Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Operator/Engineer Survey honeypot

Author Topic: Operator/Engineer Survey  (Read 16456 times)

Offline KaraSchmitt

• Lurker
Operator/Engineer Survey
« on: Oct 09, 2011, 01:47 »
Hi Everyone,

Long time troll, short time member, first time poster. I am currently a PhD Student at Florida Institute of Technology. (http://research.fit.edu/hcdi/people/schmitt_k.php) I'm about a year and a half into the process, and we're looking at automation in the realm of Nuclear Power. I'd like to know from you guys if you love it, hate it, or don't particularly care one way or another.

Admittedly, I'm pretty new myself to the realm of Nuclear Power, my Bachelors is in Physics & Masters is in Space Systems. I was the lead structural engineer for Space Shuttle Atlantis for six years before they started shutting the program down, so I figured now was the time to "retire" and go back to school. I tell you, if you're looking for adventure, try a PhD. So, I read as much as I can read, and talk to as many folks as I can and I'm just trying to learn more about what you guys do everyday.

I have a questionnaire that consists of 25 agree/disagree & 10 short answer questions that I would be forever indebted to anyone who would like to participate in this research study. If you're interested, please shoot me an e-mail at karaaschmitt@gmail.com and I shall respond with the survey. Your information will be entirely confidential, and you can participate as much or as little as you'd like. If you'd rather a telephone call survey, just mention it & I can make that happen also.

Best of all, the opportunity is free to the first 100 respondents! (I kid, it's free for everyone, but this does seem to work for infomercials, so I figured I'd give it a try :))

On a random side note, Thanks to everyone on this board, the type of information here has been really helpful in trying to understand the processes involved in the industry.

Thanks!

Kara

Fermi2

Re: Operator/Engineer Survey
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2011, 02:49 »
Send me the survey.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2011, 02:57 »
Email sent.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2011, 10:41 »
This lady is legitimate and has an honest interest so if you have a legitimate background please try helping her out.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2011, 03:54 »
Concur. She was receptive to some feedback about the survey and was very detailed about her thought process and where she is going with this.  +K
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2011, 04:35 »
I agree. I told her I was not an Operator but she was very interested in my input anyway, particularly when I told her how many plants I had 'visited.'

Help her if you can.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2011, 07:09 »
I'll do it if I "count"...

edit: I wont get insulted if I dont :p
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2011, 07:12 by Starkist »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2011, 07:28 »
You don't.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2011, 07:33 »
Just kidding. I'm sure she'd give it to you, but I would think that people with actual commercial nuclear plant experience with an understanding of how they are automated are her target audience, simply based on the questions. If you can answer "Do you feel you have enough information provided to you" go for it. Ain't my study, so if you want to do it, email her.
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2011, 07:42 by TheHiggs »

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2011, 07:41 »
Actually she'll accept anything provided the person has some background. After exchanging an email or two TRUST me, this lady can sort out what she doesn't need. She'd be a great nuke. Has it more together than about 99% of the guys I've worked with in the industry.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2011, 07:43 »
Actually she'll accept anything provided the person has some background. After exchanging an email or two TRUST me, this lady can sort out what she doesn't need. She'd be a great nuke. Has it more together than about 99% of the guys I've worked with in the industry.

Yep I was impressed. Gives me hope. :)

Justin

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2011, 07:56 »
Yep I was impressed. Gives me hope. :)

Justin

I figured you'd think the same!

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2011, 08:04 »
No skin off my butt. You guys seem to want to help out, and spent your free time doing it, and Id have no problem doing the same.

Offline KaraSchmitt

• Lurker
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2011, 09:29 »
Well don't you guys know how to sweet-talk the ladies!

A huge thanks to Broadzilla, you have been tremendous help so far, and I intend to harass you further!

Also, a thanks to thehiggs & starkist & RDTroja & everyone else who has responded so far but may not want to be named publicly. The response so far is fantastic & you guys have gotten me on a good start to my goal of 100! :)

Kara

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2011, 09:50 »
A huge thanks to Broadzilla, you have been tremendous help so far, and I intend to harass you further!

Oh...I'm sure he's been sweeping the hydrogen band hoping SOMEone would ask his opinion on a thing or two...a virtual WOW signal !!  :P

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:05 »

Oh...I'm sure he's been sweeping the hydrogen band hoping SOMEone would ask his opinion on a thing or two...a virtual WOW signal !!  :P

Periodically unsuspecting wayfarers acknowledge my nuclear messiahness!!

Anytime Kara, I am glad I could be of some help!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:16 »

Periodically unsuspecting wayfarers acknowledge my nuclear messiahness!!

I think the rocket scientists refer to it as 'gravitational lensing'   :P

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:19 »
I think the rocket scientists refer to it as 'gravitational lensing'   :P

I refer to it as recognizing fiery genius!

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:51 »
I refer to it as recognizing fiery genius!

I think you need some help inflating your ego Mikey, you're clearly not getting the job done yourself. Lemme know how me or Drayer could help! ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:57 »
I think you need some help inflating your ego Mikey, you're clearly not getting the job done yourself. Lemme know how me or Drayer could help! ;)

LOL last week the NRC told my management in their opinion I was probably the sharpest SRO in the industry. Immediately everyone at the meeting said NO DO NOT LET THAT GET BACK TO HIM!!!
My plant manager, who I have worked with since I have been at this plant said "Yep no one loves Mikey as much as he loves himself"

Now when I answer my phone I say Mikeys all things nuclear hotline, how can I bail you out.

I'll be milking that comment probably until I retire!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2011, 09:17 »
LOL last week the NRC told my management in their opinion I was probably the sharpest SRO in the industry.

They just haven't seen me yet. ;D

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: Oct 14, 2011, 09:50 »
They just haven't seen me yet. ;D

A license in every NRC Region, right? ;)

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:53 »
LOL last week the NRC told my management in their opinion I was probably the sharpest SRO in the industry. Immediately everyone at the meeting said NO DO NOT LET THAT GET BACK TO HIM!!!
My plant manager, who I have worked with since I have been at this plant said "Yep no one loves Mikey as much as he loves himself"

Now when I answer my phone I say Mikeys all things nuclear hotline, how can I bail you out.

I'll be milking that comment probably until I retire!

They have a life sized head of mikeys on display at the museum.

Fermi2

« Reply #23 on: Oct 14, 2011, 10:59 »
LMAO that is straight arse funny!

Fermi2

« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2011, 01:22 »
If you can try to help this lady out.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?