Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Job Security

Author Topic: Job Security  (Read 51466 times)

1986-2006 Nuke

Job Security
« on: Oct 30, 2011, 10:33 »
I would suggest that anyone looking into commercial nuke power look long and hard at the utility prior to committing and moving to that plant. Some of my friends there were "un-hired" during the training.  Condensed version.... If you do not maintain an 80% rolling average during your training... YOU WILL BE LET GO (and the precious Union won't help). Sorry if you bought a house, started your kids in school, used up your Navy move, etc, You WILL be looking for another source of income to live on!
Just a thought prior to agreeing to Southern Company. There are plenty of other utilities to look at first (Progress, FPL, Entergy, Excelon ...) Do your homework first.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2011, 11:34 by ArkansasHogs »

1986-2006 Nuke

SRO, RO job security during training!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2011, 10:42 »
I would suggest that anyone looking into commercial nuke power look long and hard at the utility prior to committing and moving to that plant. Some of my friends in GA are no longer employed. So here's the condensed version.... If you do not maintain an 80% rolling average during your training... YOU WILL BE LET GO (and the precious Union won't help). Sorry if you bought a house, started your kids in school, used up your Navy move, etc, You WILL be looking for another source of income to live on!
Just a thought prior to agreeing to Southern Company. There are plenty of other utilities to look at first (Progress, FPL, Entergy, Excelon ...) Do your homework first.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2011, 11:33 by ArkansasHogs »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Job Security
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2011, 10:44 »
Didn't maintain an 80, huh?
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: SRO, RO job security during training!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2011, 10:46 »
Double post.

Do you realize that industry wide, the minimum standard is 80?
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2011, 11:12 »
And all Utulities have probationary periods where you can be let go without any Union argument.

1986-2006 Nuke

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2011, 11:14 »
Actually, "TheHiggs", I am fortunately still employed. However, a few of my friends in GA are not. Not even at an Aux op position or any other spot within that company. :(
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2011, 11:38 by ArkansasHogs »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2011, 11:27 »
So then I guess they should've maintained standards, huh? I'm failing to see how maintaining and enforcing a standard is a problem.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2011, 11:28 by TheHiggs »

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2011, 11:51 »
And it is in the companies best interest to release someone who is not meeting the minimum standard before the probationary period is up. 

Offline storm13

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2011, 12:17 »
The question I'd have is 'Does the company try to help those who are below 80%, or do they just cut them loose with no investigating what the problems are?'.

If it's a one-time "< 80% score, you're out", that can be problematical.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2011, 12:24 »
I agree, but I bet a company isn't going to waste money on someone just to cut them loose with no assistance. But I could be wrong. We'll only get one side of the story here.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2011, 12:31 »
Good point Higgs, we had review boards and remediation plans..... You do not invest in a person to throw them away quickly.... They obviously had potential from passing the poss and interview.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2011, 01:44 »
So, if I get hired to be an SRO, but can't pass the the licensing class (meaning I can't do my job), I'll get fired? Sounds like real life to me.

MacGyver

« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2011, 02:04 »
I would suggest that anyone looking into commercial nuke power look long and hard at the utility prior to committing and moving to that plant. Some of my friends in GA are no longer employed. So here's the condensed version.... If you do not maintain an 80% rolling average during your training... YOU WILL BE LET GO (and the precious Union won't help). Sorry if you bought a house, started your kids in school, used up your Navy move, etc, You WILL be looking for another source of income to live on!

MacGyver

« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2011, 02:18 »
Actually, "TheHiggs", I am fortunately still employed. However, a few of my friends in GA are not. Not even at an Aux op position or any other spot within that company. :(

Maybe "THEY" should have started as NLO's instead of the often tried and very rarely accomplished Direct (INSTANT) SRO. 

Most if not all training programs are written for you to start as a "NON-LICENSED" operator and then transition to (the LICENSED operator positions) RO then SRO.

They offered you the money and the task to which you errr THEY can't seem to perform.  GAME OVER since you didn't hadn't filled the previous position (i.e. NLO) to fall back on.

If you had been an NLO first and failed to succeed at a LICENSE then you would have been returned to the position of NLO.

Morale of the story: Be careful what you wish for.  You might have bitten off more than you can chew!
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2011, 02:19 by MacGyver »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2011, 02:25 »
I would suggest that anyone looking into commercial nuke power look long and hard at the utility prior to committing and moving to that plant. Some of my friends in GA are no longer employed. So here's the condensed version.... If you do not maintain an 80% rolling average during your training... YOU WILL BE LET GO (and the precious Union won't help). Sorry if you bought a house, started your kids in school, used up your Navy move, etc, You WILL be looking for another source of income to live on!

* spoken in the voice of Roy D. Mercer *

" Ah say boah, idn't that there airfoil what y'all use to maintain a rolling-80 average throughout the NLO program? Ah think y'all must have been too dammm busy scoopin up all those fries in the serve-yerself box. Or maybe you can catch a golfcart ride with Bob..."

OK, in all seriousness....
1. Admiral Mullen failed your friends, and

2. Southern still hires the Nuclear Technician position, and lets people bid up to NLO or  even RO/SRO classes. That way, you learn the plant locations over time and have a position to fall back on. Otherwise, going straight from the street to RO class with no safety net results in the situation described above.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2011, 05:23 by HydroDave63 »

bigblackford

« Reply #15 on: Oct 30, 2011, 05:21 »
I would suggest that anyone looking into commercial nuke power look long and hard at the utility prior to committing and moving to that plant. Some of my friends there were "un-hired" during the training.  Condensed version.... If you do not maintain an 80% rolling average during your training... YOU WILL BE LET GO (and the precious Union won't help). Sorry if you bought a house, started your kids in school, used up your Navy move, etc, You WILL be looking for another source of income to live on!

Just curious did they do anything outside of their agreement at the time of employment? As it sounds the guys were told that they were to maintain a 80 or they would be dismissed, and the company done as it said. Now if this was the other way around and say the company said maintain a 95 and get a bonus then when you maintained your 95 would you expect the company to do as they said.  So in the end unless Southern Company broke their agreement, you are just mad that your buddy lost his job. I feel sorry for him and hope it works out, but Southern Company is not to blame here. As for buying a home and such that is no ones fault but his own, he knew the terms of employment.

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2011, 06:22 »
I would suggest that anyone looking into commercial nuke power look long and hard at the utility prior to committing and moving to that plant. Some of my friends in GA are no longer employed. So here's the condensed version.... If you do not maintain an 80% rolling average during your training... YOU WILL BE LET GO (and the precious Union won't help). Sorry if you bought a house, started your kids in school, used up your Navy move, etc, You WILL be looking for another source of income to live on!

You know what to do then? PASS YOUR G** ***N TESTS!
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011, 10:20 by Marlin »

ski2313

« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2011, 09:03 »
If you do not maintain an 80% rolling average during your training... YOU WILL BE LET GO

how is this different than any other employee in any other industry who is hired to do something and doesn't perform?

Offline jimbo0697

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2011, 08:46 »
This is what I can tell you about the firing at Southern Company and this is first hand as I am one of the individuals cut.  Our class started a pre class class.  This was a new program that was very spur of the moment.  Not pre GFES.  We all received a email from our supervisor that this is a "free look".  The first 6 weeks out of 9  The instructors both house and contracted pushed the fact that it was a "free look" to "prepare us for what to expect in license class".  Around the 6th week week we were hinted that it may become a screening process and by the 7th it was official.  As for the average it is cumulative as well as all the test.  We had 3 test left including the comp test to bring our average to a 85 from a 80.  With 7 test factored in it was impossible.  There was no disciplinary problems with me and the other guy.  I took them at their word when they said "free look".  I understand the time commitment required during license class and was prepared to give it.  So when they said free look instead of studying test banks like most I focused more on learning drawings and lesson plans.  When we were let go their was nothing that could be done.  No argument that could be given.   They didn't want to hear it.  I was not intimidated by the information presented.  Nor was did I think it was something I couldn't handle.  I believe that I have the ability and would have been licensed.  Be carefull when deciding to go to Southern Company. Managment care little. Their are many good people there.  It's great area with no job security. Ga is a right to work state. The lesson learned here is something I will never forget.  There are no free looks and everything is a evaluation. 

Offline Bleyse

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2011, 08:50 »
If you do not maintain an 80% rolling average during your training... YOU WILL BE LET GO (and the precious Union won't help).

Was this for an instant RO position?  If not, why would the 'precious union' have anything to do with it?

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:42 »
I am not trying to insult anyone but, These classes were not tough classes.  They were not to the level of a GFES program or license class.  If your in a class and you do not give it all your capable of, even if it is called a "free look", your making a big mistake.  A free look may often be used to see if a person is demonstrating the aptitude and dedication to make it through when it counts.  You are always being evaluated no matter what they call it.

I do have feelings for your situation and Southern is not always the most forgiving.  I also know that many of the exams questions were......A. Possum,  B.  Hog,  C.  Deer,  D.  RHR Pump     type questions (maybe a slight exaggeration but you get my meaning).

I am sorry that you have had to face this consequence and I hope you will be able to find gainful employment.  Don't give up but hopefully something positive can come out of it and also others that have read about your result will gain valuable insight also.

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2011, 10:44 »
By marginally passing a low cog course, you gave them the impression that you either:

A)  Don't care about learning their material.
B)  Can't make it through ILT.

50/50/90. 

As others have said, you're always being evaluated.  Our site runs a 3 week crash course on systems for the engineers.  If there are any pre-ILT candidates on site, they are required to attend.  We had a guy fail one of those laughable tests.  He was later dropped from ILT after the systems final, where he failed but still had an 81% overall.  His issues were a combination of A&B from above.

Yours is a tough lesson to learn, but they clearly expect better of their ILT candidates.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2011, 12:05 »
Um, I'm just guessing, but maybe "free look" meant a "free look at you for the company." At least, that is how it appears to have turned out.

Anyway, as s#$%@y as the situation is, I can't find much fault with the company.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2011, 12:58 by Marlin »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2011, 12:13 »
I'll bet if they haven't deviated too much from the height vs weight standards, they could probably catch the next CVN headed somewhere....
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2011, 03:20 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Gamma Glue

• Light User
  • If you're not first, you're last!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2011, 02:59 »
"Free Look"
If you do well, then it "looks" like you'll stay. If you do bad, then you're "free" to go work somewhere else.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?