Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu nps car? honeypot

Author Topic: nps car?  (Read 36173 times)

withroaj

Re: nps car?
« Reply #25 on: Aug 27, 2008, 05:16 »
Specifics about money and such... I don't know.  The phases of NMT... yes (as of about 5 and a half years ago).  Four weeks into A-school you can go off base after school and wear civvies on the weekends.  Eight weeks into it you can wear civilian clothes and even leave base on the weekdays.  You can drive a car at the four week point if I remember correctly.

dan11

« Reply #26 on: Aug 27, 2008, 10:28 »
Check out this thread about Cars at A School.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,12341.0.html

Jason
You could have just commented on underage drinking + driving than have me read that whole thread :P

More specifically when I bumped this topic, I own a vehicle but I'm in California. Will the Navy ship my car to A school at little or no cost? If not, I'll probably get a bike, but will I have time to take all the necessary classes to get a license to operate a motorcycle? When I'm getting my vehicle registered, will I get Gov plates that allow me to park anywhere :D

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #27 on: Aug 27, 2008, 10:36 »
You could have just commented on underage drinking + driving than have me read that whole thread :P

Or YOU could have thanked a Sr. Moderator for taking the time to post an answer to your question.

Loss of Karma stripe for Article 91 in Nukeworker.

Cheers

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #28 on: Aug 28, 2008, 06:32 »

More specifically when I bumped this topic, I own a vehicle but I'm in California. Will the Navy ship my car to A school at little or no cost? If not, I'll probably get a bike, but will I have time to take all the necessary classes to get a license to operate a motorcycle? When I'm getting my vehicle registered, will I get Gov plates that allow me to park anywhere :D

Ok first things first, the Navy WILL NOT ship your car from California.  The ONLY time the Navy will pay to have a car shipped is if you are transferring outside of the Continental United States(Italy, Hawaii, etc).  I know that from California to SC was about 800 Dollars back in 2003 so figure about a grand now(Besides you get that nice bonus money after NPS now plus all that money you saved during boot camp).  I do not know much about motorcycle classes other than sometimes they fill up pretty quick and other times they do not.  Most of the classes are on the weekends I believe.  Perhaps someone with more knowledge will lend some info. 

As far as the Government plates, Sorry Charlie but those plates are for "Official Government Business" only such as Duty Vans, Admiral's being driven around, and Recruiters.  But to make you feel better you will get a nice window sticker from both DoD and from NNPTC/NPTU that says you can come on base and park in the parking lot. 
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

ISFSI

« Reply #29 on: Aug 28, 2008, 09:12 »
OT

Wow....reading this is interesting...

Class 9802?...

I was in class 8507.

I was stationed in Charleston when they first brought the Rayburn floatatype and moored it.  Actually got a tour when we were there.

Sounds like the educational part may have gotten abit easier - God kows it was easier for me in '85 than the guys who went thru at Mare Island back in the 60's.

My how times have changed...

/OT

Motown homey

« Reply #30 on: Aug 28, 2008, 09:27 »
Navy Nuclear Power School Class 73-01 at Mare Island.  Long time ago - but from what I'm reading, not much has changed in the presentation and curriculum. 

I didn't have a car at NPS, but I bought one prior to starting prototype in Idaho.  You could have gotten by without one, but I never would have seen so much of the mountains - Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Mount Bozrah, Little Lost River Valley.  I'm glad I had it.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #31 on: Sep 03, 2008, 05:19 »
Does anyone remember that awesome Automoblie workshop the Navy had for the nukes at NPS Orlando? That place had 20 of everything.

Does Charleston have anything similar?

Mike

an emphatic yes mike. Its called the "hobby shop" and it is glorious :) I spent 80% of my free time with friends wrenching on our cars (Even when nothing needed to be wrenched lol).  Has 6 lifts, and 5 work bays (3 indoors, 2 outdoors, but covered), and heavy duty machines for the DIY'ers.

As for the thread... get the damn car. You will absolutely hate not having one, I promise. Bumming rides absolutely sucks, and taxis are NOT cheap!

precious blue -> No they wont pay to have the car shipped, but the government WILL pay for a "home of record" move! (Shoot, I still have to do mine haha). Thats a terrific loophole to have the navy pay to move your car.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #32 on: Sep 03, 2008, 06:05 »

precious blue -> No they wont pay to have the car shipped, but the government WILL pay for a "home of record" move! (Shoot, I still have to do mine haha). Thats a terrific loophole to have the navy pay to move your car.

I'm not 100% certain but I don't think that a home of record move will move your car unless your home of record is Alaska or Hawaii

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #33 on: Sep 03, 2008, 06:07 »
I'm not 100% certain but I don't think that a home of record move will move your car unless your home of record is Alaska or Hawaii

I should specify, doing a dity move will essentially pay him to move his car (and then some!).

Offline Wanna Know Mom

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #34 on: Oct 29, 2008, 08:38 »
Sounds like a home of record move is once in your Navy career???   Can it be used by an E-4 after prototype graduation from Charleston to the first duty station? ( I'm thinking car. one stinkin' big TV, and some personal belongings....) :)           thanks, Kathy VPNM

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #35 on: Oct 29, 2008, 08:57 »
Sounds like a home of record move is once in your Navy career???   Can it be used by an E-4 after prototype graduation from Charleston to the first duty station? ( I'm thinking car. one stinkin' big TV, and some personal belongings....) :)           thanks, Kathy VPNM

Yes it can be used by an E4, as long as he has never shipped anything from his home of record.  However, they won't move a car unless home of record is outside the continental USA.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline bdhoe

• Light User
  • Retreating is always an option...
« Reply #36 on: Oct 29, 2008, 08:06 »

And also when using this move you should consider what state you are in when doing it. If you come from a state that does not require you to pay income tax (like I did) while in the service be careful not to home of record to one that does (which would have been my case)...(paying $1000 dollars to move is better than paying $1000 in state taxes every year)...and if your parents are nice they could perhaps come visit you with your stuff...(its a win/win  ;D)
I think maybe I shouldn't have taken the blue pill after all...damn...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?