Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy Nuke Spouse Freaking Out... Questions about getting out....  

Author Topic: Navy Nuke Spouse Freaking Out... Questions about getting out....  (Read 13870 times)

jlabbe1123

Hi, So I have been reading post on here for about the past 4 hours and while there have been many kind of close and useful information I still haven’t been able to find something that really fits my question or situation. 

My husband is a Nuke EM3 and is getting medically separated from the Navy. He was only a few months out of nuke school while on his sub and got hurt and didn’t get to qualify much so now I’m freaking out about what we are going to do and I am just looking for a little advice on where we might go from here. He is signed up for his TAPS class which I know will help but that’s not till December like right before we get out and I would like to get a head start on job searching and resume writing before that because I don’t want to get out and still have so many questions about where to go and what to do. What we have been trying to figure out is what type of job he might be able to get in the civilian world.

I’ve seen a lot of post with people with 6-10 years of experience and ones who never quite finished nuke school but I haven’t come across (and I am sorry if I missed them) any that have finished all the school and are getting out with little to no time qualifying or in the fleet.

We figured that he would most likely have to start at an entry-level position and are perfectly fine with that but find places to apply seem to be eluding me and I have no idea how to help him in the slightest way to write his resume because I don’t understand half of what he does. I just want to be prepared for what might come next or how long it’s going to take us…

Thanks for any replies

Offline Cleaver6

• Light User
  • Strive for perfection, but retain humility.
Your husband can hire someone to help him with resume writing, although that would be a waste of money, in my opinion. However, a lot of people swear by going that route.

From everything I've heard and read here, it will be difficult for him to get into commercial nuke work being dinq. One other avenue you guys should pursue is semiconductor manufacturing as a maintenance technician. He has the training to support being hired as an entry-level technician in that field. They won't care that he didn't qualify on the boat. Use the Googles.
Ex-Marine avionics tech; father of prospective sailor.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
My husband is a Nuke EM3 and is getting medically separated from the Navy. He was only a few months out of nuke school while on his sub and got hurt

If the injury was enough to get a medical separation, it may impact being able to perform the essential duties of a power plant operator. He may need to look at other fields as described by the previous poster.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
Start taking a look at the utilities in the area where you want to go.  Find their websites and look every day to see if there's something there that he's interested in.

He did finish school, so he's proven that he's trainable.  I figure that a plant would be interested in him.  Probably not their first pick, but I think they'd at least give him an interview.  A lot will depend on the circumstances that had the Navy medically discharge him.  I'm not real smart on what the utilities look for, so I won't get into it more than that.  If asked, he needs to answer honestly and fully.

Is using the GI Bill an option?  It would pay some BAH while he went to college and got a degree.
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Plants have a required operation experience requirement measuring in years. Lowest Ive found was entergy with a 4 year requirement, some exelon plants have a 5 year requirement. 

Relax, its not the end of the world (I know!). Heres the money you will have coming in

- Whatever % disability you will get
- GI bill will pay you a chunk of money for BAH
- 26 weeks of unemployment, followed by 26 weeks of federal extension
- what ever job you will get. If you were a stay at home spouse, it may be time to suck it up and get a job.

If the injury was enough to get a medical separation, it may impact being able to perform the essential duties of a power plant operator. He may need to look at other fields as described by the previous poster.

Tell that to mikey dave! :)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Please note the use of the indefinite word "may" in that quote, Mr. Limpet  :P

MacGyver

Start taking a look at the utilities in the area where you want to go.  Find their websites and look every day to see if there's something there that he's interested in.

He did finish school, so he's proven that he's trainable.  I figure that a plant would be interested in him.  Probably not their first pick, but I think they'd at least give him an interview.  A lot will depend on the circumstances that had the Navy medically discharge him.  I'm not real smart on what the utilities look for, so I won't get into it more than that.  If asked, he needs to answer honestly and fully.

Got'ta agree here.  The needs of the industry are very HI right now.  Moving may be involved too.  Be advised that the hiring cycles in the Nuclear Utilities can be yearly (and based around their outage).  So, be patient and apply everywhere.  A lot of plants will be going out for operators very soon.  Start looking now at each utilities job source.

And, with all plans.  Have a plan b, c, d, and e (i.e. e for emergency).
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2011, 12:04 by MacGyver »

Offline Zog

• Moderate User
Electrical power system maintenence and testing companies would be interested, the most importnat thing they look for is a strong electrical theory background. Where do you want to live? I can make some recomendations on where to submit a resume.

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
One thing I forgot to mention is that there will probably be some company reps there when he goes to TAP.  He needs to have his resume together before then, at least a rough draft.

Also take a look at headhunters...  Don't let him make it the primary way he does his job search, but they can help give some guidance about where he would be a best fit.

"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
OP, 

another thing I REALLY suggest-> getting your ducks in a row. You have a few months. Have him talk to his chief about tuition assistance to get enrolled in college that he'd want to get into. Not saying he HAS to go to college, its just a good idea and a plan C, and may as well get the navy to pay for it while you can. Also, try to arrange your housing situation for when you get out. You get a home of record move, and its a PAIN to get arranged. Start that process sooner then later. Talk to the VA where youre going to be moving to get contacts there. Im sure theres more to do as well. You have a while, and trust me, thats a VERY good thing.

jlabbe1123

His injury was to his wrist and ankle. He is still able to perform his job just a little differently because of the pain.

We have thought about the GI Bill for school as maybe a plan C if we can't find a place to work.

Relax, its not the end of the world (I know!). Heres the money you will have coming in

- Whatever % disability you will get
- GI bill will pay you a chunk of money for BAH
- 26 weeks of unemployment, followed by 26 weeks of federal extension
- what ever job you will get. If you were a stay at home spouse, it may be time to suck it up and get a job.

I understand that we have these things coming to us but I would prefer to find a job before we get out and not have to collect on unemployment because I feel that too many people rely on this option when getting out if they know it's coming to them. Also just so you know not all military spouses are stay at home spouses and I hate that this stereotype is out there. I happen to work a 40+ hour job and have every station we have been at.

Electrical power system maintenence and testing companies would be interested, the most importnat thing they look for is a strong electrical theory background. Where do you want to live? I can make some recomendations on where to submit a resume.

We are willing to go anywhere he can get hired. We are currently out west but would like to move back east if we could to be a little closer to family. We are flexible.

Thank you again everyone for all your help and suggestions.

Offline read22

• Lurker
I wouldn't be ashamed of using unemployment....you both paid into the system while you worked, might as well use it when you are looking for employment.

I work at a plant in Ohio and I know there are plans for hiring non licensed operators in May 2012.  The mere fact that he is/was a navy nuke definately is a plus out here since not many apply out here in Ohio.

One thing you MUST remember if your husband does find an entry level position is that the GI Bill will pay a monthly stipend if he is in training for an entry level position.  It is called OJT benefits, something he should ask about in TAPS.

One last thing, as far as a resume, he can get help from the Fleet and Family Support Center (I think that is the name)

If you are interested in Ohio, I can always take a peak at the resume if you would like. 

Hopes this helps :)

Offline Zog

• Moderate User
I don't think he will have a problem finding work, Navy Nukes are always in demand regardless of experience because they are trainable and have strong theory backgrounds. I run a few companies out East and would give him an interview, as would many other companies. Smart, technical, trainable people are hard to find these days in generation "Entitled"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Check your PMs...

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
I understand that we have these things coming to us but I would prefer to find a job before we get out and not have to collect on unemployment because I feel that too many people rely on this option when getting out if they know it's coming to them. Also just so you know not all military spouses are stay at home spouses and I hate that this stereotype is out there. I happen to work a 40+ hour job and have every station we have been at.

1) Do NOT be ashamed to use unemployment. Theres a reason it exists, and theres no shame in using it!
2) Its not "relying" on it. Its a way to keep yourselves on your feet for a bit. Better then nothing, no?
3) I wasn't intending to insult you with the "Stay at home spouse" bit. You're already way ahead of the curve by simply being here. Its a stereotype, and I apologize if I came off as me grouping you in that category. The advice is still applicable, however.

jlabbe1123

Just to make myself clear I never said I would be ashamed to use unemployment. I just wanted to make sure to do everything we could before we had to use it. I understand that is a great tool for people be able to use and I have no problem asking or accepting help when we need it. I have just seen a lot of people who are getting out just kind of blow off job searching because they knew they would be able to get unemployment so they didn't bother trying for a while. I would rather stay on top of the game and have that as a plan D or something.

If you are interested in Ohio, I can always take a peak at the resume if you would like. 

Thank you. Once he gets his resume together we might take you up on that.

I don't think he will have a problem finding work, Navy Nukes are always in demand regardless of experience because they are trainable and have strong theory backgrounds. I run a few companies out East and would give him an interview, as would many other companies. Smart, technical, trainable people are hard to find these days in generation "Entitled"

Thank you for the positive look on things.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Just to make myself clear I never said I would be ashamed to use unemployment. I just wanted to make sure to do everything we could before we had to use it. I understand that is a great tool for people be able to use and I have no problem asking or accepting help when we need it. I have just seen a lot of people who are getting out just kind of blow off job searching because they knew they would be able to get unemployment so they didn't bother trying for a while. I would rather stay on top of the game and have that as a plan D or something.

Its not  a plan a, b, or c. Sign up for it. use it while you can. There's absolutely no reason to not do it. I understand the fact you want your ducks in a row, but a lot of these things work on their own time line. If you set up a job, and fore-go getting unemployment, and something happens, then what? You have to wait even longer. It takes a few weeks to get unemployment set up.

Offline Zog

• Moderate User

Thank you. Once he gets his resume together we might take you up on that.

Thank you for the positive look on things.

I would look at his resume too

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
Tagging on late here, but sorry, it's been a very busy last couple of months for me.

Don't limit yourself to just nuclear industry jobs. There are a lot of opportunities outside the nuclear field too. Sure given the current economic cycle it's a bit more competitive, but there are opportunities.

Where are you located? Check with the big companies in your area. Most take resumes over their website. Tailor the resume to the individual job your husband is applying for. You need to find the "key words and tricky phrases" for that posting. Most big companies use a computer program to pre-screen resumes for the jobs they are posting. You need to hit their key words or your resume goes 'poof' and never gets seen by human eyes.

There's a thread on here down below that gives some resume writing tips.

Good luck. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but your husbands transition out WILL work out. One way or the other. 
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?