Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Going from Science Teacher to Operator? honeypot

Author Topic: Going from Science Teacher to Operator?  (Read 17580 times)

mdanner423

Going from Science Teacher to Operator?
« on: Oct 21, 2011, 12:25 »
I am 25 years old and have been teaching middle school science for the past three years. I am looking to get out of education and into a scientific field. I love Science and to study scientific concepts. I currently have a Bachelors of Science in Biology and Chemistry. Do you think there is any chance of me breaking into this field?

I took the pre-test linked from Constellation's hiring website (goes to a third party, can't remember the name) and found the questions and concepts interesting and fun to solve.  

The field seems exciting and I am willing to study hard and work hard to advance. How hard is it to break-in right now? Have any of you gone from science education or another science related field into being an Operator?

I know it won't be an easy in and that my past experience doesn't translate to the field, but I feel like I have a mind for it and will work as hard as it takes.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond and any advice you have!

--Matthew
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2011, 02:15 by mdanner423 »

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
Re: Going from Science Teacher to Operator?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2011, 03:04 »
The Nukeworker population is aging and new Nuke plants hopefully will be on line in 5-10 years.  There is a Nuclear Utilities fundamentals and NRRPT questions on this website.  I think if you work hard it will show and you will be rewarded. A lot of states require a science major to be a health physicist for the state.  You could get some experience there and then work for the NRC or a Nuke plant.

mdanner423

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2011, 03:47 »
Thanks for the advice! Do people without a degree or experience (Navy) in the field ever get the entry level jobs that have the qualifications of a HS Diploma or Preferred Bachelors in Engineering or Science? Is it pretty rare for someone without a degree or experience in the field to get one of the AO jobs? I'm assuming people have to start somewhere!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2011, 03:54 »
Thanks for the advice! Do people without a degree or experience (Navy) in the field ever get the entry level jobs that have the qualifications of a HS Diploma or Preferred Bachelors in Engineering or Science? Is it pretty rare for someone without a degree or experience in the field to get one of the AO jobs? I'm assuming people have to start somewhere!

I think you'd be competative for an AO job.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2011, 02:36 »
The entry level testing for operations is primarily the POSS (Plant Operator Selection System), not the NRRPT (Radiation Protection).  You shouldn't have much difficulty with it, but you should know what to expect.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2011, 09:38 »
Nah you are more than qualified and we get lots of non degreed non Navy people.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2011, 10:55 »
I took the pre-test linked from Constellation's hiring website (goes to a third party, can't remember the name) and found the questions and concepts interesting and fun to solve.  

Just remember, it's not all lab coats and slide rules....hope you like to get sweaty!
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2011, 07:13 by HydroDave63 »

Content1

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2011, 12:59 »
Avoid Rad con, it is overfilled and the pay is stagnant.  If you are willing to move, start out as a Nuclear Plant equipment operator working towards Senior Reactor Operator.  Check each of the 100 nuclear plant sites to see when they are accepting applications.  They take people off the street (No Navy needed) and train you from the ground up.   Your degree should give you an edge.  There is big money possible, and a chance to use your science degree.   Another idea you may look into in a becoming a Patent Agent.   It requires a science degree like that you have, and taking the Patent agent test. (That is a hard test, and will require some legal training, but you do not need to be an attorney).  A patent agent assists inventors in preparing the patent forms for obtaining a patent. (Kind of like what Einstein did before he became the Einstein we know, working in a patent office).  He does everything a patent attorney does but does not appear in court.   Companies pay big time for this job, and many opening in the Silicon Valley area.  Don't settle for a rad tech, whatever you do as you will regret it.  I work with many grads under thirty and are miserable just swinging a meter.  The pay is good, it pays the bills, but it is like purgatory to them.  Someone with a BA in science can do some much better.  I am working on getting the additional units to became a patent agent someday myself.

mdanner423

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2011, 06:55 »
Thanks for all the good advice guys! I have filled out about 5 applications so far and will keep going as jobs are posted.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2011, 10:48 »
What you may not know is that nuclear plants also have a significant training department (roughly 30+ instructors, many classrooms and labs).  You might also look into instructor positions.

mdanner423

« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2011, 11:52 »
I thought about that 10+ years down the road though. I can't teach something I don't know yet!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2011, 04:40 »
I thought about that 10+ years down the road though. I can't teach something I don't know yet!

Precisely why they put you through a license class to "certify" you SRO.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

mdanner423

« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2011, 05:57 »
Now just getting that AO/NLO job to start! I keep waiting to hear back and have called and told they haven't selected people for testing yet. One has emailed asking for a copy of my college transcript... That's all the contact so far!

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2011, 08:22 »
I just saw an NLO opening and test date for Salem.  Check their website.

Anyone want to comment on ops at that plant or on living in/around Salem?
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2011, 09:13 by cheme09 »

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2011, 03:17 »
Quote from: mdanner423 on Yesterday at 11:52

Precisely why they put you through a license class to "certify" you SRO.

Justin
Believe it or not, there are classes taught by non-SROs :), and not all classes are for operators :).  A teacher with a BS in chemistry, for example, could be teaching chem techs or engineers chemistry pretty soon after being hired.
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2011, 03:21 by tr »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2011, 03:55 »

Believe it or not, there are classes taught by non-SROs :), and not all classes are for operators :).  A teacher with a BS in chemistry, for example, could be teaching chem techs or engineers chemistry pretty soon after being hired.

Higgs is working on his SECOND SRO license... Im sure he's well aware....

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #16 on: Oct 27, 2011, 04:51 »

I'm aware, however, he is talking about ops so, you know, I went with that. And..., he said something about not teaching something he doesn't know yet..., he wouldn't be talking about chemistry, would he?
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2011, 06:47 by TheHiggs »

mdanner423

« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:14 »
No luck switching careers yet. There is a lot of crazy stuff going on in education right now and I am definitely wanting out ASAP!

I applied for an associate nuclear chemistry tech position at FirstEnergy that I'm really interested in as a good in to the industry, it seems like an entry level position that matches my skills and education well (Chemistry).

I'm having trouble getting a contact in the company though, I've spoke to the recruiter and they said it's in the hiring manager's hands now. If I could just find out who that is! I find when I am able to talk to someone on the phone things happen a lot faster and more in my favor than the web system!

Any advice on positions or anything???

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:37 »
Those recruiters are there to do two things: one is to process your paperwork and the other is to keep you out of the Important Person's way. Even if you could find the hiring manager he or she will defer you to HR. HR will tell you that you will be contacted when a decision is made.

mdanner423

« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:17 »
So true, but the wait is excruciating. Almost as excruciating as 120 thirteen year olds a day, but I am thankful at least to have a job!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:39 »
No luck switching careers yet. There is a lot of crazy stuff going on in education right now and I am definitely wanting out ASAP!

I applied for an associate nuclear chemistry tech position at FirstEnergy that I'm really interested in as a good in to the industry, it seems like an entry level position that matches my skills and education well (Chemistry).

I'm having trouble getting a contact in the company though, I've spoke to the recruiter and they said it's in the hiring manager's hands now. If I could just find out who that is! I find when I am able to talk to someone on the phone things happen a lot faster and more in my favor than the web system!

Any advice on positions or anything???

What facility?

mdanner423

« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2012, 10:08 »
Perry

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2012, 04:55 »
Something to consider while applying. A LOT of these plants move on "Their time", which in exelons case is extremely fast, but every other utility seems to take FOREVER to even get a response from.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:02 »
Perry

Hmm I don't know anyone there but I am chummy with the recruiter you are probably dealing with so I'll see if I can find anything out.

mdanner423

« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2012, 01:37 »
Thanks!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?