got 71/80 so unless my age waiver or something else fails me then I'll be able to join the ranks soon!

I just wanted to thank you guys for your sagacious advice.  Now I'm off to prowl the other posts to learn about what comes next.

Offline ToadSuck

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2011, 09:15 »
Age waiver is one of the hardest waivers to get...it doesn't necessarily make sense to me, but it's not up to me. Age was by far the wicket that was the hardest to defeat when I was a nuke recruiter...

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2011, 06:06 »
The final test to be a nuc officer is they put a bottle of beer in front of you and you have to turn it down cause you would rather have a "front lobotomy then a bottle in front of me"!

Think about it and say it a few times you will get it!
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?