Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Duke Operator Jobs 2012 - Oconee, Catawba, McGuire

Author Topic: Duke Operator Jobs 2012 - Oconee, Catawba, McGuire  (Read 41945 times)

az2nv

I posted on a previous post but thought id start a new one since i haven't got a response.

I recently submitted an app for a Nuclear Operator job with Duke that closed on Aug 28th and it said the positions wont start until Jan-Apr 2012 and was just wondering how long did it take before you guys got a call/email from them about a interview or that they were interested in hiring you. Because it seems like from the earlier post i read that alot of you started in early 2011 (Feb/Mar) as a Operator and was wondering if that will most likely be the time frame for this wave of hiring to. I was also told having several references that are Duke employees is a big plus and didn't know if that was true in anyone's case because all of mine are Duke Employees. Any info on the whole process you went through getting on with Duke would be appreciated..Thanks ahead of time everyone. Brandon

drayer54

Re: Duke Operator Jobs 2012 - Oconee, Catawba, McGuire
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2011, 02:28 »
Their website has contact information for an operations recruiter. The job posting does as well. She responded to my emails quickly and I wouldn't be surprised if she does yours as well.

Good Luck.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2011, 04:04 »
You should try calling them. Or something.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline ToadSuck

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2011, 08:16 »
I have an interview on Oct 3 at Oconee.

I got the phone call for the interview on Aug 23rd. They are flying me out of New Orleans on Oct 1st so I can see the area and meet some people. Then I interview that Monday.

I hope when I interview they offer me a different job, but will be content with this one. I just want to get out of New Orleans.

Offline Ghost_007

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2011, 01:07 »
I sent in my application and resume at the end July, heard back from them a few weeks later stating that I needed to take the POSS test on Sept. 10th...passed the test and was notified last week that I needed to come in to interview on Oct. 25th at Oconee...

Offline Zacm829

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2011, 02:50 »
I have the same story as Ghost. Passed the POSS on Sept. 10. Interview on Oct. 5 at Catawba.

az2nv

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2011, 07:17 »
I submitted mine at the end of august right at the deadline so i guess i shouldn't give up hope quite yet.

I never could find the contact information on their website for a recruiter
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2011, 07:18 by az2nv »

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2011, 07:52 »
Anyone heard back from McGuire?

Offline azq12

• Very Lite User
  • Sr. HP
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2011, 11:57 »
I have not heard anything, but judging from some of the earlier post in this forum, I'm guessing that I didn't even make it to the POSS test portion of the screening since some have interviews next month.  Oh well, guess I'll try again next year.   :(

Offline ToadSuck

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2011, 11:16 »
Flew in Saturday night from New Orleans, nuzzled in here at Clemson waiting for Monday. Got the POSS at 9 and an interview at 1. Hope all goes well. I REALLY want to move here. This area is awesome.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2011, 11:38 »
Beautiful country, only negative thing about Oconee is it is a 3 unit site.... That means a refueling outage every 6 months.....

MacGyver

« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2011, 11:46 »
But, think of ALL that OT ... ;)

Offline ToadSuck

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2011, 12:07 »
Beautiful country, only negative thing about Oconee is it is a 3 unit site.... That means a refueling outage every 6 months.....

Hmmm...I didn't think about that. SO, every operator has to work the 4/1 schedule every 6 months or are there operators for each unit? ::)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2011, 09:07 »
Hmmm...I didn't think about that. SO, every operator has to work the 4/1 schedule every 6 months or are there operators for each unit? ::)

I'd certainly hope so....

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 2011, 10:41 »

Each unit has operators, but they are qualified on all three units.  It does not mean they are always in a outage rotation, but it does mean they have the potential to deal with all the challenges if an outage alott more frequently.

Offline ToadSuck

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:11 »
Had my interview today, they said I scored the highest on my STAR interview than anyone so far and offered me the job verbally and told my I should have my "in writing" offer the 1st week of November. WooHoo!!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #16 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:33 »
Congratulations!
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

MacGyver

« Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2011, 07:37 »
Most excellent.  Good work.  Enjoy the ride.  :)

Offline NoogaTiger

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Oct 03, 2011, 10:22 »
Congrats!
Pretty good university and football team right down the road too.

Offline Zacm829

• Very Lite User
« Reply #19 on: Oct 04, 2011, 06:13 »
Great job, mine is tomorrow morning at Catawba. I'm hoping for the same results!

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Oct 05, 2011, 08:09 »
Congrats!
Pretty good university and football team right down the road too.

Congratulations.  And by the way, thanks to NoogaTiger for recognizing a good university down the road in Athens, GA. (Go Dawgs).  And Congratulations to Clemson on a great years so far.  Sorry for being off subject, it won't happen again.

don

« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2011, 04:18 »
I interviewed at catawba on oct. 3.  I think interview went ok.  Nice place, seems like good place to work.

Offline Vdeblasis

• Lurker
« Reply #22 on: Oct 09, 2011, 10:10 »
I have poss and interview at McGuire station on the 17th any kind of help on poss mass and interview questions and tips would b appericated.. What r some good questions to ask them at the end? I don't have nuclear experience. But I do have a powerplant technology degree for coal fire powerPlants and work at one right now

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: Oct 09, 2011, 12:26 »
I have poss and interview at McGuire station on the 17th any kind of help on poss mass and interview questions and tips would b appericated.. What r some good questions to ask them at the end? I don't have nuclear experience. But I do have a powerplant technology degree for coal fire powerPlants and work at one right now

Q1. Why "r" you Ops guys down on interviewees who "b" using IM chat in a grown-up forum?

Q2. "where's the scrubbers on that there plant? My barber, Roy D. Mercer, said they were out back. Is it true you guys can stay at full power with 1 HD fan and a conveyor belt offline?"

okay....in all seriousness, the interviewers ask their standard set of questions to keep the process fair and level. The questions that YOU ask give the interviewers a view into your work ethic, priorities, etc.  Some good questions to ask are:

When you all went through training, what were the harder subjects?

If I work hard and keep my nose clean, what sort of progression path is possible?

How much overtime (look eager and hungry) is available?

Where is a good place to look at houses in the area (unless you already have a permanent place in the area)

DO NOT state/ask/suggest:

I need time off for my (fill in the blanks personal situation that would get you on Oprah, Judge Judy or Nancy Grace's shows) and my girlfriend/parole officer/codependent relative neeeeeeds me there.

I have this really cool 2 1/2 week trip to someplace faraway already booked, can I make up that part of training later.

If Ops gets boring, how easy is it to bid over to Maintenance, or that HP stuff, it looks easy. I was always good at welding.

Offline azq12

• Very Lite User
  • Sr. HP
« Reply #24 on: Oct 11, 2011, 05:14 »
I have the POSS test for McGuire on the 15th!  I'm excited yet nervous...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?