Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nukeworker Ham radio chat club?

Poll

Would it be a good idea, would you be interested?

Yes, but I don't have a FCC license yet
6 (40%)
Yes, I'm out there already
2 (13.3%)
No, what kind of lame geek question is THAT?
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Nukeworker Ham radio chat club?  (Read 16548 times)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Nukeworker Ham radio chat club?
« on: Oct 15, 2011, 09:44 »
Would it be a good idea, would you be interested?

Clean comments encouraged

mannjw

Re: Nukeworker Ham radio chat club?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2011, 11:36 »
KK4EOD
New to ham but I'd join!

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2011, 01:22 »
It's be interesting!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2011, 08:01 »
I've been thinking about getting into HAM as part of my suvivalist preparations.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

MacGyver

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2011, 11:05 »
Been HAM'in since I was 8 years old.  Though I am an EXTRA class now I only work HF (CW - QRP).  And, for the most part I haven't been active in years.  Most of my gear is in storage.  Even so its all battery powered so if I needed too I could be online pretty quick.  What do you have in mind Dave?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2011, 05:10 »
  What do you have in mind Dave?

Not sure yet, hence hoping to get some already HAM input. Some options would be more exclusive yet tons of effort, like 440 MHZ moonbounce or satellite Ham, or easier like 30 or 60 meter band on SSB. I'd prefer to not use 2-meter trunked, because that's just paying a lot of money to have to go through repeaters, may as well be on a cell phone. Any preferences for voice, slow-scan video, RTTY or Morse (I'm a lamer and I would use auto-keyer)??

MacGyver

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2011, 05:39 »
Since I've worked most modes my vote would be a mode I have never worked.  My vote would be some sat or moonbounce comm's.  I might be game this upcoming summer/fall.  Right now my obligations are a liitle full.  My favorite comm's are HF - QRP - CW while hiking or visiting lighthouses.  We typically call them a sprint or a fox hunt.  I really don't work voice anymore though so that limits my interest.  Thoughts?

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2011, 11:14 »
It might be useful during the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2011, 02:29 »
So I was thinking 10 meter, with either RTTY, slow-scan or voice?

MacGyver

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2011, 11:24 »
So I was thinking 10 meter, with either RTTY, slow-scan or voice?

Goats are more my speed ...  :P

Since it might not be intuitive to some but goats are great pack'o'durm'ee.  And, backpacking with a lot of gear is hard on the body.  Particularly on this old goat.  ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2011, 01:59 by MacGyver »

MacGyver

« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2011, 09:03 »
For positive ethernet connection CW is the only guaranteed mode of communication (or any mode associated with CW ... like RTTY, etc).  Voice eats a lot of band width and requires large power input (not to mention a good antenna) for solid communication.  Interference more easily disrupts voice comm's (re: HF).[1]

For (most, particularly foot) mobile operations low power operations (mostly with a battery source with an improvised antenna ... typically) are required.  Which is well suited for CW.[1]  I can reach the other side of the world and back with 1 - 5 watt.  Try that with voice ops.  In addition all of my gear is homemade or homebrewed.  That equals great value for my efforts.  Of course you do not have to build your own gear.  But, it sure is fun.

For those that choose too learn CW I recommend the following:
The Art & Skill of Radio Telegraphy
3rd Edition

Official Download Site

A Manual For Learning, Using, Mastering And Enjoying
The International Morse Code As A Means Of Communication

William G. Pierpont N0HFF
"What Hath God Wrought!"

"For those who are interested in telegraphy, for those who would like to learn it,
for those who love it, and for those who want to improve their skills in it."

Official Download Site

You may link to this page, but please do not put the book file on your server.

Below you will see various options for downloading this book.
Last edit: April 20, 2002

Adobe PDF File (948KB)

So, to summarize.  If you want to have daily/weekly/monthly net operations that will get through in the most difficult situations CW is the way to go.  QRP (low power operations) is not required ... but sure is fun and less expensive.

Sometime next year I hope to get back to a lot more HAM radio'in.  If you want to work some voice or what not I can be available.  Count me in, next year.  :)

[1]  Page 9; The Art and Skill of Radio-Telegraphy
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2011, 12:52 by MacGyver »

LaFeet

« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2011, 09:22 »
Thanks for the info... diggin out my old Radio Shack pieces-parts collection that I was saving for a breeder reactor. :D

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2011, 05:29 »
For those that DX satellites, one less bird out there soon...

Here is a link to track ROSAT on its way down

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=20638

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2011, 06:04 »
thanks for the info hydro

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2011, 09:18 »
I'm gonna go out on a limb...daylight landing in northern Canada, visible in daylight from Edmonton.

Offline iiiisx349

• Moderate User
  • i love fishing
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2011, 01:58 »
did it fall yet?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2011, 06:58 »
ROSAT RE-ENTRY UPDATE: US Strategic Command has released an updated set of final orbital elements for ROSAT. Using these latest figures, German satellite decay expert Harro Zimmer estimates that the massive X-ray observatory re-entered Earth's atmosphere on Oct. 23rd at 01:56 UTC +/- 09. Best-fit coordinates (21.33°N, 100.32°E) suggest a re-entry over Northern Thailand.

www.spaceweather.com

Looks like I was about 3 orbits off on my guesstimate

p.s. I wonder if anyone in UncaBuff's neck of the woods saw it or found a piece??
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2011, 08:21 by HydroDave63 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?