Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Wanting to return to where it all started
honeypot

Author Topic: Wanting to return to where it all started  (Read 5078 times)

sjtoupin

Wanting to return to where it all started
« on: Oct 09, 2011, 01:18 »
Hi everyone!

Thank you for your time in reading this post.

I left the nuclear industry 14 years ago to enter the IT industry.  I been wanting to return to the nuclear industry for the past couple of years.  I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Radiological Health Physics and a graduate certificate in Radioactive Waste Management.  Experience in decontamination, instrumentation, surveys, dosimetry and dose calculations, quality assurance, and technical procedure writing.  I am able to start immediately and also am willing to relocate and travel as needed.  I also would like to know how to best review and prepare for this transition.  Can someone recommend companies/agencies to apply?

Any helpful suggestions is appreciated.

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
Re: Wanting to return to where it all started
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2011, 06:48 »
What were you doing fourteen years ago and what level of experience do you have? Have you developed any expertise in IT that could be applicable? Where is your BS from?

Content1

« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2011, 07:21 »
What make you wish to leave information technology, the place where all the jobs and action is, like in Silicon Valley?  My son-in-law is going to school in bioinformatics, a lucrative sub field in the IT arena.  Many of us left the road as the pay scales are stale and until they build more Nuke plants and with the bad economy, now is a bad time to make a change.

sjtoupin

« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2011, 07:43 »
What were you doing fourteen years ago and what level of experience do you have? Have you developed any expertise in IT that could be applicable? Where is your BS from?

Fourteen years ago, I was working for Isotope Products Laboratory in Burbank, CA (they were bought by Eckert & Ziegler and moved location).  At Isotope, I had multiple roles: radiochemist, HP Technician, QA, and Radioassay/Instrumentation Technician.

I have spent my time in IT in help desk and network and system administration with an IT Security background.

My BS is from the University of Massachusetts -- Lowell.

I wonder if it is possible to tie IT into the nuclear industry and how to do it?

Thank you for your reply.  Please let me know if any additional information is needed.

Best regards.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2011, 07:52 by sjtoupin »

sjtoupin

« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2011, 07:48 »
What make you wish to leave information technology, the place where all the jobs and action is, like in Silicon Valley?  My son-in-law is going to school in bioinformatics, a lucrative sub field in the IT arena.  Many of us left the road as the pay scales are stale and until they build more Nuke plants and with the bad economy, now is a bad time to make a change.

The IT field is also experiencing great lay-offs and job competition is strong.  Bioinformatics is a new and emerging field with great potential.  Your son-in-law must be very intelligent. 

Thank you for your input.  I find it useful.  I am sorry to hear things are stale in the nuclear industry too. 

Best regards.

devonshire

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2011, 06:28 »
Now is the perfect time to get back into the industry. NRC has begun licensing new plants for construction and TVA is going to be bringing a new plant on line next year. I would check with TVA go directly to a utility, working for contractors there is no guarantee for continued work. A nuclear utility can dump a company on a dime if they don't do the job right. Look for plant owner operator careers.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?