Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu My "nuclear journey" thus far..... honeypot

Author Topic: My "nuclear journey" thus far.....  (Read 73359 times)

Offline yota

• Moderate User
Re: My "nuclear journey" thus far.....
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2012, 01:07 »
Today, I found out the date for my FOB and also found out that I got picked up for ELT. They tried to get me to sign sub-vol papers, to no avail, but I held out and got what I wanted regardless. Today was a good day!

31 signatures, 100% exam, board- see y'all on the other side!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2012, 11:03 »
Today, I found out the date for my FOB and also found out that I got picked up for ELT. They tried to get me to sign sub-vol papers, to no avail, but I held out and got what I wanted regardless. Today was a good day!

Your tour of duty will be easier and less challenging on a target. I understand the advantages in access to schooling etc. but the experience on the boats can't be matched on a carrier. Having worked in a number of environments in CivLant, power plant, DOE, ACoE, and other cleanup/decommisioning projects my experience is that more bubbleheads are in advanced positions than surface sailors.

All of that aside you are still in a much more challenging program than the average bear and thank you for your sevice.

"That's just my opinion I could be wrong." D.M.

[2cents]

I do have a very clear bias  ;)
Ex MM1(SS) LELT/EWS and current Base Commander of a United States Submarine Veterans Chapter.

[navy sub]

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2012, 10:10 »

31 signatures, 100% exam, board- see y'all on the other side!

Congratulations!

Don't worry about not going subs, only manly men belong there. :P

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2012, 12:30 »
Thanks for the kind words.  :)

I wanted the best chance at getting stationed in Norfolk to be close to my son, who is in NC, when I am not out at sea. If not for this, I would have considered going subs but having a better chance at watching my flesh and blood grow up took precedence over any desire I've ever had to go underway on a submarine.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2012, 10:50 »
Thanks for the kind words.  :)

I wanted the best chance at getting stationed in Norfolk to be close to my son, who is in NC, when I am not out at sea. If not for this, I would have considered going subs but having a better chance at watching my flesh and blood grow up took precedence over any desire I've ever had to go underway on a submarine.

I would think a "Boomer" would better facilitate that but there is always the risk that you get a "Fast Attack" if you volunteer.

Good luck either way.

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #80 on: Jun 03, 2012, 05:11 »
My FOB is scheduled for tomorrow at 1600. Hopefully I come up with more smart things to say/write than dumb ones.

*nervous*  :D

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #81 on: Jun 03, 2012, 05:22 »
My FOB is scheduled for tomorrow at 1600. Hopefully I come up with more smart things to say/write than dumb ones.

*nervous*  :D

Good luck, many of us felt that way.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #82 on: Jun 03, 2012, 08:04 »
Good luck, many of us felt that way.

all except 'zilla, heheheheheheh,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #83 on: Jun 04, 2012, 07:16 »
Qualified Mechanical Operator.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #84 on: Jun 04, 2012, 08:32 »

Booyah!

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #85 on: Jun 04, 2012, 09:18 »
Congrats!!
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #86 on: Aug 23, 2012, 08:13 »
Week 2 of death by power point comes to a close tomorrow. Who knew Chemistry and RadCon lectures could be so "exciting"?!  [pillow]

On a more serious note, I do believe that I am going to like being a surface ELT. This stuff is WAY more interesting overall than turning valves and starting pumps. None of the information is really "new" to me at this point, it's all just more in depth. Knowing how to qualify and get check-outs efficiently now doesn't hurt either...

drayer54

« Reply #87 on: Aug 23, 2012, 08:21 »
On a more serious note, I do believe that I am going to like being a surface ELT. This stuff is WAY more interesting overall than turning valves and starting pumps. None of the information is really "new" to me at this point, it's all just more in depth. Knowing how to qualify and get check-outs efficiently now doesn't hurt either...

Why start pumps and operate valves when you can show up early and make red tape art to set up for the maintenance and then watch the real men operate valves and operate the equipment while you draw your [pillow] maps?
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2012, 09:40 by Drayer »

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #88 on: Aug 30, 2012, 07:50 »
Well, it happened today. I failed my first test of the pipeline, and I literally bombed it. :( The upside is that I, along with 14 of my 31 classmates, was made fully aware of where my weaknesses lie and have an opportunity to upgrade my knowledge accordingly. I thought I had it under control; I was WRONG.

Note to any mechanics who get picked up for ELT in the future: be ready to fully understand and appropriately use any and all knowledge, including the myriad of base equations, sample requirements, and RadCon on a (relatively) in depth level very early in your ELT training.

Fermi2

« Reply #89 on: Aug 30, 2012, 11:01 »
S**t when I was in ELT we had the infamous Jackie and Gale as instructors. Jackie was a hot brunette. Gale a hot Redhead. Jackie was noted for uh giving the top scorer in the class some weekend fringe benefits.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2012, 11:44 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #90 on: Aug 31, 2012, 07:24 »
S**t when I was in ELT we had the infamous Jackie and Gale as instructors. Jackie was a hot brunette. Gale a hot Redhead. Jackie was noted for uh giving the top scorer in the class some weekend fringe benefits.

A true gentleman doesn't kiss 'n tell..... [coffee]

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #91 on: Sep 03, 2012, 09:54 »
I guess some of your classmates must have liked her then. ;)
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #92 on: Sep 03, 2012, 12:51 »
I guess some of your classmates must have liked her then. ;)

Zing!!!

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #93 on: Oct 16, 2012, 09:52 »
Orders are out; I'm going to USS Harry S. Truman CVN-75.

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #94 on: Nov 12, 2012, 01:19 »
Qualified ELT.  ;D

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #95 on: Nov 12, 2012, 01:29 »
Qualified ELT.  ;D

Most awesome,...you're life will never be the same again,...

It will most likely be like this,...

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #96 on: Nov 12, 2012, 04:17 »
Congratulations!!!

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #97 on: Nov 12, 2012, 04:33 »
Most awesome,...you're life will never be the same again,...

It will most likely be like this,...

Or possibly this...

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #98 on: Nov 13, 2012, 04:10 »
Thanks everyone!

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #99 on: Jun 22, 2013, 06:22 »
Almost at my 6 month point onboard USS Harry S. Truman. A little advice, don't hit your head on a main shaft journal bearing in 2CSW. Your head will lose the battle every time. 2 weeks underway, spent mostly SIQ and a 2 day hospital stay at Portsmouth Naval Hospital on return to home port with post concussion syndrome is about as far away from being "fun" as it gets. I'm still dealing with headaches, dizziness, loss of concentration and ability to focus or find the correct words when speaking, and being very easily frustrated (not normal for me...) Following up with ship's docs on Monday and my neurologist in 1-2 weeks. Seems like my short 3 year stint so far has been filled with unnecessary injuries, but I'm still trucking along. Looking forward to deployment- whenever the Navy can afford to send us over.

Edit: Looking through the below link, I hope this hasn't set me up for disqualification from the program  :-\ My concerns lie in 15-78, sections 4.a, 4.d.1, 4.d.2.a, 4.d.9.a, 4.e.1

http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/Pub/MANMED%20CHANGE%20136.pdf
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2013, 06:43 by yota »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?