Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Shielding

Author Topic: Shielding  (Read 7644 times)

wlrun3@aol.com

Shielding
« on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:10 »

If microwave can be shielded by apertures of the correct width on a microwave oven door why can't gamma be shielded the same way...shadow shields, clothing?

E=hf

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2011, 08:13 by wlrun3 »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Shielding
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2011, 10:04 »

If microwave can be shielded by apertures of the correct width on a microwave oven door why can't gamma be shielded the same way...shadow shields, clothing?

E=hf

What's the 1/4 wavelength of a 6 MeV gamma?  :P

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2011, 01:41 »
I'll nibble. what in gods name is a "shadow shield"? Google produces some weird stuff haha

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2011, 09:10 »
At first glance you're comparing a relatively huge wave with relatively small energy with the opposite: relatively high energy with very, very small wavelength.

surf50

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2011, 10:23 »
A "shadow shield" is usually a temporary shielded structure installed to provide a place for the workers to get out of the "shine" while working in a high dose area, when leaving the area is impractical.
 I've seen them used in the cavity, sump, high dose valves, etc. Lead blankets, water blocks, poly blocks all work.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:12 »
A "shadow shield" is usually a temporary shielded structure installed to provide a place for the workers to get out of the "shine" while working in a high dose area, when leaving the area is impractical.
 I've seen them used in the cavity, sump, high dose valves, etc. Lead blankets, water blocks, poly blocks all work.

Um, just for my mental clarity, you mean those "safe-spots"  they have all over chernobyl or is it more akin to temp shielding?

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:34 »

Thankyou Hydrodave and Tolstoy...radio-1 m, microwave-1 micrometer, visible-500 nanometer, gamma-1 picometer...

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2011, 12:42 by wlrun3 »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2011, 01:04 »
Um, just for my mental clarity, you mean those "safe-spots"  they have all over chernobyl or is it more akin to temp shielding?
Yes, it's like the temporary shielding that you see during outages, but it doesn't have to be temporary.  The idea is to shield an area, rather than a source. Think of a walkway near a bank of valves or heat exchangers.  Instead of piling shielding on all those valves, you just build a wall between them and the walkway.
It's more effective and takes less shielding.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2011, 04:00 »
Yes, it's like the temporary shielding that you see during outages, but it doesn't have to be temporary.  The idea is to shield an area, rather than a source. Think of a walkway near a bank of valves or heat exchangers.  Instead of piling shielding on all those valves, you just build a wall between them and the walkway.
It's more effective and takes less shielding.

Cool, thanks. Where does the term "shadow" come from then? Kind of strange moniker for it really O.o.  Splittin hairs at this point though. :p

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2011, 05:15 »
Cool, thanks. Where does the term "shadow" come from then? Kind of strange moniker for it really O.o.  Splittin hairs at this point though. :p

It casts a shadow, yes you are splitting hairs.   :hole:   [coffee]

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:38 »
I was asked in a NRC class how you would shield something.  I said if it was a nukeplant I would look at what they did last time do that and verify the shielding if it was not what I needed I would throw on another lead blanket or 2.  The instructor said that is the real life real answer. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?