Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What to look for when applying for OPS? honeypot

Author Topic: What to look for when applying for OPS?  (Read 3956 times)

Offline cosmos///m3

• Lurker
What to look for when applying for OPS?
« on: Sep 26, 2011, 09:55 »
Alright, first off I want to say hello. I am a noob, but have been lurking this forum for a while. I am a college senior and will be graduating at the end of this year. Basically here is the deal...

This summer I had a Internship as an EPU Scheduler at Turkey Point. Had a great time and learned more than I could have anticipated. My last 2 weeks of the summer I had the opportunity to shadow personnel in operations. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! Since then I have been looking and researching careers in Nuclear Operations.

I know this question has been somewhat beat to death, but when searching for jobs exactly what should I look for? Position Title? How does one go about getting into the training? Taking the POSS test? Everything associated with getting into Ops? Sorry if my questions are redundant, reason I ask is they guys I shadowed this summer told me typically there are classes of about ~20 they train. Is this something that every plant does or was this only Turkey Point.

Any positive information would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Kyle

Offline bradley535

• Light User
  • My employer found me at NukeWorker.com
Re: What to look for when applying for OPS?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2011, 10:33 »
Welcome to Nukeworker; let's get right to it.

exactly what should I look for? Position Title?

Auxiliary Operator (AO)/ Non-Licensed Operator (NLO). (No positions at Turkey Point open at this time)

How does one go about getting into the training?

Once you are hired, you will be scheduled into the training. This will happen with the small group of other AOs that got hired in the same class.

Taking the POSS test?

Everything you need to know is in the link below. You can either go through this booklet and be ready to take the exam with 40-hours of study, or you aren't ready for it and need about 2-years of focused education.
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10079.0.html

Everything associated with getting into Ops?

Thick skin, a can-do attitude, and a penchant for hard work. Most managers aren't looking for workers they already have, they are looking for the workers that are going to shape the plant into their vision of tomorrow. When in an interview, make sure they understand that you want to be part of that vision, and it will take you far.

Good luck and keep us posted,
    Bradley
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2011, 10:34 by bradley535 »

Offline cosmos///m3

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2011, 11:21 »
Thanks for all the information!! I will keep my eyes open and hopefully find some positions come up to apply for...

Thanks again

Kyle

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2011, 11:19 »
Some buzz words you want to know before doing an interview

1) You will aspire to be an SRO.
2) You hold safety as a model to your daily life.
3) You want to better the company.

These are all the same positions:

AO - aux operator
NLO - non licensed operator
AO - apprentice operator
EO - equipment operator
PO - plant operator
NEO - nuclear equipment operator
NO - nuclear operator
SO - system operator

Classes are around 12 operators a class for entergy plants.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?