Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice please!
honeypot

Author Topic: Advice please!  (Read 6614 times)

mannjw

Advice please!
« on: Sep 29, 2011, 01:07 »
So I have been invited to take the MASS test with entergy next wednesday. The problem is monday the 5th I am sceduled to undergo PRK corrective eye surgery which has about a 4 day recovery time. I really want this position and the last thing I want to do is jeopardize my opportunity by missing this test. On the other hand, If i reschedule my ($3,000 free!) eye surgery the wait list is so long I can guaruntee it won't happen. Do I cancel the eye surgery or ask to take the test at a later date?

Driving 10 hours on the interstate there and back doesn't seem to be a good idea either with scarred up eyeballs.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Advice please!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2011, 02:09 »
Hmm.  I can understand not wanting to reschedule the free eye surgery, but here's what pops into my head.  If you postpone it you can take the test.  Pass the test & you could get hired by Entergy.  Get hired by Entergy & you'll have a job with benefits such as major medical. 

(I know, you've probably already run that scenario 1000 times.  But sometimes it helps to get it reinforced by someone else doesn't it?  ;D)
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2011, 02:35 »
How about you call Entergy, and tell them your situation.  See if its a big deal to reschedule.  Its its a big deal, then take the test.

In this economy... I'd rather have a J.O.B. than slightly better vision.

That's just me...   I like feeding my kids.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2011, 06:00 »
Bah, who needs things like a home, clothes, food, etc., when there's free eye surgery?

:->

mannjw

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2011, 06:19 »
Well I called, and found out they're looking to hire about three months before I'm available for work. bummer, it was as an Instrument control tech too which with me being a MM I've heard can be a difficult field to get into. But she said they would keep my info on record and look me up next exam cycle.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2011, 08:01 »
Hmm.  I can understand not wanting to reschedule the free eye surgery, but here's what pops into my head.  If you postpone it you can take the test.  Pass the test & you could get hired by Entergy.  Get hired by Entergy & you'll have a job with benefits such as major medical.  

(I know, you've probably already run that scenario 1000 times.  But sometimes it helps to get it reinforced by someone else doesn't it?  ;D)

How about you call Entergy, and tell them your situation.  See if its a big deal to reschedule.  Its its a big deal, then take the test.

In this economy... I'd rather have a J.O.B. than slightly better vision.

That's just me...   I like feeding my kids.

Rule one about effective slamming guidance of people in the open forums has three parts,...

Rule 1, Part 1 - Click on username of subject to be slammed counseled,...

Rule1, Part 2 - Click on "Show the last posts of this person"

Rule 1, Part 3 - Read those posts and research the terrain before you send in a forum strike mission helpful hint,...

I'm just saying,.... [coffee]

Rule 2 would be something along the lines of "When that little voice is nagging you not to left click the mouse,....you probably forgot Rule 1",....

At least it seems that way in my own humble experience,... ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2011, 10:40 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2011, 09:58 »
But why do that when it's so much more fun to just embarrass yourself while giving a genuine helpful opinion?   :P   
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2011, 12:29 »
GLW is the undisputed king of the forum.  [king]

I wonder how long till he is #1 karma king again too?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2011, 01:13 »
So I have been invited to take the MASS test with entergy next wednesday. The problem is monday the 5th I am sceduled to undergo PRK corrective eye surgery which has about a 4 day recovery time. Driving 10 hours on the interstate there and back doesn't seem to be a good idea either with scarred up eyeballs.

Well I called, and found out they're looking to hire about three months before I'm available for work.

So... How did the surgery go?

mannjw

« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2011, 08:06 »
Well, I got turned away. I started the paperwork process early enough but it ended up taking longer than I expected. A requirement for the surgery is 12 months remaining on the enlistment contract before they will do the surgery, for follow up appointments and insurance reasons I guess. Unless you're Air Force the requirement is 6 months. They never mentioned it and I didn't bring it up so I thought I was good. Until I was sitting outside the laser room and the nurse walked out and asked me about it. They can bypass the 12 months with an Intent to Re-enlist waiver signed by your command, but obviously that wasn't a choice.  I ended up testing (and passing as I found out earlier today) with them last week and now I'm waiting on an interview. 

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2011, 02:29 »
haha that sucks man, Im sorry. Glad you got everything sorted though.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?